996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Socket purchase -noob question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

funny this thread brought out a few TOOLS that are on a cheap o budget .....even one that posted a kit for ken to work on barbies car......how cute
Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

^^speaking of tools^^
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and tinkerbells
Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
and yet...it works. I have a bunch of pittsburgh wrenches. I guess I got lucky because they fit fasteners well, hold up just fine, and can be used as a hammer with no worries.

Not to mention, who the hell are you? Your opinion about HF tools is just that. My opinion is that some, not all, harbor freight tools work perfectly fine.
Holy sheet! Oliver, you're going soft on us, being all reasonable and everything. Where's the fun in that? I mean, really, we have a thing. We all know how it works: you come in here, insult us and our cars, then we bash you back to the lawn-mower engined forum. It works. For all of us. Don't screw that up now.

Originally Posted by extanker
and tinkerbells
Now, there's the response we were all waiting for. extinker, I thought for a little while that you were going soft on us, too. Thank God you came back around. You are the wind beneath my wings . . .

Old 03-07-2017, 11:11 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
and tinkerbells
OUCH! That's just brutal!!!

"Now, there's the response we were all waiting for. extinker, I thought for a little while that you were going soft on us, too. Thank God you came back around. You are the wind beneath my wings . . ."

^^Just what we need, a lawyer to fan the flames of dissent^^
Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^That^ is a **** poor analogy...
a·nal·o·gy
əˈnaləjē/Submit
noun
a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies"
a correspondence or partial similarity.
"the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia"
a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects.
"works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature"...
Tires have real handling and safety benefits, as well as huge variables due to weather, temperature, road conditions and driving parameters. In the case of a socket, it either works or it doesn't. A Snap-On socket of the proper size doesn't tighten a bolt or nut any better or differently than a HF socket of the proper size. While the question of whether it's suitable for professional applications is real and somewhat relevant, it's already been addressed several times in this thread and I think we all agree that (at least some) HF tools probably aren't up to the standards of professional use. To say HF stuff is garbage is just silly... Marketing people love cool-aide drinkers
this is the exact response from someone who doesn't have a clue. You can use whatever you want and justify it anyway you want. If you like the elcheapo crap and want to use that garbage on your stuff, then by all means use it. And my tire analogy was spot on...you just proved it
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
This post makes zero sense to me...it's like buying the cheapest tires you can for your car, as most people are not pros and would never exploit the benefits of a good tires. Then these same people wonder why their tireso are crap in the rain, or just crap in general. I personally don't care what people use. But to say the HF stuff is fine is BS, it's garbage and no amount of justification will change that
So you are saying that you should buy the most expensive tires regardless of the use and need? More $$ makes it better?

Saying all HF tools are garbage is BS.
I know several top mechanics that have a few HF tools. Do they use them everyday, probably not. They are for a few odd tasks they don't do very often and didn't want to spend 10x the cost

Plain and simple

you are a TOOL SNOB

Last edited by JayG; 03-07-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

this is the exact response from someone who doesn't have a clue. You can use whatever you want and justify it anyway you want. If you like the elcheapo crap and want to use that garbage on your stuff, then by all means use it. And my tire analogy was spot on...you just proved it
Uh, I put the definition of ANALOGY in my response for your benefit... In case you missed it, this is the simplest form: a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects. I then explained why a tire is not particularly analogous to a socket. Since you're having difficulty with this concept, I think we should just agree to disagree and end this exercise right here.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally, my cars have never complained or written me snarky facebook posts late at night about how they don't want to be touched by HF tools.

Anyone else see the irony in the concept of a novice buying really expensive tools to do trivial tasks on an almost fully depreciated ~15 year old car? Just sayin'

-td
Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Personally, my cars have never complained or written me snarky facebook posts late at night about how they don't want to be touched by HF tools.

Anyone else see the irony in the concept of a novice buying really expensive tools to do trivial tasks on an almost fully depreciated ~15 year old car? Just sayin'

-td
Guy buys HF tools, yet spends money on a IMS bearing and calls it a wear item
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't buy snap on and my tool still works very well thank you. I fail to see the relationship.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy buys HF tools, yet spends money on a IMS bearing and calls it a wear item
You are a tool snob......

90% of my impact sockets are Pittsburgh. Regular sockets are craftsman, my long wrenches are Pittsburgh. My ratcheting wrenches are between EZ-red and GearWrench. My picks are snap-on, screwdrivers are a mixed bag, and punches are Astro and Tekton. My specialty sockets are either MBenz or Snap-on variants. Internal and external torx are pittsburgh. Electric and air tools are Snap on and Ingersoll Rand. Electrical testing is MBenz master kit and Lisle.

The days of snap-on being the best in tools are long over. In addition, they are grossly overpriced, and guess what, they still break.
At least with HF tools, the few occasions they have broken, I don't have to wait a week to get a replacement.

Respectfuly
Dealer Technician.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The poor OP...
Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI - slight amendment to my position and earlier post. As I finished up my front brakes I took note of what HF tools I had used. I have a set of 3/8" drive hex and torx bits that have held up very nicely and work great. I also used a 4lb sledge, set of punches (the subsequently flattened on the ends), jack stands, and a few socket extensions. I also have a 32mm impact socket that I purchased specifically for the timing chain tensioners - it is 6 point, and very solid. But, I also have a pile of HF tools that are essentially garbage: wire strippers/crimper, set of picks, snap ring pliers. With Craftsman - there essentially are essentially no 'duds' - every tool from that brand has held up beyond reason and work as expected.

That said, I still have had enough experiences where a cheap or inferior tool has lead to headache, additional trips to the store, the need to buy replacements parts/bolts/etc. When I come across something that absolutely needs to be done right I go with Craftsman.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

for HF i always look at their reviews online, some stuff is junk but their wrenches / sockets i have never had any issues with but i use the canadian mastercraft ones most of the time

Quick Reply: Socket purchase -noob question