996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN Spin on adapter quieter start up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LN Spin on adapter quieter start up?

Is it just me, or is it part of the spin on design with the different oil filter that seems to make the car quieter when started? Seems to have less lifter tick when first started with the LN adapter.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:33 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I did not have the same observation/experience as you did (I am using Mobil 1 0W40 with a Mobil 1 filter). FWIW, I also added a filter magnet

P.S. Or I do not pay as much attention as you do

Last edited by kromdom; 11-05-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Oil pressure is higher too.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I didn't notice any of those changes.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If you fitted the adapter and different filter concurrent with an oil change the quietness probably results from the fresh oil. In both of my cars the engines are noticeably quieter at engine start after an oil change.

With the car with an oil pressure gage, I do not notice any difference in oil pressure once the engine/oil is up to temperature. The biggest factor in hot idle oil temperature that I have found is ambient temperature because this affects engine temperature and oil temperature.

(Might add both cars get used and driven long enough each time to get the engine fully up to temperature which keeps water build up in the oil down. If your usage involves short drives this tends to result in more water contamination of the oil and in this case perhaps the fresh oil would have the oil pressure up by a bit.)

On a cooler day and the engine doesn't run as hot and idle oil pressure is up with the needle steady at the 2 bar hash mark. On a hot day the engine naturally runs hotter and as a result hot idle oil pressure will be down a bit, as best I can tell around 1.7 bar. The needle's just a bit under/below the 2 bar hash mark.

The difference in temperature can be around 25F degrees. From 187F the other day on my morning drive to the office to on the warmest days 212F (at which point the radiator fans come on).
Old 11-06-2016, 09:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Oil pressure is higher too.
My experience was the oil pressure was a little lower than usual, although dealership as overfilled my oil and i'm not driving until they fix it (apart from to the dealership).
Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I didn't notice any of those changes.
x2
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost a small amount of low end torque, but it sounds great
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

With the LN SPOFA the primary oil circuit of the engine will get oil pressure faster.

If you noticed quieter start ups, then you have a lazy hydraulic chain tensioner that loves the faster oil pressure.

The filter does make a big difference. The Napa Gold filter is the best for a trade off of oil volume/ pressure, and filtration. Some filters are restrictive due to glue that is used to assemble the filter filling some of the pleats, or due to media selection used by the manufacturer.

I've used Napa Gold filters with the LN SPOFA for a decade with zero issues, and the hundreds of oil samples that we've seen with them clearly show the differences. Some people won't use them, because they don't have a big name. Some people aren't too smart.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
With the LN SPOFA the primary oil circuit of the engine will get oil pressure faster.

If you noticed quieter start ups, then you have a lazy hydraulic chain tensioner that loves the faster oil pressure.

The filter does make a big difference. The Napa Gold filter is the best for a trade off of oil volume/ pressure, and filtration. Some filters are restrictive due to glue that is used to assemble the filter filling some of the pleats, or due to media selection used by the manufacturer.

I've used Napa Gold filters with the LN SPOFA for a decade with zero issues, and the hundreds of oil samples that we've seen with them clearly show the differences. Some people won't use them, because they don't have a big name. Some people aren't too smart.
Thanks for that, I believe you are correct in that it gets oil much quicker my gauge when cold out 0*c right now is at 5 when first started and remains there until I drive about 15 minutes before it starts to drop to 3.5 ish while cruising. My car starts 10x quieter after the spin on being added.

I also wonder if my stock canister spring was on its way out or something?

Come to think of it as well not sure if I am crazy or not but I would swear the transition of the cam timing change around 3200 rpm is much less abrupt now.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I also wonder if my stock canister spring was on its way out or something?
Probably so. When this happens oil pressure to the main bearings is elevated. Why? Because the filter is bypassed, and leads to higher primary oil pressure, due to higher volume through the filter.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Oops wrong thread....

Last edited by dporto; 07-04-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: LN Spin on adapter quieter start up?