996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installed Speedtech Catless X-Pipe

Old 10-31-2016, 11:23 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installed Speedtech Catless X-Pipe

I received my Speedtech Catless X-Pipe Friday and installed it this weekend. I wish I had taken a picture before I installed it. The craftsmanship is beautiful. It was polished to a mirror sheen and looked even better than the pics on their website.

The install was very straight forward and it fit perfect! It came with all the required fasteners and gaskets. My only concern with the install is that that clamps that attached the exhaust to the hanger bracket were a bit loose on the x-pipe. I added a shim to account for that and everything tightened up fine. It definitely removed some weight and freed up some space back there!

As far as O2 sensors, I simply installed the pre-cat sensors in the correct bungs and then for the post-cat sensors I added a 90 degree O2 spacer and another O2spacer that has orifices that you can change out and threaded the sensors into those. I started with the smallest orifice. No CEL has popped up SO FAR... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I already had Fabspeed headers and mufflers. I was really hoping to do a full Fabspeed exhaust, but I just couldn't justify to myself that the Fabspeed x-pipe was twice as much. I do love my Fabspeed headers and mufflers though.

The Speedtech X-Pipe sounds great coupled with the Fabspeed components. It sounds like a race car when on the throttle hard but just throaty and pretty quiet when cruising. I am very happy with it. I didn't notice an appreciable drone on the Interstate.

I'll try to snap some pics of it installed tonight.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:26 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

I forgot to mention that I only noticed a very minor decrease in low end torque based on the butt dyno. But these engines rev so quickly it is not an issue at all.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know... I am looking at the NHP X pipe which is only $599... From my previous sports cars the X pipe has made the exhaust a little higher pitch than the factory set up. Have you noticed that at all? My Afterhours Exhaust is just Very Very deep and would like it to be a little higher pitched if possible
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

I would definitely say that this made it a bit higher pitched as it's reving. Some would say ricey, I say racey! It really sounds MUCH like a cup car to me with the Fabspeed headers and mufflers.

John D II is on here with an account and offers a Rennlist discount that gets it REALLY close to NHP. I've not laid hands on any NHP products, but Speedtech is first rate craftsmanship with quality materials. I almost hated to hide it under the bumper it looks so good.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Video would be great.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you are so pleased with your SpeedTech 996 X-Pipe and thanks for posting your experience.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt,

As a side note - A higher pitched tone is our goal on the Porsche flat 6, as it is the key to eliminating drone and sounds more like the highly desired GT3 exhaust tone. Low frequency tends to boom like bass on a stereo, which subsequently rattles the cabin and makes unwanted drone.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run almost the same setup, factory headers, fisters, and the catless x-pipe. I noticed zero drop In low end torque.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been running X51 headers (attached to my X51 motor), Fisters and the SpeedTech catless X-pipe the past 3 years on my track car. A W E S O M E sound.

I'd to go louder mufflers, maybe SpeedTech or, FS Supercups to complete the package.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

John,
Another happy customer with your catless X-pipe. However, I'm feeling a bit guilty about running catless - are you guys able to weld your cats into a pre-existing Speedtech x-pipe?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:38 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sure - if you send them in, we can do it...NP.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome I'll PM you soon. Should be a good winter project- thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

So, almost a month later. Daily driver. No CEL yet.

I really think the car is making more power without the cats. But, no dyno.

Here are a few pics showing the O2 spacers on the after-cat sensors. It is an adjustable spacer with the smallest orifice installed, then a 90 degree spacer. I would have tried to use just one of them, but they were both required to have the necessary length in the sensor wiring. It sounds self-evident, but unhooking the connectors on the O2 sensor cables helps keep them from twisting when removing an installing the sensors. The connectors for the driver's side are just in front of the latch and the two for the passenger side are just behind the passenger side tail light. (Pics below. I lifted these connector pics from another forum. Mine were cleaner!)

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Pre-cat and after-cat. After cat has two spacers.

Pre-cat

Last edited by mharrison; 11-20-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:58 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

I thought I'd add an update. Still no CELs after around 6 months of daily driving, spirited rides, and the occasional triple digit excursion.
The following users liked this post:
cjmahone66 (08-13-2019)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mharrison
I thought I'd add an update. Still no CELs after around 6 months of daily driving, spirited rides, and the occasional triple digit excursion.
Thanks for being diligent about updating us for free

Buying my set now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Speedtech Catless X-Pipe