Sponsored by:

1st time autocross advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 PM
hubdawg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time autocross advice

Looking to try autocross for the first time in April and was hoping for any hints or tips. I've only had my 2000 996 6sp cabriolet a short time and most of that has been in winter storage. Anything helps.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get it to a shop that knows about track events and have it gone over. Fix anything that will be a safety issue and make sure you've got good tires. Then show up and enjoy.

Since it's your first, join your PCA's AX school rather than going to a full event. That will give you a chance to get some instruction both in how to drive it as well as how the events work.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Outside of taking it to someone...

1. As gnat said, make sure your tires are in good shape. Check the date of manufacture, as well. Even if you have plenty of tread depth, older tires can chunk on the outer edges pretty easily when they experience heat and cornering at an AX. I am not necessarily recommending that you replace them before the event, but if they are 5+ years old, they might not survive, regardless of tread depth. Be ready to replace.

2. Brakes and fluid. Make sure your front brakes have more pad material than backing plate. Rears have a little more leniency for AX, but you need at least as much as the backing plate to pass most PCA tech inspection. If you don't remember flushing your brake fluid and it has been a few years, you should probably do it. You are going to generate way more heat in an AX session than you car sees on the street. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it absorbs water over time, even in what should be a closed system.

3. Updated coolant cap. If the part number on your coolant cap is .00 or .01, replace it. It costs ~$30. The part has been updated several times since .01. Make sure the area around your coolant cap doesn't look at all crystallized.

4. Have an open mind and have fun.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 PM
hubdawg
AutoX

Brand new tires and 25K service completed at dealer
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Forget about car prep. If your car will pass state inspection, it's fine. Just make sure all your fluids are topped up, your lug bolts are tight, and you take all the loose stuff out of the floor and glovebox. Alignments, tire pressures, etc. etc. won't matter your first event. I wouldn't even bother removing your spare tire on your first event; the extra 15 lbs is meaningless for a novice. On a given day at an autocross you're going to get 5 minutes of track time, 1 minute at a time, spread out over the day. You won't heat your brakes enough for fade to be an issue, as you'll only use them a handful of times per run. If your tires have legal minimum tread, you're fine. As others have mentioned, less tire can actually be better; novices pushing too hard on brand new tires can rip chunks off of them.

2. Take it easy. You are going to be really slow no matter how hard you try So you might as well not abuse the car. See above about chunking tires. My first autocross I drove WAY too hard. I beat the crap out of my tires, and I was still horribly slow. As I improved I realized slow and smooth is faster than aggressive. If your tires are screaming, you're doing it wrong.

3. Forget about shifting gears. Launch in 1st, shift to 2nd, and then leave it alone the rest of the run.

4. Befriend people who know what they're doing. Find experts to walk the course with in the morning. Ask about what lines they think are good. Ride along with people as much as you're allowed to. Don't hesitate to ask people for rides; most are happy to take a passenger. Take advantage!

5. HAVE FUN! Don't get frustrated if you're slow at first, or if you have trouble finding the course. You're going to improve REALLY fast as you get more runs under your belt and learn from experts.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I assume you will have an instructor in the car? Listen to his advice. Don't try to be the fastest guy out there your first event. If you are nailing cones right and left, you are going too fast for your skill level. You will be given LOTS of advice, but don't expect to absorb it all. Don't worry about that. It takes time. On of the hardest things at first is to look far enough ahead. Try not to focus on the cones right in front of you. Look ahead at least to the next turning point. Further as you gain experience. Most important... have FUN!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't hit the corner workers
Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
Wait. I was told you got a 3s bonus for each one you hit.

No wonder I've never been invited back...
Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Get another set of tires ready...
Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Number one tip. EYES UP.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
Now that's setting the bar low
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Stop by Hertz and rent a car.

Get the insurance.

Go for it.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^
dat rite

some locations have 911s and Boxsters
Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Next non-points event I think I will do that!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

100% agree about the advice to ask for rides. Great way to get a feel for what's possible on the course.

Get there plenty early and don't hesitate to walk the course many, many, many times in the morning. Find the important cones that will serve as your landmarks for where you need to be headed. Nothing is more frustrating than driving a course and still trying to figure out what direction you need to be going instead of figuring out how you need to be driving each section.

Let the organizers know you're a novice and generally they will provide someone to ride with you to instruct. Can't overstate how helpful this kind of feedback is.

Most importantly don't get frustrated, relax and enjoy yourself!

Quick Reply: 1st time autocross advice