Sponsored by:

996 Cab glass window vs plastic and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 996 Cab glass window vs plastic and...

I'm planning on getting a Porsche (my 4th) either in late winter or spring. My first choice is a 996 cab. and because I'd prefer a glass back window, that means a 2002 or newer. There aren't too many around but there are a lot of 2000 and 2001 cars.

I'm just wondering how the plastic windows hold up and how complicated and costly is it to have one replaced.

Also, is there enough of a difference between a 2001 and 2002 that I would regret not getting a 2002 (or newer)?

As I said, my first choice is 996 cab. For less than the cost of a 2 or 3 year old 996 cab, I can get a new Boxster S. That's also a dilemma because the thought of a new car vs. a used for more money makes the Boxster S tempting.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Charlie [aka Porscheless for too long!]
Old 10-26-2003, 12:25 PM
kmo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW.. had an 00 Boxster S w/plastic window and hated it. Constant maintenance. I kept the scratches under control using all the recommended products but the plastic discolored and fogged. I eventualy sold the the car for that and lack of interior room. I am expecting a new c2 cab in 60 days.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a 2000 cab with the plastic window and did not have any major problems with it. The few scratches were easily rubbed out. The biggest problem I had was a 85K car with a plastic window in the first place. My 2003 has the glass window and it is much easier to keep clean. The glass window is smaller and limits your visibility somewhat. The biggest reason to get 02 or newer is IMHO the greatly increased drivability. Drive both and I think you'll see the difference. There are plenty of 02 and newer cabs in socal. Let me know if you want my dealer info or local private seller inventory.

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:29 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

My 00 had a plastic window, could not see a damn thing through it. No matter how many times they "fixed" it, it was cloudy in a few days. Now have an 02 (glass) and love it!

Roy
Old 10-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I own a '99 996 Cab since new, and have had no problems keeping the plastic clean. Porsche Plastic Window Cleaner, applied and used correctly, followed by Plexus, again applied and used correctly, and you will have many long years of clear vision out the rear.

Or...put the top down and fuggetaboutit.

On another note, the downside for me was when the canvas began to separate along a one inch area of the bottom of the window, near a corner, for no reason. Though the car is my daily driver, it is garaged and never left out in bad weather. Never abused, always well maintained, and in showroom condition.

Porsche basically told me to stick it when I asked about this failure, since it was 6 months out of factory warranty, 30K miles on the car, etc.

The end result was a window replacement (the plastic retails for $733). Upon removing the old window, dealer found the zipper had broken, requiring a canvas top replacement (MSRP $2100 for parts alone, another $1000 for labor, on top of the plastic).

Was a real pain in the butt, especially when PCNA offered nothing other than a cursory "Porsches are expensive to maintain" slogan.

Really bites.

Other than that, take care of the rear plastic as listed above, and you can see through it just fine.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I own a '99 996 Cab since new, and have had no problems keeping the plastic clean. Porsche Plastic Window Cleaner, applied and used correctly, followed by Plexus, again applied and used correctly, and you will have many long years of clear vision out the rear.
Thanks for the info.

Do you have a problem with it creasing in the middle when the top folds? I know some convertibles do, I was wondering about the 996.

Thanks again,
Charlie
Old 10-26-2003, 10:26 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

The top on the 996 is so tight in the up position that the crease is out very fast, no problems at all when I had the plastic window on the C4 CAB, keep it up with plastic window cleaner and polish and it stays crystal clear.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Speed
Pro

I had a '99 cab and traded it in for a 2002 cab primarily to get the glass rear window. It is much improved and the visibility is much better especially at night. If you have any concern about being able to see police cruisers behind you at night, glass is the only way to go. The reduced area vs. plastic is really on the vertical and does not really reduce what you see from side to side. And, the glass is a lot easier to keep clean. One word of caution if you get the glass-- the rear glass is not as hard as the windshield glass and will scratch if you use anything abrasive (like a Scotchbrite sponge) to get anything stuck on the glass such as tree sap or bird droppings. (I learned this the hard way) If you do get the plastic you can prevent creases when the top is closed for the winter (assuming you have the removable hardtop) by putting a towel between the folds as you lower the top.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:51 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Have an 01, the plastic window is fine...besides in the winter you'd ideally be using a hardtop. The main reason to get an 02 v earlier model is the engine...and some other mechanical upgrades...
Old 10-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally posted by 01 C4 Cab NYC
Have an 01, the plastic window is fine...besides in the winter you'd ideally be using a hardtop. The main reason to get an 02 v earlier model is the engine...and some other mechanical upgrades...
I have the '00 model. I have had no problems keeping the window clear, just use some window clearner and the polish that came with the car. One trick to make it easier to get at the window, is to put the top half way down, disconnect the hold down cables in the back corners and then you can flip the back of the top up to get at the window from outside the car. Turns a half hour inside-the-car job into a ten minute outside-the-car one.

I fold a towel between the sides of the window for the winter, never have had a crease. In the sumer when I put the top down, I "usually" do it from outside the car as I am unlocking the car to take it for a ride. When I do it this way it allows me to make sure the plastic folds without a kink or crease. I have nearly 50k on my car, with no problems with the top at all.

As a matter of fact, this is the best year I have had with the car, it has settled into a comfortable "groove".

Quick Reply: 996 Cab glass window vs plastic and...