Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replace Water Pump As A Preventative Maintenance Measure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replace Water Pump As A Preventative Maintenance Measure?

Had a shop tell me my water pump was leaking so went ahead and bought a new pump and gasket. Went to replace the pump and found no leaks, no slop in pulley and it was not making any noise when spun.

I'm doing some other general maintenance items to the car and before I finish up with it, got thinking that maybe I should just go ahead and replace it anyway as I have the part. I'd do the thermostat as well.

So, replace it now or wait until I do the clutch and IMS/RMS etc.?

The car has 66K miles on it.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:47 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Absolutely replace it now. Better to change it early than to change it after it fails. I changed mine at 60k miles and it still seemed perfect. But the downside to letting it fail is very bad. While you're at it, change to a low temp thermostat too. Removing the thermostat housing actually makes the water pump R&R a little easier anyway.

Last edited by wyovino; 01-22-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:51 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

don't forget the serp belt. and tank. and cap
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I always see water pumps replacement as a PM measure. I'd rather replace them on my schedule, than when they fail on their schedule. Had water pumps fail on many cars, Toyotas, Fords, Plymouths...makes no difference.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:20 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

I, too, replaced my H2O pump as a PM measure...at 67K miles, and now the old pump joined the ranks of old parts I will never use again. Oh, well.

No P-car guy has ever said, "Gee, I wish I hadn't replaced that water pump."

relinuca
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I won't buck the trend, because in the case of the 996 water pump "failure" has a specific failure mode that can be very harmful to the engine. Now, usually when a water pump on ANY other car fails, the seal which protects the cartridge begins to leak, and water drools out of the weep hole. This is a known, and designed in warning that the water pump cartridge is going to go bad, and you should replace the pump.

On the 996, of course - they have to be different. Typical water pump failure of the 996 is that the cartridge and seal remain blissfully secure and functioning, while the impeller disintegrates catastrophically. I've seen a lot of water pumps in my day, some impellers were cast iron, plastic inj molded, stamped metal, and even some nice forged Al. What I don't think I've ever seen is for any of those impellers to come apart in service. Maybe there is another car out there that has this issue, of catastrophic failure while the bearing and seal continue to operate, but what a crazy way for the 996 to be yet again 'special'.

Now, go ahead and attack, ridicule and belittle my opinion. I can take it.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Spork
Instructor

Looks like I will go ahead and replace it. Where is the best place to get a low temp thermostat?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Start with the Pelican and LN websites to get up to speed with the prts
http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...e-install.html
But consider previous suggestions about other ,related parts, Airlift and make the Tstat tool yourself.
Pelican has a diy project on the w/p.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Start with the Pelican and LN websites to get up to speed with the prts
http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...e-install.html
But consider previous suggestions about other ,related parts, Airlift and make the Tstat tool yourself.
Pelican has a diy project on the w/p.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Also check rndeuroparts.com for low temp thermostat and water pump also. Super fast shipping and top notch service!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 PM
targa996
Pro

My pump failed at 65x miles ... just like many seem to do - in my case big leak - not impeller - but yes I think it makes sense as preventative versus being stuck at roadside - or worse .... plus tank if that is >8 years old .... although that is a harder DIY
Old 01-22-2017, 02:47 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing this job currently so can offer this one single data point. My car has just less than 100k miles and its on the original water-pump. No leaks or weeping, but the bearing has a tiny bit of lateral play in it - otherwise looked to be in excellent shape. The impetus for replacement was changing out the catalytic converter, and hence lots of access. I must say that removing the bumper, catalytic converters and the rear engine mounting bracket makes this job pretty easy. I'm also installing a low temp thermostat. Its a pity the consequences of failure are so dire - I really feel that the pump has lots of life left in it and I hate to replace parts needlessly but I'll have this car on the track soon where the pump will be a little more tested. Ultimately I'll be glad to have a new one in there.
Attached Images   

Last edited by silvergray951; 01-23-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
I won't buck the trend, because in the case of the 996 water pump "failure" has a specific failure mode that can be very harmful to the engine. Now, usually when a water pump on ANY other car fails, the seal which protects the cartridge begins to leak, and water drools out of the weep hole. This is a known, and designed in warning that the water pump cartridge is going to go bad, and you should replace the pump.

On the 996, of course - they have to be different. Typical water pump failure of the 996 is that the cartridge and seal remain blissfully secure and functioning, while the impeller disintegrates catastrophically. I've seen a lot of water pumps in my day, some impellers were cast iron, plastic inj molded, stamped metal, and even some nice forged Al. What I don't think I've ever seen is for any of those impellers to come apart in service. Maybe there is another car out there that has this issue, of catastrophic failure while the bearing and seal continue to operate, but what a crazy way for the 996 to be yet again 'special'.

Now, go ahead and attack, ridicule and belittle my opinion. I can take it.

I agree! I have a love/hate relationship with my car. It is such a blast to drive, the build quality is amazing, great looking, perfect size, etc but damn, there sure are a lot of ways this engine can self-destruct!

It's kind of like dating a hot chick. Great to look at, hot in the sack but if you say the wrong thing there will be holy hell to pay! But when guys tell me hot chicks are a pain in the ***, I always say that they are all a pain in the ***, may as well have a hot one!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Warehouse33auto.com is generally lower pricing and super great service. Also if you put RENNLIST in the coupon box at checkout, you get an additional 10% OFF

Get a Pierburg WP, it the same at the Porsche OE WP
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergray951
I'm doing this job currently so can offer this one single data point. My car has just less than 100k miles and its on the original water-pump. No leaks or weeping, but the bearing has a tiny bit of lateral play in it - otherwise looked to be in excellent shape. The impetus for replacement was changing out the catalytic converter, and hence lots of access. I must say that removing the bumper, catalytic converters and the rear engine mounting bracket makes this job pretty easy. I'm also installing a low temp thermostat. Its a pity the consequences of failure are so dire - I really feel that the pump has lots of life left in it and I really hate to replace parts needlessly but I'll have this car on the track soon where the pump will be a little more tested. Ultimately I'll be glad to have a new one in there.
Is the second pic a metal impeller?

Quick Reply: Replace Water Pump As A Preventative Maintenance Measure?