Sponsored by:

Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion

We have designed a kit that has all components/tools needed to easily and permanently add Bluetooth to the stock radio head unit (sacrifices multi-disc CD player if installed). Head unit tested is a Becker CR-220 (non-MOST) in my 2002 Turbo. I believe other head units are candidates as well (TBD). This will be nearly plug and play, with a small Bluetooth receiver that resides at the console storage shelf/cubby. The device can switch tracks during music play and receive cell phone calls. Beta cost will be 1/2 of retail price. In exchange for being a beta tester, we’ll need feedback/photos of the installation and suggested opportunities for improvement. Looking for 10 beta testers. I put the beta tester program up on my website HERE. Or email or PM me if interested (see below).

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 02-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:03 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

So I have the CDR23, I am guessing this is the MOST system? Been looking for a cost effective way to add Bluetooth. I tried a cigarette plug in FM transmitter but does not work well and drops signals constantly as I travel. Do not want to change out entire system (including amp) since I would like to keep the OEM look.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Well, I'm trying to figure out which Becker models have the CD option that use the blue plug. See below:
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM
texcwa
Racer

Here is what I was able to find for the wiring schematic on CDR23. It appears to have a plug area for external CD player (see socket C2) but I do not have multi CD in car.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2016, 06:48 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 209 Posts

Tex, are you trying ti keep the OEM head unit ? if not, and keep the MOST system, works great

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ctory-amp.html
Old 12-26-2016, 06:52 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

TEXCWA what do you see on the back of your head unit. The Socket C2 appears to be in the middle of the other two plugs. There must be a dummy plug there on yours?? Or maybe its not needed? From the interweb search, it looks like the middle connector is green, but no idea if that matters.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 PM
texcwa
Racer

I have not removed the head unit yet. Was hoping to get some info on integrating a Bluetooth before removing (seeing if it is even possible) From what I have read, these units (being fiber optic units) are not compatible with many accessories. I have replaced head units in all my cars and trucks including installation of high power amps, new speakers and making custom made tuned ported sub inclosures but none of these were "fiber optic".
Old 12-26-2016, 07:11 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Dave,

A paying member can sell his own personal property, but that does not include commercial activity. I understand that you are doing a beta test of up to 10 users that could offer a nice solution to the community so for now this is fine. If you proceed beyond that please consider a sponsorship.

Here is the link you can use to request being a sponsor. Fill in the message area to indicate your interest.

http://www.internetbrandsauto.com/contact

Best of luck.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:12 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Tex, are you trying ti keep the OEM head unit ? if not, and keep the MOST system, works great

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ctory-amp.html
Yes, I do want to keep the OEM head unit and I did see this post (in fact I even commented on it)
Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If you need a PCM1 guinea pig let me know.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:03 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
Here is what I was able to find for the wiring schematic on CDR23. It appears to have a plug area for external CD player (see socket C2) but I do not have multi CD in car.
A CDR 23 uses MOST (optical) connector G for connecting the CD changer and does not have an electrical connection on the radio that could be used for the adaptor
The pic you posted looks like a CDR 220
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:53 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm looking for something that adds bluetooth to the factory setup also.

Not interested in changing the headunit or amp (I have the MOST CDR23 setup).

Thinking about a Dension but the bluetooth version doesn't work with the CDR23 so it would have to be a Dension + Bluetooth to AUX which im not too keen on.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Yes this is a beta test. I have looked into sponsorship for Rennkit, but for whatever reason IB couldn't work out the same deal it offered other startups. I will hit them up again in 2017.

Back to the beta test: MOST only affects the fiber optic signal to the amp. This is the electrical signal to the CD player. I've confirmed the following head units as candidates (there may be others!): CR-220, CDR-220, CDR22, CDR32. Here is a picture of the connector:
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:47 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I'm looking for something that adds bluetooth to the factory setup also.

Not interested in changing the headunit or amp (I have the MOST CDR23 setup).

Thinking about a Dension but the bluetooth version doesn't work with the CDR23 so it would have to be a Dension + Bluetooth to AUX which im not too keen on.
Look at a transitBlu (or something like that) it connects at the antenna

I have successfully been using one of the bluetooth to RF modulators and it works pretty well. Not as good a s a builtin Bluetooth, but good in any case. You do have to tune your radio to the selected frequency to use it
https://www.amazon.com/Geartist-GB01...GB01+Bluetooth

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4

MOST only affects the fiber optic signal to the amp. This is the electrical signal to the CD player. I've confirmed the following head units as candidates (there may be others!): CR-220, CDR-220, CDR22, CDR32. Here is a picture of the connector:
MOST also is the connection to the CD changer for audio at least on a CDR 23
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

"MOST also is the connection to the CD changer for audio at least on a CDR 23" JayG you are saying there are no electronics between the head unit and the remote CD player, it is ONLY fiber optics? I am hoping there is still an electronic signal to tell the CD Changer to start up, etc. I had MOST in my '03 C4S, wish I'd paid more attention to it.

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 01-06-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion