Sponsored by:

Double Din Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Double Din Radio Upgrade

I have seen a lot of posts about upgrading to a double din aftermarket radio to gain some modern day creature comforts like nav, Bluetooth, etc...It looks like there are multiple kits out there which seem to come in a pretty large range of cost points. The Suncoast/Euro Motorspeed unit comes in at $150 but the Metra kit can be had for $25. Typically I understand that you get what you pay for but was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to the quality of these options.
Also, my goal is to maintain the vehicle as 100% stock and was curious as how easy it is to return to the OEM radio. The instructions show the cutting of a couple of tabs to allow for the install. I assume they could be easily welded or epoxied back into place.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I can speak to the metra one, i just installed one in my car a couple of nights ago, there was nothing at all wrong with the finish of it and I have my doubts the more expensive ones are any better. I was impressed with it honestly because I expected some cheap abs looking plastic but it has a satin finish and a slight rubbery texture. And it comes with the relocation kit to move the hvac to the bottom as well, including the pocket.

Install is fairly easy, you have to cutoff the tabs where the stock radio was but I am guessing the other kits also need to do that because it wont fit otherwise. If you have an oscillating multitool that makes quick work of that even easier than a dremel. The hardest part was routing the hvac wiring to the bottom, what a pain that was as its super tight. The other thing worth noting that in the install guide on page 4 where it shows you to trim it hard to see but you have to trim the top screw holes also or it wont fit.

The strange part is that you have to remove the whole hvac faceplate, 4 screws and then the metra kit has a bracket that goes around the back of the radio when you slide it in, after that its super solid! nobody will ever get it out quickly for sure as its impossible to slide the stereo after thats done. I should have taken photos of that but you can see it on page 6/7 of the install guide http://metraonline.com/files/product...-9605B_web.pdf

not the best pic but you can see mine mostly installed here

as far as putting the tabs back I think that is doubtful, but you could just purchase that whole face

Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by joehonee
I have seen a lot of posts about upgrading to a double din aftermarket radio to gain some modern day creature comforts like nav, Bluetooth, etc...It looks like there are multiple kits out there which seem to come in a pretty large range of cost points. The Suncoast/Euro Motorspeed unit comes in at $150 but the Metra kit can be had for $25. Typically I understand that you get what you pay for but was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to the quality of these options.
Also, my goal is to maintain the vehicle as 100% stock and was curious as how easy it is to return to the OEM radio. The instructions show the cutting of a couple of tabs to allow for the install. I assume they could be easily welded or epoxied back into place.
If you're converted a single DIN radio center mount frame to a double DIN, then yes, you'll need to modify it by cutting the middle section and corners to allow the double DIN mounting adapter. However, if you have Porsche PCM dual unit, then you're car will come stock with the double DIN mount frame. Therefore, if you don't want to cut your stock frame, then purchase the PCM center mount from Porsche or try to find one on eBay. They're rare, but out there.

I remember you buying all the adapters and wire harnesses from CAI. They're a great to work with.

https://cai-store.com
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the only thing you're. It getting is the Porsche script on the face plate.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:45 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The Suncoast/Euro Motorspeed unit comes in at $150 but the Metra kit can be had for $25.
Where are you finding the Metra one on sale? Their website does not seem to show it as available still.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by VivG
Where are you finding the Metra one on sale? Their website does not seem to show it as available still.
amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other kits (like CAI) are using OE parts from Porsche and/or VW. The OE Porsche lower cubby sells for more than the entire Metra kit. So the kits aren't the same.

I used a CAI kit and it worked very well. That said, OP's install looks good. With the Metra kit selling for $25, I don't know if I'd want to pay a substantial premium to get OE parts.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

The problem with the cheap Metra kit is that the color of the black doesn't match perfectly with the black of the Porsche units. The metro color is more of a char coal grey. Not a big deal for the stereo bezel, but the shelf unit and trim are not going to match up with the AC unit's black color. Not that it's a big problem, just something to think about. I went and bought the OEM shelf and lower AC trim from Porsche. Yea, I paid a lot more, but I wanted it to match up. I would consider the Metra double din mount adapter. You could always paint it flat black to match.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just helped my friend with his install as I used the suncoast kit and he bought the metra kit

i had him return the metra version for the suncoast one as the difference is very big in fit and finish and solidness

to each his own but I'm a little OCD so I am glad I went with the suncoast version
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to reverse the double din install and re-install the stock radio. I see there are a couple of tabs that are cut during the install.

My car is 100% stock and would like to be able to return it to that condition if possible.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 AM
tekkie
Pro

I dont think you will find a way to get it back in there easily, you might be able to glue the stock tabs back but I wouldn't.

your best bet would be to buy a used piece from fleabay, thats what I plan to do if I ever go back, they are not that expensive
Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Does anyone know if it is possible to reverse the double din install and re-install the stock radio. I see there are a couple of tabs that are cut during the install.

My car is 100% stock and would like to be able to return it to that condition if possible.
You'll have to purchase another center dash frame unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...xX4WeH&vxp=mtr

Plus, if you've cut the stock wires for the aftermarket HU, you'll have to repair the connectors and such. That can be a virtual nightmare.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 02-03-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:06 AM
tekkie
Pro

there is no reason to need to cut anything as there are kits for this, you could do it but the metra kit is super cheap so you would be crazy to do that .. but it is possible of course
Old 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tekkie
there is no reason to need to cut anything
You have to modify (i.e. cut) the stock center DIN frame for the Metra or Suncoast double DIN mounting cage to fit.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by b3freak
You have to modify (i.e. cut) the stock center DIN frame for the Metra or Suncoast double DIN mounting cage to fit.
yeah for sure, but you dont have to cut the wires

Quick Reply: Double Din Radio Upgrade