Sponsored by:

Wheel refinishing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wheel refinishing....

I'm nearing time to replace my tires and I'm going to have my wheels refinished also. They are looking quite tired after 18 years.

I have 18" BBS Sport Classic II's finished in factory silver paint. (see pics)

I know nothing about this process. All I know is I would like to have them put back to factory new.

I'm planning on stopping by some local tire shops I've researched this week. I don't even know what to ask or what price to expect.

So....Are these worth refinishing? If so, about what price? Or, is it more cost effective to hunt down one's that are for sale already refinished.

I'm open to replacing these with a different brand and style altogether, but would really prefer having these redone unless I'm talked out of it for some reason, such as cost.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
rolex11
Pro

oops... here's pics.
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Around here, it's on the order of $200 per wheel. You won't get good quality replacements without spending considerably more.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I refinished a set of bmw wheels and it's a lot of work, sanding and leveling. prep is the key. it's and job I dont think I'd ever do again. if you can find a factory set in good shape for like 800 I'd do that and sell the ones you have
Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Timely post as i'm in the same situation, I have Carrera II 5 spokes and need new tyres.

I could have mine refurbished or buy better second hand wheels.

Although i'm wondering if there was a slight colour change between 02 and 04 (car is '04 wheels are date stamped '02)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Have had good luck with this place in the past. You can have them refinish your wheels, or you can buy already-refinished ones and trade yours in, which might result in a shorter turnaround.

http://wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html
Old 03-05-2017, 11:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the vendor @Wheel_Dynamics that posts in the 996 forum refinishes OEM wheels.

Imo, they're 100% worth refinishing as they're OEM, BBS & look great on 996s.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The problem with buying used wheels is they will still look used. I have the same wheels that you have and I had them refinished. I insisted on a place that would disassemble the wheels so that the rim and center are finished separately and the fasteners are still bare stainless steel. Turned out great! Also in the $225 per wheel cost range & includes mounting and balancing.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:33 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they're definitely worth refinishing and for a fraction of the cost of replacing them.

I bought a set of spares (identical) for my car, and am having the originals refinished as we speak. It was about $700 the first time, but since I've been back with other wheels a few times, and brought them some business / repeat business they're cutting me a deal.

different places do different things. The shop I use strips them down entirely and fixes any curbing / grooves etc. then bakes a primer coat on - if they need any CNC milling done (offset embossing etc) they have the machines to do that too - as well as mixed finishes (black w/ brushed metal, etc) mine are just the factory metallic Porsche silver - I don't know the specific code for mine, but they do.

Here are a few photos in process. I pick them up tomorrow with the new paint and I anticipate they will look perfect and as new, all for much less than the price of 1 new rim.

These images show 'before', stripping, in process, and the primer coating.

Note the curbing in the 'before' pic - top right, very similar to what the OP's look like.

- Dan
Old 03-06-2017, 01:22 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I think they're definitely worth refinishing and for a fraction of the cost of replacing them.

I bought a set of spares (identical) for my car, and am having the originals refinished as we speak. It was about $700 the first time, but since I've been back with other wheels a few times, and brought them some business / repeat business they're cutting me a deal.

different places do different things. The shop I use strips them down entirely and fixes any curbing / grooves etc. then bakes a primer coat on - if they need any CNC milling done (offset embossing etc) they have the machines to do that too - as well as mixed finishes (black w/ brushed metal, etc) mine are just the factory metallic Porsche silver - I don't know the specific code for mine, but they do.

Here are a few photos in process. I pick them up tomorrow with the new paint and I anticipate they will look perfect and as new, all for much less than the price of 1 new rim.

These images show 'before', stripping, in process, and the primer coating.

Note the curbing in the 'before' pic - top right, very similar to what the OP's look like.

- Dan
Would you mind sharing what you paid for this complete refurbishing process? This is the way I was thinking of going. Thanks you.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rolex11 - I'm getting a "bro deal" at about $140 per wheel. But I've done 3 sets of my other wheels (BMW, MBZ, and Porsche) with them - plus sent them about 5 repeat referrals over the past couple of years. I would budget for $200-$230 per wheel depending on what the cost of living is where you are. Here fixer-upper homes can tap a million, gas is $3.50 a gallon, and eggs are like 9 bucks a dozen, so naturally - everything else is a little more too. It may be cheaper (or more expensive) where you live.

The normal price at this shop is about $740 for a set of 19" wheels finished in 1 color.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Rolex11 - I'm getting a "bro deal" at about $140 per wheel. But I've done 3 sets of my other wheels (BMW, MBZ, and Porsche) with them - plus sent them about 5 repeat referrals over the past couple of years. I would budget for $200-$230 per wheel depending on what the cost of living is where you are. Here fixer-upper homes can tap a million, gas is $3.50 a gallon, and eggs are like 9 bucks a dozen, so naturally - everything else is a little more too. It may be cheaper (or more expensive) where you live.

The normal price at this shop is about $740 for a set of 19" wheels finished in 1 color.
Thanks for sharing......
Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I just had all four of my Sport Classic II 18"'s done by a "local" (local in quotes because they're about 50 miles away...) L.I. shop. I got their # from my local Porsche dealer. At first I was only going to have my two passenger side wheels done, as the lips had deep gouges in them. I got lucky in the fact that when I dropped the wheels off, the guy that took them in quoted me at $150/wheel. I was pleasantly surprised, and assumed I got a wholesale price or something (The Porsche dealer told me they pay $175/wheel, and my original phone quote was $190/wheel)...I didn't argue. After picking up the redone wheels, they looked so good that I decided to get the other two done. Upon bringing them up to the shop to drop them off, the guy gives me a quote of $235/wheel! I was like, whoa dude - "I just had two others done two weeks ago for $150 ea.". So he asks me who gave me the price, and leaves to go talk to the guy. About 5 minutes later, my original guy comes out and explains to me that he gave me the price for a one piece wheel... Ahahhhhhhh, I say and thank him profusely So, as the Sport Classic II's are two piece wheels, they take them apart strip the centers and weld and re-machine the lips. It was really easy to agree to the $200/ea price - especially considering I only paid $300 for the first two. The wheels came out looking brand new - they really do a beautiful job. You can't buy refurbished wheels for the cost of having them done, so it's really a no-brainer. Good luck
Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done 3 sets of that very same wheel on 3 different cars. Did them all different. Will get some pix on here with explanation.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
the vendor @Wheel_Dynamics that posts in the 996 forum refinishes OEM wheels.
Was going to suggest them too. Have a set of Carrera IIs they did. Great company to work with. They can also change the color too if you want a new look.

Imo, they're 100% worth refinishing as they're OEM, BBS & look great on 996s.
Would also agree with this. If you still like those wheels, getting a like new set will cost WAY more than refinishing them.

Quick Reply: Wheel refinishing....