Sponsored by:

cabriolet issue on my 996 -99

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 AM
behmer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabriolet issue on my 996 -99

My cab started to behave like this suddenly,anyone who has experienced this? Any solutions?

br Johan
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...rtible_Top.htm
Old 02-01-2017, 11:10 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

B3freak...is that a case for replacing the trim/seal parts in that area or simply trying to get the corded edge of the top back into the seal/trim? The '99 I took for PPI last week was starting to do that a bit and my assumption was that it could probably be tucked back in...was my assumption (as usual) wrong?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MadIrish
B3freak...is that a case for replacing the trim/seal parts in that area or simply trying to get the corded edge of the top back into the seal/trim?
I have a cabriolet and that middle section is known to pop out. Normally, it's just a matter of resetting the edge of the convertible top with the frame. There is a cable tensioner that may need adjustment, but this doesn't mean the convertible top needs to be replaced. A minor issue compared to the hydraulics on the convertible system.

Watch this video and closely examine the middle section as it opens.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 PM
GM996
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this issue when the rivet holding the tension cable snapped. This may help if that is the problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...f-996-cab.html

-Greg
Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Read this thread. Nice detail on how to approach this common issue.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ight-pics.html
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM
MadIrish
Racer

I'm looking at a potential purchase of a 2002 C4 convertible. It has a couple issues with the top. Basically the same issue where the top pulls in and away from the seals. Also a lot of gap between the headliner and the top in that section where the middle piece of trim comes away from the top.

Both cables seem to be firmly attached. Possible that is simply stretching over time? just a little too stretched out?

Regarding the liner, I noted that there are some black fabric bands in that area that are broken...I am guessing they were elastic and held the head liner closer to the top at one time? Rest of the liner appears to be fine, except both sides in this same area where the center piece of side roof trim pulls away from the top.

Sorry for the crap pictures...i was having a devil of a time with exposure and focus in the bright outside light and the dark interior.
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Wow, that's a lot of slack in the cable. Looks like it's drooping down several inches. That cable is supposed to be tight along the convertible frame channel. IMHO, the cable is either stretched and needs replacement or it's not attached properly.

If you're negotiating a fair price, I would try to get the price down to cover professional service on the top. If the convertible doesn't need replacement, you should budget around $1000 for complete service. I replaced my top for $2000 and that covered installing the original OEM heated rear window into the new top.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Sorry, that's a crappy picture...that's not the tension cable. That's a wiring harness in the roof!

The tension cables seem pretty tight...but are just loose enough that the fabric puckers with the roof closed and pulls away from the seals.

That pic shows the sag of the roof liner away from the roof in that area. Like I said, I think there are normally some elastic fabric bands that would hold all that stuff in place....they are either blown out or (one is) ripped. I don' think it is separation of the head liner form the roof as there is no glue in that area.

That is on the drivers side...which actually conforms to the molding better. The passenger side is a bit worse, but can be guided into the track in the molding when the roof is being closed. See pic
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Sorry, that's a crappy picture...that's not the tension cable. That's a wiring harness in the roof!

The tension cables seem pretty tight...but are just loose enough that the fabric puckers with the roof closed and pulls away from the seals.

That pic shows the sag of the roof liner away from the roof in that area. Like I said, I think there are normally some elastic fabric bands that would hold all that stuff in place....they are either blown out or (one is) ripped. I don' think it is separation of the head liner form the roof as there is no glue in that area.

That is on the drivers side...which actually conforms to the molding better. The passenger side is a bit worse, but can be guided into the track in the molding when the roof is being closed. See pic
Mine is doing the exact same thing - what you show in that last picture you posted. Would love to know how to fix it.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Wow, that's a lot of slack in the cable. Looks like it's drooping down several inches. That cable is supposed to be tight along the convertible frame channel. IMHO, the cable is either stretched and needs replacement or it's not attached properly.

If you're negotiating a fair price, I would try to get the price down to cover professional service on the top. If the convertible doesn't need replacement, you should budget around $1000 for complete service. I replaced my top for $2000 and that covered installing the original OEM heated rear window into the new top.
Who did you use? Im over here in Alpharetta.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 AM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Mine is doing the exact same thing - what you show in that last picture you posted. Would love to know how to fix it.
Mine had this issue - it was a nylon strap with a spring in the middle that keeps tension on both sides of the top when closing.
it was a very simple fix the strap has loops in the middle that holds the spring and the stitching had come undone. The strap is between the headliner and the top and runs from side to side right where the top is no longer seating inside the plastic frame.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:20 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo
Mine had this issue - it was a nylon strap with a spring in the middle that keeps tension on both sides of the top when closing.
it was a very simple fix the strap has loops in the middle that holds the spring and the stitching had come undone. The strap is between the headliner and the top and runs from side to side right where the top is no longer seating inside the plastic frame.
Mine did the same. Put the roof into service position (half up) and feel in around both sides and you will find this strap going side to side. In my case on side had come unstitched, so I could only find the other. I simply got out a needle and thread and stitched it back on. Working perfect for past 2 yrs.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by por944trs
Who did you use? Im over here in Alpharetta.
Call Kenny. He works on Porsche Cabriolets and most any convertible.

http://www.theconvertibletopman.com/
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Wyvo and JTT....that seems the likely culprit, thanks.

Quick Reply: cabriolet issue on my 996 -99