Sponsored by:

New to me 2002 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Balu
Up until now no mention of the IMS bearing.
What's that?

No,actually. The IMS bearing status is unknown. Although there was much learning and research in the process. I probably didn't want to write about it fearing responses that would create even more fear, uncertainty, and doubt (guilt?). But...... there are several factors involved which I'll try to describe below.

The situation: The Tip transmission is a remanufactured one, no cosmoline, no serial number, or anything on it. The Indy said that the serial number is applied upon installation with a remanufactured Tip and apparently that didn't happen. The aging (dirt, corrosion) is not the same as the rest of the stuff under the car. It is also very clear that the engine and transmission have both been removed at some point, the mounting bolts and stuff are marked up presumably by sockets. And consulting with my Indy we both could not think of a failure (except IMSB) that might cause this removal. Its a Tip so no clutch to service. Therefore, we increased the probability that the ISMB had been serviced at some point at the time when the trans was replaced -- assuming this work happened after this failure mode became known (I wish I knew what year the ISMB problem became widely known). I was under the car also for close to 1/2 an hour inspecting while it was up on his lift.

There is essentially no sign of oil in the joint between engine and trans. There is a little dark material (an ancient seep of oil perhaps) no wetness, almost solid, fully covered with dirt and not recent.

The estimate to replace the bearing is $4,400+ parts and labor. I was told that the C4 Tip cars require removal of both the engine and transmission at the same time, and then they have to split after removal -- I have yet to confirm this, so please speak up if anyone knows. This shop does only the LN engineering double row replacement for all cars simply because of the great track record for that part. Everything I am describing was all in consultation with the founder/owner (John) who drives a 996.1 with over 200K miles and has been a highly regarded shop here in San Diego for over 40 years.

I kinda like the roller bearing (is it EPS?) and don't like the oil fed solid bearing from Raby, nor the pressure fed bearing cover from Pedro. Mainly I can't see tapping into the oil lines unless the engineering for these taps included analysis of oil pressure under various RPMs. I don't want the oil pressure reduced for other needs and don't want "new oil lines and stuff" routed around the engine. And I didn't see this kind of engineering going into those products. The solid bearing from "The Solution" might be good, but I would want to know that the materials and tolerances are all up to Porsche standards.

And then... what about the advice of change oil frequently and drive it like a Porsche. This seems to make more sense if the OEM ISMB grease cap / cover has been removed, else I can't see how these actions would increase the probability of getting oil to the bearing.

And then there is the other advice:
1. Tips fail more because they are probably driven by gentle drivers who don't get the RPMs up to splash / move the oil. I've seen no data or explanation to support this claim and would only make sense if the OEM bearing grease shields have already deteriorated. And I've not seen any data that indicates if the grease shields fail more rapidly in low or high RPM cars.
2. I think LN engineering said they've shipped something like 17,000 units, so what about the other 80,000 cars that haven't been retrofitted -- many of them will go on without ISMB ever failing.

So yeah, it isn't the most comfortable situation to be in. Indy advice is to replace the ISMB when the trans has to be removed for some other reason.

For now I am going to drive it. I know it is a $20K risk, but $4,400 insurance is a really high rate when there are signs the bearing might have been serviced.

And then, to confuse even more, I went to the Porsche dealer to get the maintenance records. And there were exactly 0 (zero) entries for the life of the car. This suggests it was all handled by Indy shops.

It is a very confusing car -- it is in such excellent condition overall, I think there is some probability that this car had some special handling or some special caretaker. The visible flaws, really, are a barely visible stone chip, a small scratch down low on the front spoiler, and 3 little knicks on the plastic bezel for the ignition key. That's about it. The rest of it is perfect and like brand new. The engine has a very mild layer of dust, almost like it has only 10K miles or something. I didn't even know it was this good until I got it home and did some "relaxed" further inspection and learning the systems.

So, how does this happen with 80K miles? I can only come up with one scenario: for example it was the car of a Porsche dealer's family member and they never charged for the services performed. Or..... what have you, let's be creative. This part I hate, bought all other Porsches knowing pretty well what its history was.

I just don't know. So I am going to drive it, and see what more I can learn, and not panic and rush into something.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Roland
Old 02-27-2017, 10:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
I was told that the C4 Tip cars require removal of both the engine and transmission at the same time, and then they have to split after removal -- I have yet to confirm this, so please speak up if anyone knows.
Roland
I don't actually KNOW this, but I would highly doubt it. Removal of the front shaft is straightforward. Remove of the tip trans is not much diff than the manual. Maybe some cooling lines, and cable connectors, etc.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 AM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Paraphrase as you will,don't forget the bravo!
If you want to sell the ambers I'm first in line
Arctic silver rocks! Grey interior not so much! IMO

Last edited by Balu; 02-28-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Mainly I can't see tapping into the oil lines unless the engineering for these taps included analysis of oil pressure under various RPMs.
I did that work for 7+ years before any of you even knew the IMS Solution existed. This is why we exclusively pull oil from the spin on filter adaptor, and no where else on the engine. I have tried every other location, and all had caveats, except this location.

