996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Insurance: New Windshield and Headlight

Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Say whaaaa???? 3480 for 1 headlight??? or 2? If I recall correctly they used to be 12-1300 years ago.
$2495 each at Suncoast.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6HLX1L.html
Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
These have to be the most expensive headlights I've ever seen.

Thankfully I didn't have to worry about the price as my insurer, American Family Insurance, was covering it.

Although Suncoast, Sunset, or Sonnen usually have a few laying around all of their current stock is zero. We called them.

On the dealer end there is a nationwide Porsche inventory system that also says its zero.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Interesting, for the MkI Xenons they want $3495 (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6LITRONIC.html).

But you can get them individually for $1650 for a total of $3300 (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6HLG1L.html and http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6HLG1R.html)

Maybe I should order a pair (individually) before they read this post...
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally for a cracked windshield and headlight, I would just fix it out of pocket. Its not worth having the raised premiums -- for me. But then, I wouldn't buy a new headlight, i'll just souce one off eBay and get a local windshield guy to come out.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

My premium didn't change a penny.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:50 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by DTMiller
My premium didn't change a penny.
Maybe not for windshield only.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

***FOR SALE: 2 used 996 litronic headlights L & R, excellent condition no haze all bulbs 100%.

Special Rennlist Member price $5,000. PM for payment info.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stan23
Maybe not for windshield only.
If it is done as an uninsured motorist or you are not at fault and they can go after the other person/insurance, then it shouldn't raise your premium.

It's when you do bad things that your premium goes up.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:09 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
If it is done as an uninsured motorist or you are not at fault and they can go after the other person/insurance, then it shouldn't raise your premium.

It's when you do bad things that your premium goes up.
But that's not what we're discussing here.

Road debris resulting in cracked headlight/windshield will fall under comprehensive.

Comprehensive claims generally will raise your rates, may not be immediate, but may occur when you renew your policy.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

But that's not what we're discussing here.

Road debris resulting in cracked headlight/windshield will fall under comprehensive.

Comprehensive claims generally will raise your rates, may not be immediate, but may occur when you renew your policy.
I'm not saying that's impossible. But I've run 3 comprehensive claims through State Farm and my rates haven't changed (or if they have it's been pocket change). One was a windshield for an old SUV, Safelite glass repair. One was the 911. The third was a few years ago, giant sheet of ice from the top of a truck flew off and mashed the windshield and roof of a Volvo XC90; repair bill was pretty close to totaling the car; upwards of $5K.

YMMV, and I have some pretty extensive lines with them so my experience might not translate, but I've been a really happy State Farm customer as a result of these experiences.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Consumer Reports - this months edition confirms this !
stan23 said :
Not -at -fault "Comprehensive claims generally will raise your rates, may not be immediate, but may occur when you renew your policy"
Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 PM
stan23
Racer

I'm not saying that's impossible. But I've run 3 comprehensive claims through State Farm and my rates haven't changed (or if they have it's been pocket change). One was a windshield for an old SUV, Safelite glass repair. One was the 911. The third was a few years ago, giant sheet of ice from the top of a truck flew off and mashed the windshield and roof of a Volvo XC90; repair bill was pretty close to totaling the car; upwards of $5K.

YMMV, and I have some pretty extensive lines with them so my experience might not translate, but I've been a really happy State Farm customer as a result of these experiences.
It may have a lot to do with your geographical location. I'm thinking if you live in a major metropolitan city with lots of comprehensive claims - then the chances of raised rates are higher. Where I live, it's a sure bet that if I filed a comp claim, my rates will go up at next renewal.

Just recently, some rogue rocks hit my wife's new '17 XC90 T8, marring the windshield. Decided to just live with it and will probably swap windshield out of pocket when it gets worse.

There is nothing magical about insurance companies, they are a for profit business. They are not in the business of paying out without getting something in return - which is your premiums.

A $4500 comprehensive claim, for sure they will be knocking on your door for more money next time you renew. What's worse, you can't just change insurance companies, as that claim will follow you. Insurance companies share the same claim history profiles.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

It may have a lot to do with your geographical location. I'm thinking if you live in a major metropolitan city with lots of comprehensive claims - then the chances of raised rates are higher. Where I live, it's a sure bet that if I filed a comp claim, my rates will go up at next renewal.

Just recently, some rogue rocks hit my wife's new '17 XC90 T8, marring the windshield. Decided to just live with it and will probably swap windshield out of pocket when it gets worse.

But I will agree that YMMV.
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure my agent has said explicitly that my rates won't change. Maybe I'm paying more up front to compensate. Dunno.

Extrapolating insurance experiences across state lines is especially difficult, as our resident insurance expert will readily concede.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 PM
stan23
Racer

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure my agent has said explicitly that my rates won't change. Maybe I'm paying more up front to compensate. Dunno.

Extrapolating insurance experiences across state lines is especially difficult, as our resident insurance expert will readily concede.
Next time, ask this question instead, "will my rates change at next renewal, and if so, what percentage is based off my comprehensive claim?"

Insurance agents are very well versed on what and how they say things -- usually giving you a very good sense of security.

Of course YMMV.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

May be, but like DTM I've made Comp claims to both Progressive and USAA with no impact to my premiums. Unlike DTM, I don't live in the sticks (D.C. burbs in VA).

Dunno. Maybe it's time for new insurance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance: New Windshield and Headlight