Sponsored by:

2004 996 getting ready for Zone2 DE events. Having Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:39 PM
ciscovip
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 getting ready for Zone2 DE events. Having Issues

Has anyone installed the Fabspeed O2 relocation kit? I am having a hard time with it. They sent me what seems to be a 45 degree angle kit for the O2 sensors. However, it seem that there is not enough room for the OS sensors because the extension hit the engine cradle. Also is there a special tool is needed to remove the left O2 sensor? Having a hard time getting it off. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ciscovip
Has anyone installed the Fabspeed O2 relocation kit? I am having a hard time with it. They sent me what seems to be a 45 degree angle kit for the O2 sensors. However, it seem that there is not enough room for the OS sensors because the extension hit the engine cradle. Also is there a special tool is needed to remove the left O2 sensor? Having a hard time getting it off. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
All I can suggest is you cal Fabspeed and confirm it sent you the right kit for your car. Is the kit for a stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust? What exhaust does your car have?

No special tool needed for O2 sensor removal as far as I know. Well, check that. When I removed the sensors in my Boxster I picked up the proper sized hydraulic fitting wrench. A modified box end wrench with a narrow opening in it to fit over a hydraulic line or the wiring lead of an O2 sensor. The wrench works on more flats than a simple open end/adjustable wrench which is nice as often the sensor is pretty tight.

Be sure you are turning the sensor the right direction.

If you use some kind of thread loosening fluid on the sensor this can damage the sensor so you have to be careful what you use. Preferrably nothing unless you are going to replace the sensor. Even then you have to be careful you do not contaminate the new sensor with any thing you used to remove the old sensor.

Do not clean the sensor, its electrical connector (some sensors "breathe" through the wiring lead and any cleaner affects this), and do not lube the sensor.

I've only removed an old sensor and replaced it with a new one. These are like spark plugs to me. They are an install and forget until time to replace then remove and replace with a new one. They are not intended to be removed for any reason then installed again.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 PM
ciscovip
Track Day

The car currently have a Fabspeed exhaust and X pipe. I will reach out to them to see if I got wrong Os sensor extender. Thanks for responding
Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the SpeedTech X-pipe, which looks to have the same shape and size. I used 90 degree spacers with no trouble. I could see where a 45 might be a problem though.

I pulled my sensors with an open end wrench. They do make a special O2 sensor socket though that is open for the wiring.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:29 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

This is the one I used on my Boxster, and I think Harbor Freight has the same one for a lot cheaper:

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 PM
ciscovip
Track Day

Thanks for the info. I reached out to Fabspeed and hey want me to send back the 45 degree connector before they send me the 90 degree connector. I got a open end wrench and sensors are out of the car now . It would have been nice if Fabspeed would have sent me the 90 first and then I return the 45s. But I have to just wait. Thanks again for sharing.

Last edited by ciscovip; 03-01-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 getting ready for Zone2 DE events. Having Issues