Sponsored by:

New Car..Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Still... your lady let you have a Lambo and a Porsche... come on'... you need to be giving us the wisdom. What is your secret dude? ha!
Funny you mention this. My wife was 100% behind me getting a P car, or any other performance car for that matter. We also both ride motorcycles!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Funny you mention this. My wife was 100% behind me getting a P car, or any other performance car for that matter. We also both ride motorcycles!
Us as well.. I drive a gsx-r1000 and she drives a gsx-r750
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Us as well.. I drive a gsx-r1000 and she drives a gsx-r750
Awesome! Enjoy your new car!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks

Let me know what you find out as im curious on the options. I guess it does have the normal 315hp engine/tuning?

Any idea on the cabtop motor replacement??

Thanks
The C4S as explained to me was a response from the motor press that the 911 had become to watered down. It was seen as a big brother to the earlier produced Boxster. Porsche bowing to pressure offered the 'C4S' in 2002 with a combo sports package. However, the sportiness of the sports package is to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of them got the full treatement of M14, M30 options with lowered suspension, stiffer shocks, sport exhaust(have I mentioned 'sport' enough?), sport seats, and the GT2 wide body, with hub extensions for wider track, etc. It appears your C4S is one of the more watered down versions. The only package I note remaining is the sport seats, of course the widened body, and egg crate rear fender exits. Has the same engine as the NA 996 of that vintage, and of course the front diff for AWD.

The top motor repl was carried out because so few people use the sunroof the motor armature corrodes and the motor no longer turns. Or, some other failure mode.

BTW, due to the added weight, and bigger body panels the C4S wound up being slightly slower than the 996.2 counterpart. So - in making it more 'sporty' they made it go slower.

(snort)
Old 03-07-2017, 03:38 PM
eaks
Racer

Originally Posted by docmirror
The C4S as explained to me was a response from the motor press that the 911 had become to watered down. It was seen as a big brother to the earlier produced Boxster. Porsche bowing to pressure offered the 'C4S' in 2002 with a combo sports package. However, the sportiness of the sports package is to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of them got the full treatement of M14, M30 options with lowered suspension, stiffer shocks, sport exhaust(have I mentioned 'sport' enough?), sport seats, and the GT2 wide body, with hub extensions for wider track, etc. It appears your C4S is one of the more watered down versions. The only package I note remaining is the sport seats, of course the widened body, and egg crate rear fender exits. Has the same engine as the NA 996 of that vintage, and of course the front diff for AWD.

The top motor repl was carried out because so few people use the sunroof the motor armature corrodes and the motor no longer turns. Or, some other failure mode.

BTW, due to the added weight, and bigger body panels the C4S wound up being slightly slower than the 996.2 counterpart. So - in making it more 'sporty' they made it go slower.

(snort)
Good information. Thanks for your post.. I was surprised with how stiff the suspension was. The power figures aren't a big deal to me as I purchased this as a DD with winter duty. I almost went for the turbo but as a DD I thought the 4s would be great and save me ~$20k..

Makes sense about the sunroof motor I was just weirded out when they said cabtop (I was thinking vert)..

Thanks for all the info from everyone..
Old 03-07-2017, 03:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

It's still winter, if you are somewhere cold the suspension may just be cold-stiff. Only way to tell what shocks you have are crawl up in there and find out. May have sportier shocks, but it's not on the option code list as 014 or 030, etc. I'm no expert on these that's for certain.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 PM
eaks
Racer

It's still winter, if you are somewhere cold the suspension may just be cold-stiff. Only way to tell what shocks you have are crawl up in there and find out. May have sportier shocks, but it's not on the option code list as 014 or 030, etc. I'm no expert on these that's for certain.
For sure.. It was about 15 degrees Celcius when I test drove the car though and it still felt very stiff.. All service was done at the local porsche dealer and I dont see any replacement of suspension components in the service records.. We will see.. Im surprised that this wouldn't be pretty much fully optioned out at the price it was (although this doesn't concern me as I didn't even know this information prior to making my deal)..

Ill try and go through it in a bit more detail when I return back from my work trip..
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

I'm no expert on these that's for certain.
Doc, what in your wallet... oppps, sorry, the affect of commercials.

I mean, what's in your garage these days?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Doc, what in your wallet... oppps, sorry, the affect of commercials.

I mean, what's in your garage these days?
1963 Studebaker Avanti(SC)
1974 Matra Bagheera
1974 VW Manx type buggy
1983 Ferrari Mondial cab
1990 Porsche 928GT
1999 Porsche 996.1 AeroSport

Quick Reply: New Car..Couple questions..