Sponsored by:

Speeding Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:56 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Yeah, bigger market and demand. Unfortunate that some do-gooders are fixated on speed without considering other factors. Surprise, surprise the Germans haven't wiped themselves out driving on unrestricted autobahns.

Hope you enjoy NZ, there are lots of amazing roads here - if you drove to Hanmer Springs from Picton or Nelson, this will look familiar. Just gotten back from South Island driving my wife's BMW, which was powerful enough for 100KW, apart from the annoying turbo lag.
And surprise surprise, speed absolutely kills. I'm all for limits, I'd rather not have self proclaimed driving experts on the same roads as my family showing off just how well or lack there of they drive. They make tracks for that sort of thing, get off your wallet and use one
Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by mharrison
One thing I like about Mississippi, we passed laws prohibiting red light cameras and speed cameras due to the inability to face your accuser.
Our city got rid of all that stuff a few years ago. It was all being monitored by a private company. Between the massive fee they charged to operate the system, and the cost to the city in court time for challenged tickets, the city could no longer afford it.

Originally Posted by m3driver
Screw speed limits...I'm totally okay with people driving as fast as they are comfortable with, even if it's in excess 100mph, in a residential school zone full of kindergarteners playing near the street.
Yeah, 9 mph over on a highway is just about the same as your scenario.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

So you're saying that sometimes things will vary according to the specific place and time. Huh.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So you're saying that sometimes things will vary according to the specific place and time. Huh.
Uk has variable limits, so a road rated at 70mph could be dropped to any speed below that depending on current conditions.

I believe they will soon have constantly live speed cameras, so no more speeding on the motorways.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 PM
lomax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would have been OK if you weren't driving on the wrong side of the road.

OK bad joke
Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

And surprise surprise, speed absolutely kills. I'm all for limits, I'd rather not have self proclaimed driving experts on the same roads as my family showing off just how well or lack there of they drive. They make tracks for that sort of thing, get off your wallet and use one
I agree with limits as well under the right circumstances. But local governments have been known to lower limits on roads because of revenue generating opportunities.

If limits were based on real studies and weren't arbitrarily set by politicians to fill up the general fund then I'd be more supportive of them. Besides I think in terms of danger on our roads today speed by itself isn't the issue, it's what drivers are doing while they're speeding. I've always believed an attentive driver going 10 MPH over is more in control than someone texting at 10 MPH under the limit. But goes who gets ticketed?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

BIG BROTHER is Watching YOU!

Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I agree with limits as well under the right circumstances. But local governments have been known to lower limits on roads because of revenue generating opportunities.

If limits were based on real studies and weren't arbitrarily set by politicians to fill up the general fund then I'd be more supportive of them. Besides I think in terms of danger on our roads today speed by itself isn't the issue, it's what drivers are doing while they're speeding. I've always believed an attentive driver going 10 MPH over is more in control than someone texting at 10 MPH under the limit. But goes who gets ticketed?
I can't say how it works in other parts of the country or world, but Michigan speed limits are set by law based on speed studies done by the MSP. There is nothing about generating revenue based on enforcement, other than enforcing the limits set. Those speed studies are supposed to be updated every so often to make sure they are current with conditions of the road and population/infrastructure changes.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I can't say how it works in other parts of the country or world, but Michigan speed limits are set by law based on speed studies done by the MSP. There is nothing about generating revenue based on enforcement, other than enforcing the limits set.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Redlight cameras = Paintball gun targets

Quick Reply: Speeding Cameras