With my IMS Solution there's no "tapping in" to any line, or existing orifice on the engine. The fitment is created by the installation of the specially manufactured spin on filter adaptor that routes just filtered oil to the IMS Solution.

In my direst testing carried out with 32 different engines, this fitment has in 100% of the cases resulted in GREATER oil volume to the engine internals than with the stock arrangement, as long as someone follows the directives on which oil filter is recommended for the IMS Solution. You read right, this alteration increases oil flow, even though the IMS Solution uses 2cc of oil per minute, when measured at 100C.

The IMS Solution was not a haphazardly developed component. I did all of this test work personally, and spent 1/4 of my life with this one product. If you have questions, direct them here. If you have assumptions, please clarify those before posting. Thats what I am here for (the only damn reason).
Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

That's a pretty car. Congratulations! Sweet Vanagon too!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Thanks about the Vanagon. The Syncro Vanagon model has factory AWD like the C4, same viscous coupler technology. And yeah I love it, its a keeper. But with that and the 2 Porsches I have 20 CV boots to maintain! Yuk.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

- Get a 2nd key, it only came with one.
Way more expensive than you are probably expecting... Not the key as much as the dealer programming.

Find the cabin air filter and check it.
Super easy... Up next to the battery on passenger side. Filters available on Amazon.

Test the spare tire air compressor
More likely the flat-fix has hardened... replace that as well. And with all no-spare-tire Porsches, a AAA+ membership is worthwhile.

- I already went to the Porsche Dealer to get past maintenance records. As opposed to the usual sound advice, this car came with very few past maintenance records.
If you don't have good records, make sure you get your fluids changed (engine, transmission, brake fluid for sure, probably coolant as well). Also, a preventive maintenance change on the water pump might not be a bad idea. Also a relatively inexpensive and easy DIY job. Spark plugs too. Check coil packs for signs of cracking.

Buy or make a couple of plugs for the 2 holes for license plate on the front bumper cover. I will run without the front plate.
www.bumperplugs.com.

Bluetooth radio options.
iSimple tranzit blue (
here here
) is a good option. Works with the OEM MOST radio, fairly inexpensive (under $100), bluetooth phone and streaming audio. The other option is the Dension system, which is WAY more expensive, WAY more complicated, and IMHO a huge pile of ****. Yes, I had one.

Investigate the motor mounts -- I've been reading that subject on the forum, and it is possible my exhaust tips are sagging. But the PPI should have picked that up somehow.
PPI's miss all kinds of stuff. OEM style motor mounts are very likely shot, are fairly inexpensive and easy to change yourself. You can also buy more expensive 'high performance' semi-solid motor mounts, but the OEM ones at about $180/pr will really improve shifting, handling, noise/vibration/harshness.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

For now I am going to drive it. I know it is a $20K risk, but $4,400 insurance is a really high rate
I agree... If you want much cheaper insurance, buy an IMS Guardian Jr. magnetic chip detector if you can find one. It's one of Jake's best products IMHO, but he doesn't promote it and I'm not sure he even sells it anymore.

Early warning for IMS bearing failure.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks about the Vanagon. The Syncro Vanagon model has factory AWD like the C4, same viscous coupler technology. And yeah I love it, its a keeper. But with that and the 2 Porsches I have 20 CV boots to maintain! Yuk.
my my parents had an '87 Wolfsburg Vanagon. Replaced it with a '90 auto trans. My dad still drives it. At some point, I will inherit it. Thought about dropping a 996 tip motor and trans in it ...
Great cars though.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM
911Syncro
Pro

@pfbz: Wow, that is a nice set of suggestions and leads. Very much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I checked this car out when it was still on the lot and I thought it looked nice and well taken care of. Glad you got a car that you like and I envision many years of driving pleasure ahead for you.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I agree... If you want much cheaper insurance, buy an IMS Guardian Jr. magnetic chip detector if you can find one. It's one of Jake's best products IMHO, but he doesn't promote it and I'm not sure he even sells it anymore.

Early warning for IMS bearing failure.
He said there are no plans to make anymore at this time.
I do hope he decides to make another run.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
He said there are no plans to make anymore at this time.
I do hope he decides to make another run.
Cheap, knock- off IMS kits killed the Guardian demand. Until a distributor will order at least 150 units, we won't be making any more Guardians.

I dont see that happening. See what cheap crap does to the market?

Quick Reply: New to me 2002 C4S