Florida over 100mph ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
There is no nuance.

1. Highways are designed around traffic and speed.

+

2. North American highways aren't designed around traffic traveling the speed of 100 mph.

=

"Our highways are not designed for it"
Max speed =/= avg speed. US interstate highways, particularly those west of the Mississippi, are generally capable of handling 100mph speeds on the tail end of a distribution. It's posturing to translate this obvious sentiment to avg speed. You know it, I know it.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
I respectfully disagree with the first comment above for two reasons.

1) The autobahn is generally maintained much better than US highways and built to a much higher standard. Autobahn pavement is made with many more layers than US Interstates to resist becoming brittle under drastic weather change from season to season. Autobahns are acutally built to aircraft runway specs and are deignated with a pavement capacity numbers high enough to support landing transport aircraft, if needed.

2) Just about every stretch of autobahn has guardrails along both sides that would, at least most of the time, keep an out-of-control-car contained from going off pavement into a patch of trees or (even worse) crossing over into oncoming traffic. Compartively, here in the USA there seem to be very few guardrails. it's much more conceivable that a high-speed out of control car could end up smashing into a tree or in the face of oncoming traffic.

I definitely agree with the comment about drivers... That is the biggest hold-back to higher speeds in the USA.

There's no such thing as a "learners permit" in Germany, where your mom, dad or brother can teach you their bad habits. In Germany you must take a lot of driving theory classes, as well as practical driving hours in all types of scenarios (city/highway/day/night) with a certified instructor. I think it costs around $1500 for someone to get a drivers license in Germany.
Exactly. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I drive over there all the time and routinely at high speed without any concerns(granted I'm very alert and aware). Better roads and better drivers.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee

I definitely agree with the comment about drivers... That is the biggest hold-back to higher speeds in the USA.

There's no such thing as a "learners permit" in Germany, where your mom, dad or brother can teach you their bad habits. In Germany you must take a lot of driving theory classes, as well as practical driving hours in all types of scenarios (city/highway/day/night) with a certified instructor. I think it costs around $1500 for someone to get a drivers license in Germany.
I spent a year in Germany driving truck all over the country. Granted, it was in the 70's but even then this was true.

When I first got stationed there a bunch of us went into town (Kaiserslautern) to a local bar. Outside were a bunch of 50CC mopeds. When we went inside the place was filled with German bikers. I rode a Harley then (still do) so naturally started talking to these guys about their bikes. Turns out they were all riding the mopeds! When I asked why they told me that it is very expensive and takes a long time to get a driver's license in Germany. A license was not required to ride a moped so they all ride them until they get licensed.

I drove an International 4070 COE with a Detroit V12 and 10 speed Road Ranger. The truck would go 100 MPH easy because we pulled light weight 27' flatbed trailers. The military did not buy anything from the local economy but instead flew in all supplies. My job was to haul these supplies from Air Force bases to Army bases all over Germany. I drove on the 'bahn every day as well as lots of secondary roads. Like everything German, their driving on the 'bahn was highly disciplined. The Polizei drove 911's and BMW's and carried Uzi's! If you got a ticket you paid the fine on the spot to the Polizei.

They also drove like maniacs on the secondary roads. Very good drivers but not afraid to pass on a double yellow line. Beautiful country though and nice friendly people once you got away from the cities and bases. Great food at the roadside schnitzel stands. And some very good looking women!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:34 AM
Timlin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty strict here in Australia. 30Kmh over the limit is a $500.00 fin AND instant 3 months loss of license. 45Kmh over and its a $1k fine a six months loss - more than that, well, you better get a lawyer son, and you'd better get a good one!

Had a mate booked at 270Kmh in an 70Kmh zone - $4k fine AND loss of license for 3 years! In some states here they'll even confiscate your car as well! If its bad enough, like someone dies or similar, the car will be taken off you for good and you will go to jail - with very few questions asked along the way too...

Nanny/Police state...
Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Problem in American driving 100ish mph and running up on drivers in all lanes going 50 mph.

Can I get a witness!?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Problem in American driving 100ish mph and running up on drivers in all lanes going 50 mph.

Can I get a witness!?
Yes, the bigger issue here is the behavior of the drivers and how they respond.

On the open Autobahn, this can also happen, but it's less of an issue because of driver skill and behaviors.

A lot of folks in the U.S. claim that speed differential (the difference between someone driving fast vs. slow on the same road) is a big issue. People claim that it's just as dangerous or even more dangerous to drive too slowly, but I don't like this argument very much for many reasons.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak

Can I get a witness!?
For sure it's a problem on some roads. But truckers go ~85mph on the interstates where I am. Speed differential of +15mph in a highway setting with an escape route (shoulder or wide lanes) is a pretty standard situation though.

Out east in Virginia where I grew up there aren't many roads that have the layout, speed limit and traffic pattern that makes triple digits safe. Maybe on I-81 when it's deserted but I see where you're coming from given you live in the Southeast.

Having driven cross country a few times the regional variability of appropriate speed is high imo. That's really the point that is driving changes to speed limits nationwide, regardless of what the puritans might think.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
A lot of folks in the U.S. claim that speed differential (the difference between someone driving fast vs. slow on the same road) is a big issue. People claim that it's just as dangerous or even more dangerous to drive too slowly, but I don't like this argument very much for many reasons.
The two points are independent imo & not necessarily mutually exclusive. Differential isn't good when it's big, same for idiots that spazz when they see someone bearing down on them in a different lane. At the same time, it's safer to go 5-10 over than 5 under assuming regular traffic pattern of +5 relative to the limit. The 'benefit' of going faster vs. slower rapidly dissipates as the speed differential goes beyond 10-15mph. That's my focus when driving in a spirited fashion: don't bear down on people going 40mph faster, don't worry about speed without traffic and just enjoy it.

Last edited by TonyTwoBags; 01-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Florida over 100mph ticket?