Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First trackday on the 996. Tips and/or advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go drive your hair dresser car Dave
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 AM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
If the group allows a MC helmet, it most likely still needs to be SNELL rated like M2010.
Most groups also won't accept helmets that are older that the last rating before the current one (2015), so a SNELL 2010 is OK, but a 2005 probably is not.

Many people either leave the visor up or remove it. Its up to you. Some say the visor gives you additional protection for your eyes.

If your helmet is in an accident where it get a major impact, throw it away. You only have one noggin.
If you search the web a bit, you can find SA2010 helmets for under $150

Also, if you plan on doing a bunch of track days, invest in driving gloves and shoes. A full suit is fine and certainly gives you more protection from fire, but depending on what class you are running in or how mnodified your car is may not be required
My Arai is Snell 2010. My Suomys are not, so I guess i'll be using my Arai.

I have a collection of crashed helmets, and coming from a motorcycle racing background, i'm one and done in regards to crashing. I've retired helmets even w/o crashes just because they are past the date of expiration.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Smart man
Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 AM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by JayG
Smart man
Like I said, i'm very OCD. You should see how I keep my cars/bikes.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Will you have an instructor in the car with you? If so, follow the advice in this thread and follow his advice. Given that you already have track experience, you will do fine and have a blast. One of the most important things to learn at the track is situational awareness, and I'm sure you already have this mastered from your motorcycle racing.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
. One of the most important things to learn at the track is situational awareness, and I'm sure you already have this mastered from your motorcycle racing.
You'll find this WORLDS easier in a car with mirrors
Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

"If" you have the opportunity to ride with more than one instructor, take it! They all have different perspectives and you can pick up different things from each. Also, if you have the opportunity to ride in the right seat of one of their cars, it's a great learning experience.

I'm pretty OCD as well, so hear you. I know for me, my first time wasn't as enjoyable as the next as I was putting pressure on myself and thinking too much. Don't sweat the details. Remember, it's a DE day, not Lemans. As the old Midas commercial used to say, "first you get good, then you get fast". Take your time, nothing to prove, no pressure. Take it all in and enjoy.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
While 100 octane is way over what the engine needs, 93 being the nomimal required grade of octane, and even allowing that an engine's octane requirement can go up as the miles accumulate, there is more to racing gasoline that its elevated octane rating.

Here's the observations by a professional racer regarding using racing gasoline in a street car:
absolutely useless anecdote.

oooo, it kicked harder. Give me a break.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

What oil are you using?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by JTT
"If" you have the opportunity to ride with more than one instructor, take it! They all have different perspectives and you can pick up different things from each. Also, if you have the opportunity to ride in the right seat of one of their cars, it's a great learning experience.

I'm pretty OCD as well, so hear you. I know for me, my first time wasn't as enjoyable as the next as I was putting pressure on myself and thinking too much. Don't sweat the details. Remember, it's a DE day, not Lemans. As the old Midas commercial used to say, "first you get good, then you get fast". Take your time, nothing to prove, no pressure. Take it all in and enjoy.
I will take all the instruction they have to offer! I rather take things slow and methodical, than jump in head first.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
What oil are you using?
Joe Gibbs DT40
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Joe Gibbs DT40
What color was the cap on it?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
What color was the cap on it?
I can't tell is Stan's response is true or a joke. But if true.....do not use DT40 for DE's. And again I walked into a potential oil thread.....woohoo!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I can't tell is Stan's response is true or a joke. But if true.....do not use DT40 for DE's. And again I walked into a potential oil thread.....woohoo!
I know, right?!

Although, I do have some cheap M1 euro blend, but i'll wait til after the trackday to change.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Your going to enjoy your first, "car" track day. If they let you use your MC helmet, for one day, your fine. Your instructor will help keep you safe and help you to enjoy your day. Just like the first time PCA will, for the most part let you run without a fire extinguisher, you should check with the group hosting this event. If you do the event an get hooked ( Hope you do) then you can investigate a dedicated helmet. As was stated above, MC helmet are not fire retardant, as the rider usually gets thrown from the bike. In a car incident, a trapped driver needs to make sure his helmet can protect him should a fire ensue. You should be fine.
After your day, and I will assume that the hook will go in deep, and set (oh yeah, that's the best part). shoot me a pm. Fontanna is a banked track, some things to think about......not for your first day......we can discuss later.

Enjoy, have a blast, hope you become addicted.....track guys are great people...some of my best buddies I have met through track driving! I will be interested to hear your impressions of the differences between MC and P-car.

Quick Reply: First trackday on the 996. Tips and/or advice?