***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp*** - Page 8 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #106
texcwa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4gen2 View Post
I convinced myself that this box could not work like a Dension unit to replace the frunk CD changer and keep the original HU/amp in place as I had once hoped. So ... I bought a Transit Blu HF and couldn't be happier. $83 dollar solution (with the antenna adapters on Amazon) and a day under and behind the dash.

FM Modulators have certainly changed since I bought my first one a decade ago. The sound appears as good as the CD player IMO (reduced volume level, but ...) and the integration/operation is well thought out. You even get song title information through the HU/cluster via RDS. HF calling is simple and crystal clear. I had the added bonus of fixing the reception on my HU (the reason I started this endeavor in the first place), as I discovered during the install that the PO had left the antenna connection to the HU dangling behind the dash (probably removed their own Tranzit Blu before selling the car and forgot to plug it in!)

If you want to keep the original HU, this solution is a no-brainer IMO.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions.

Steve

I did a similar approach using the following:
  • Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator $36.94
  • Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit $34.99
  • Metra 40EU30 Antenna Adapters $$14.90
  • Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator $9.99 (eliminates any buzz or humming sounds)

Works great and good alternative for those with the MOST system.
texcwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #107
a4gen2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcwa View Post
I did a similar approach using the following:
  • Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator $36.94
  • Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit $34.99
  • Metra 40EU30 Antenna Adapters $$14.90
  • Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator $9.99 (eliminates any buzz or humming sounds)

Works great and good alternative for those with the MOST system.
Don't know how the Scosche unit works, but what I like about the iSimple unit is that it installs in-line with the factory antenna amp and disconnects it when Bluetooth is enabled. Dension makes a similar unit.

Steve
a4gen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #108
texcwa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4gen2 View Post
Don't know how the Scosche unit works, but what I like about the iSimple unit is that it installs in-line with the factory antenna amp and disconnects it when Bluetooth is enabled. Dension makes a similar unit.

Steve
The Scosche is also an inline with factory antenna but has a toggle switch that switches off the FM antenna signal so as to pass through the new source signal to radio (this eliminates any FM interference). It is set up to use a mini plug from source (phone. I pad, ect) only so this is why I use in conjunction with the Bluetooth kit so that I have both Bluetooth and the mini plug.
texcwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #109
a4gen2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcwa View Post
The Scosche is also an inline with factory antenna but has a toggle switch that switches off the FM antenna signal so as to pass through the new source signal to radio (this eliminates any FM interference). It is set up to use a mini plug from source (phone. I pad, ect) only so this is why I use in conjunction with the Bluetooth kit so that I have both Bluetooth and the mini plug.
Got it.

I had a mini-plug I routed to the glove box of my A4 with a Parrot BT kit, but found I always connected via BT and never used the plug, so not having one with the Tranzit box wasn't a problem for me.

Steve
a4gen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #110
clubracer6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCA58 View Post
If your talking about the ACC wire, it goes to the orange wire on the ignition switch, be sure to add a fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse to it close to the ignition switch, this will allow the head unit to stay on till key is removed. If your talking about the Alpine head unit power wire (yellow) there is a live 12 volt wire at the radio connection, I didn't pay attention to that because I used CAI harness plug and play harness they make, bought the kit for 45 dollars which included the antenna adapter also. plus no cutting into the P-car harness. https://cai-store.com/collections/al...ant=3737574725
Looks like this is all you need now,right??
clubracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote