Sponsored by:

Recommendations for 996 Brake Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:23 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Recommendations for 996 Brake Pads & Rotors

Hey folks! Does anyone have any recommendations for brake pads and rotors? I'm looking on Pelican Parts and there is a huge selection from half a dozen brands or more, including Porsche OEM, that cover a pretty broad price range.

For example, $60+ for Bosch brake pads vs. $150+ for Porsche OEM. I'm sure there's a difference in quality but is it that noticeable? Same sort of multipliers for the rotors too.

Anyone have any go-to favorites out there?? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Is it just a take it easy daily or are you driving it very hard, tracking etc. for moderate street use, sebro rotors and textar pads. if you hate brake dust ebc red or akebono ceramic are fine.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Hawk makes some nice street pads for the 996. The HPS (High Performance Street) have a long service life, will work if you decide to autocross or try out a drivers ed event, low dust and easy on rotors.

Info on both in the links below. If you have any questions about them we will be happy to answer them for you.

Fronts: http://www.ogracing.com/hawk-hb291f-...d-hps-compound

Rears: http://www.ogracing.com/hawk-hb290f-...d-hps-compound

Kind regards,
Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are correct there is a vast variety of materials and performance levels when it comes to brakes. Also vendors that compete for the lowest price and your business. There is the Original Equipment "Porsche Brand" pads, then there is Original Equipment Manufacture like the Brand "Textar" for example who actually manufactures some brake pads for Porsche then stamps the Porsche Brand name on the pads and charges the Porsche brand tax for the same darn part. Keep that in mind because most car manufactures are not in the business of making their own car parts. Most parts are always manufactured by someone else then paid to stamp the car's brand name on the same part then charge more. With that said its the same for the rotors
So the real choice would then depend on the driving style you will submit the car to and the performance you would want out of it. Perhaps others can chime in with more personal recommendations of products they have used and that work best for them.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Search function is your friend
Try it, you will like like it
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Is it just a take it easy daily or are you driving it very hard, tracking etc. for moderate street use, sebro rotors and textar pads. if you hate brake dust ebc red or akebono ceramic are fine.
Thanks for the advice!! This is just for daily driving, no for track use.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by James McGrath
Hey folks! Does anyone have any recommendations for brake pads and rotors? I'm looking on Pelican Parts and there is a huge selection from half a dozen brands or more, including Porsche OEM, that cover a pretty broad price range.

For example, $60+ for Bosch brake pads vs. $150+ for Porsche OEM. I'm sure there's a difference in quality but is it that noticeable? Same sort of multipliers for the rotors too.

Anyone have any go-to favorites out there?? Thanks!
If you're just going to drive it on the street I'd just get the Textar pads that are OE, but without the Porsche brand stamped on them. Save lots of money that way. For rotors I've had good luck with Meyle, which come with a nice non-rusty coating on them, and cost barely over $100 a set for these cars.

If you're going racing then maybe you want to spend more on track-ish pads, which of course touches off a hugely long and drawn-out discussion of which is best
Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Hawk makes some nice street pads for the 996. The HPS (High Performance Street) have a long service life, will work if you decide to autocross or try out a drivers ed event, low dust and easy on rotors.

Info on both in the links below. If you have any questions about them we will be happy to answer them for you.

Fronts: http://www.ogracing.com/hawk-hb291f-...d-hps-compound

Rears: http://www.ogracing.com/hawk-hb290f-...d-hps-compound

Kind regards,
Thank you Mark, most appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayG
Extremely useful advice, thank you.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Originally Posted by Device2
You are correct there is a vast variety of materials and performance levels when it comes to brakes. Also vendors that compete for the lowest price and your business. There is the Original Equipment "Porsche Brand" pads, then there is Original Equipment Manufacture like the Brand "Textar" for example who actually manufactures some brake pads for Porsche then stamps the Porsche Brand name on the pads and charges the Porsche brand tax for the same darn part. Keep that in mind because most car manufactures are not in the business of making their own car parts. Most parts are always manufactured by someone else then paid to stamp the car's brand name on the same part then charge more. With that said its the same for the rotors
So the real choice would then depend on the driving style you will submit the car to and the performance you would want out of it. Perhaps others can chime in with more personal recommendations of products they have used and that work best for them.
Excellent advice, thank you!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
say it isn't so......really? (<<<< wink, wink emoji)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

rockauto.com

Rotor from $32-160
Pads from $5-46

Consumable, if you are just street driving. These will provide more than adequate stopping under any non-track condition.

edit; plus ship of course.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Sebro or Zimmerman rotors are what I recommend. They're perfect for street and track applications. I, personally, prefer slotted/vented rotors vs. drilled. The Sebro's offer a slotted/vented rotor that are a great choice.

Porsche 996 (1999-2005) - Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 5

For pads, Akebono is a great low dust street pad. I'd suggest those pads or HAWK. If you aren't going to do any track time the Akebono and the HAWK Ceramic pads are what I recommend. The HAWK Ceramics are low dust and noise. I also run Ate Typ200 brake fluid (run it for street & track) for a really great brake pedal feel. Textar is also not a bad choice and perfectly fine for a street application pad replacement.

Ate Super Gold Typ200 - Porsche 996 (1999-2005) - Brake Hydraulics - Page 2
Akebono - Porsche 996 (1999-2005) - Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 1
HAWK - Porsche 996 (1999-2005) - Brake Performance Upgrades - Page 4

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the items I listed.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
GreatCornjoelio (03-15-2024)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To avoid this becoming just an opinion piece, suggest you search for a more updated comparison like this:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/
EBC yellow looking the best here.No mention of brands like Akebono
This may help:
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/cate...?category=Pads
Hawk looking good
Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
To avoid this becoming just an opinion piece, suggest you search for a more updated comparison like this:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/
EBC yellow looking the best here.No mention of brands like Akebono
This may help:
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/cate...?category=Pads
Hawk looking good
Good info, thanks for sharing

P.S. Perfect timing because I am in need of pads for the front.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for 996 Brake Pads & Rotors