Sponsored by:

Octane rating

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
I think the Ultra94 up here does have Ethanol, but in Canada it can be hit and miss. It is added in sometime during the delivery process IIRC. I the next time I get some U94 I will take a sample and do the home test. I could always remove the Cats and run Aviation 100LL (Big Octane and always Zero Ethanol), but I think I would get a lot of CEL lights flashing at me. It is a bit tricky (aka illegal) to use in a car. The airport fuelers can only put it into an actual aircraft, no jerry cans allowed. But my current aircraft has 140 Gal fuel tanks, so I have a good built-in storage system

I did run 100LL in a modified MGB back in the early 80s. It worked just fine, the CAT was removed and I was running high compression heads, but in those days the avgas access was a wee-bit easier.

Just joking
When I moved to Colorado from Texas 10 years ago I needed 100LL to run in my modified Harley. While in Texas I'd just go to the local A/P (San Marcos) and fill up my 5 gallon can - no problems. I showed up at Centennial A/P in Colorado with my 5 gallon can and asked for a "fill-up" and you would have thought I was asking for their first born children - they said "no" and BTW it's against the law. So I asked where I might find some 100LL and a fellow Harley rider told me to go to JeffCo A/P - they had a self service pump for aircraft with 100LL. I drove out there, right up to the pump and filled my can - only issue was the size of the nozzle. Sold the bike so don't know if that self-serve option is still available.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:47 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still self-serve options at a lot of small airports in both the US and Canada. But you 'technically' are only suppose to buy that gas for use in an aircraft. But if I was questioned about putting some in a 5-Gal cans, I would say it is for my Piper Cub, which is back on my Farm Strip. At our main airport (YBW) I even had the fuel guy turn me down when I asked that he fill up my aircraft Tug, which needed about 5 Gals. I then said hey you know as soon as you leave I will drain 5 Gal from my wings, and then call you back to top up my aircraft. He swore, but did fill up my Tug.

You are right you would need a Gas Can with a Big *** Mouth, as the aviation style fillers are normally some 2" wide.

It is not 100LL, but another way to get ethanol free gas is to buy it from a marina. At least up here all Marine gas is still ethanol free. But it is still mostly 91 Octane. They will pump into cans, they leave it up to you to make sure that gas goes into a boat.

Quick Reply: Octane rating