Wiring for breath analyser

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Richard Bedard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for breath analyser

Hi,
I need to install a breath analyser in my 996 and the device installer told my that before installation i need to send my car to the dealership so he can install a wiring harness prior to the anaylser installation.

The guy at the dealer told me that they just installed an harness in a 2017 for 1900$. Electronic is probably a lot more simple in a 2004 but he could not figure a price and told me that it would be in the 1500$ range.

Anyone have an idea if i can DIY the wiring or help me finding documentation so my indy could do the job ?

Thanks

Richard
Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Much cheaper

Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

This is being mandated by a judge (i.e. DUI conviction), right?

The reason I'm asking is that it seems that it will need to be inspected by your authorities to confirm that it was installed properly and will immobilize the car... and it's "fool proof" (i.e. not easily bypassed). I'm sure having an invoice from a professional shop would help speed up the approval process and get you back on the road again.

Finding cheap breathalyzers on the market is one thing, but finding a turnkey kit that can immobilize a Porsche is another thing.

If you're trying to save yourself a lot of $$$, I'd first call some of the companies that sell complete "InterLock" kits like GuardianInterlock and see if there is a kit for the Porsches.

https://www.lifesafer.com/devices/what-is-an-interlock/

https://guardianinterlock.com/
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a little harsh...I don't know if I'd have the stones to come on here and basically admit I was drunk driving. I'm not saying that one doesn't basically gets what one deserves after doing so but he's asking us for help to solve his problem. I get that we joke around a lot here but maybe some things are better left unsaid or unjoked about. Or at least until after his question has been answered...
Old 01-20-2017, 11:54 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We know nothing about the circumstances. Perhaps a child or spouse was the one who has the requirement.

But I agree with b3freak's notes on the validity of the installation. Regardless of who was over the limit, $1500-2000 seems like a relatively low price to pay compared to incarceration.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Atrox
Drifting

On a serious note, the devices are usually leased and are required to be installed by an approved shop. In my younger years I got a dwi for having two beers at a restaurant and was pulled over for a light out on my license plate. Did not have to get a breathalyzer installed, but the process was tough and will never risk the "two beers again". Here is an article that may be helpful. I'm almost positive this is something that has to be installed by a certified tech.

http://carbreathalyzerhelp.com/can-i...-breathalyzer/
Old 01-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Richard Bedard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was DUI, i was just a little bit over the .08 limit (.105). The company that install the InterLock in my region cannot install it into a 911. i need the harness from the dealership to be install before the interlock device. 1900$ is only for the harness so i need to add the 300$ for the interlock installation + the 125$ monthly fees for 9 months.

I admit that i got what i deserved, im not proud of it, but i need to live with it now and im not ashamed of it.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Bedard
Yes it was DUI, i was just a little bit over the .08 limit (.105). The company that install the InterLock in my region cannot install it into a 911. i need the harness from the dealership to be install before the interlock device. 1900$ is only for the harness so i need to add the 300$ for the interlock installation + the 125$ monthly fees for 9 months.

I admit that i got what i deserved, im not proud of it, but i need to live with it now and im not ashamed of it.
It happens man, and it could have been a lot worse. Keep your head up not the end of the world.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

U
B
E
R

Sorry to hear. Might be easier to just buy a junker car for a few months. This whole "little bit over" is the basis behind all the ad campaignes to your age group.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Lex, use alternate transportation for the duration and start fresh with the 911 when all is sorted. Have a non-restricted friend take you out in the 996 every couple of weeks to keep it exercised and healthy.

At $1200 you can get yourself a decent enough beater that you can probably get away with just putting gas into it for 6-12 months.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Richard Bedard

Richard, shame shouldn't come from a mistake, but from repeating the same mistake. Keep your head up and thank God you didn't get hurt or hurt someone else. There are options, but cross one bridge at a time and remember, you can't choose your circumstances, but you can choose your attitude.

We wish you the best and hopefully someone will provide an economical harness or maybe a cheaper daily driver that can save you money.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Pretty sure the breathalyzer company will not install their test unit if you try a DIY job. It has to come fully baked from Porsche, complete with anti-tamper seals, certificate from mfg, etc.

Sorry about the circumstance.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Never had any experience with those but a few around me have

do the work and get it right, an associate had one and left his car unlocked
a teen party broke out and all the kids thought it would be cool to check their
BAC
despite the data (perhaps 8 - 10) blowing different levels in very short periods of time
the state would not allow any reprieve
that and the early models were notorious for breakdowns, inaccuracies and some general
hosing from the supplier
this was quite awhile ago, I would hope that the tech has improved

best of luck with this
Old 01-20-2017, 01:19 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on rennlist.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by m3driver
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on rennlist.
Apparently, you haven't read (or seen) "I.H.I." on RL.

Quick Reply: Wiring for breath analyser