Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replace Water Pump As A Preventative Maintenance Measure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Is the second pic a metal impeller?
No, that is an OEM composite (or perhaps plastic) impeller.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

We offer a water pump replacement kit with Genuine Porsche parts including antifreeze and free shipping

https://rennpart.com/product/water-p...placement-kit/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
Had a shop tell me my water pump was leaking so went ahead and bought a new pump and gasket. Went to replace the pump and found no leaks, no slop in pulley and it was not making any noise when spun.

I'm doing some other general maintenance items to the car and before I finish up with it, got thinking that maybe I should just go ahead and replace it anyway as I have the part. I'd do the thermostat as well.

So, replace it now or wait until I do the clutch and IMS/RMS etc.?

The car has 66K miles on it.
Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Start with the Pelican and LN websites to get up to speed with the prts
But consider previous suggestions about other ,related parts, Airlift and make the Tstat tool yourself.
Pelican has a diy project on the w/p.
It's not a bad idea to replace some radiator hoses while in there. If you need help with creating a list of items to replace please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM as I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Be sure to check out our water pump tech article, as mentioned above, here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
It's not a bad idea to replace some radiator hoses while in there. If you need help with creating a list of items to replace please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM as I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Be sure to check out our water pump tech article, as mentioned above, here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm.

Just sent you a PM.

Great article! Seeing how we are getting more frigging rain here today (!) I guess I'll be spending some time looking through all the articles you have there. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently replaced mine, as well as the the thermostat. A few months back on a trip to the tail of the dragon she was getting awful hot and since the mileage on the 911 was creeping past the mileage my boxster had when its pump failed I went ahead and did it. I found the pump in the 996 to be just fine when I pulled it, but I figured I'd rather pay less now and do it myself than have it go while I'm driving across the country or in the middle of nowhere and have to have her towed to a place that may not be a good p-car shop.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
We offer a water pump replacement kit with Genuine Porsche parts including antifreeze and free shipping

https://rennpart.com/product/water-p...placement-kit/

that's a pretty good deal, other you need 3 gallons, not 1 as included of concentrated coolant for the nearly 6 gallon cooling system capacity
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
that's a pretty good deal, other you need 3 gallons, not 1 as included of concentrated coolant for the nearly 6 gallon cooling system capacity
kit updated, new picture will be coming soon
Old 01-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was leaking, and went to replace it. Not sure I would do it myself again for fun, and it gave plenty of notice that it was going out.

The fins were just starting to chip away, but most noticeable was that I didn't notice anything in the bearing. It really felt smooth and there was no indication to me that it had any issues. My 70+ year old machine shop working neighbor was able to notice a flat spot, but it was very slight. So, after the fact spinning it, unless you really know what you're looking for, won't tell you much.

Quick Reply: Replace Water Pump As A Preventative Maintenance Measure?