996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSM 996 c4 tip. psm dash light

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:16 PM
kct
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found nothing obvious. may have to fork out for a gearbox scan if that actually exists
Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kct
found nothing obvious. may have to fork out for a gearbox scan if that actually exists
What exactly did you check and how?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:54 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have heard of issues where the tip will not work in auto but will work in manual mode. I believe some have fixed this issue by doing a transmission flush and replace the trans filter.

I am not sure if this is possibly your issue as I think most of the time it was the other way around (auto not working and manual mode would work).. May be worth a shot if you want to do the transmission service yourself.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 AM
kct
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
I have heard of issues where the tip will not work in auto but will work in manual mode. I believe some have fixed this issue by doing a transmission flush and replace the trans filter.

I am not sure if this is possibly your issue as I think most of the time it was the other way around (auto not working and manual mode would work).. May be worth a shot if you want to do the transmission service yourself.

Good luck
thanks but mine works in auto but no 5th gear but wont work at all in manual. have not really tried anything other than looking for poor connections. I'm beginning to think its perhaps more serious
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

When was your tranny fluid last flushed? If you don't know, that should be your first attempted fix, which sounds like it might be a reasonable DIY project. I don't know the process so I'm just guessing on that, members with Tiptronics who have done that themselves, please speak up.

And if that doesn't work, time to go to a shop. If you don't think you have money for that now and you said you're willing to live with the consequences... but if you take a step back and consider just how cavalier that comment is... you might reconsider. Thing could get MUCH worse financially if you continue driving it as is, or if you get in there and poke around at things you don't know about.

Personally, I would recommend hitting up the PCA site to see what shops they recommend in your area. Aside of having a trusted friend point you in the right direction, that's probably the best way to find a reputable shop who won't take advantage of your situation... At minimum, call them up and tell them the code, you may get some good (and free) advice from a tech over the phone...

Where are you located? Maybe RL'ers near you can offer better advice...
Old 03-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kct
thanks but mine works in auto but no 5th gear but wont work at all in manual. have not really tried anything other than looking for poor connections. I'm beginning to think its perhaps more serious
If you want usable help, you need to write down what exactly you've check so far, how you did it and what were the results. Mind reading is not one of mine strong points.

Quick Reply: PSM 996 c4 tip. psm dash light