Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a4gen2
Good idea re: the BT dongle. D2D isn't that important IMO but not running separate power is. I guess my decision is down to 2X cost for the Dension lite vs. waiting for this somewhat unproven box to show up on the slow boat from China.

Re: modding the CDR-23, that HU isn't worth my time. I would like to get songs and navigation directions to play off my iPhone in the car on occasion, but that's really it. I don't want to rip out the Bose amp, wiring, HU, move the A/C unit, .... To much work for me at this juncture in life.

Steve
Very small point, but I don't think that power amp is a Bose product. I couldn't find any sort of label on mine (since removed), but I strongly suspect that it is a Becker product.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:37 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Steve,

My Porsche 996 came with the upgrade HIFI most-based system with the CDR-23. The fiber optic output links the HU to the Becker amp in the frunk. The HU feeds the main output in digital form to the Becker amp for speaker-level signal distribution to the 6 chan/10 speaker system in these cars. The CD changer feeds an analog signal to the CDR-23 NOT via the optic cable. Basically, these adapters bypass the signal from the CD-changer and instead the audio signal comes from the analog mini headphone connector on the iPhone.
Not sure how factual the above statement is. I seem to recall that the CD changer (CDC4 if memory serves) is part of the optical loop. If the CD changer was feeding an analog signal to either the amp or the HU, ther would been a myriad of ways to substitute that analog signal.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,667 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikebigbumpers
Not sure how factual the above statement is. I seem to recall that the CD changer (CDC4 if memory serves) is part of the optical loop. If the CD changer was feeding an analog signal to either the amp or the HU, ther would been a myriad of ways to substitute that analog signal.
This is not a bad video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNCgWnQ3r8o
Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Please carefully read the video description.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Steve,

Do you have the Bose system with CDC-4?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Please carefully read the video description.
This was to show the connections of the CDC. But if Steve has the complete Bose most-based setup, that's a total different beast.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

What part do you find questionable?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Do you have the Bose system with CDC-4?
Sorry I wasn't clear from the beginning. I have a 2004 C4S with a CDR-23 and CDC-4 (functioning now). I assume it has a Bose amplifier, as the speakers in the car say "Bose" on them, but that is an assumption on my part. There appears to be an amplifier mounted in the frunk but it doesn't say Bose on it. The only markings I see are "412" or "A412".

It is certainly a MOST system, which is why I had expressed interest in this "new" optical to RCA converter.

Steve
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

This was to show the connections of the CDC. But if Steve has the complete Bose most-based setup, that's a total different beast.
Connection to and from the CDC is different depending on the year. This entire thread is regarding the MY03- cdr23 and cdc4 with MOST. The video description clearly says up to MY02, which makes it, along with your earlier comment regarding the analog input, completely not applicable.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Connection to and from the CDC is different depending on the year. This entire thread is regarding the MY03- cdr23 and cdc4 with MOST. The video description clearly says up to MY02, which makes it, along with your earlier comment regarding the analog input, completely not applicable.
You need to re-read the entire thread too. I was with "TurboJamie" from the beginning of this thread and if I remember correctly, it had nothing to do with a CDC4 or trying to interconnect with a fiber optic loop, but rather, using a analog pre-amp output on a HU to feed a Chinese based analog-to-fiber (i.e. MOST) conversion box. Jamie also interconnected a iPod mini to link to the HU which fed the conversion box that connected the MOST based frunk amp. It worked! I've helped many with Most based setups and yes, they are different depending on which option you went with. The last guy NEVER stated he was working with a Bose based setup; therefore, I was thinking he was dealing with the "HIFI" Porsche CDR-23 non-Bose MOST system. The only reason I linked that youtube was not to suggest using the hack, but to show the analog based CD changer's analog connections.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

You need to re-read the entire thread too. I was with "TurboJamie" from the beginning of this thread and if I remember correctly, it had nothing to do with a CDC4 or trying to interconnect with a fiber optic loop, but rather, using a analog pre-amp output on a HU to feed a Chinese based analog-to-fiber (i.e. MOST) conversion box. Jamie also interconnected a iPod mini to link to the HU which fed the conversion box that connected the MOST based frunk amp. It worked! I've helped many with Most based setups and yes, they are different depending on which option you went with. The last guy NEVER stated he was working with a Bose based setup; therefore, I was thinking he was dealing with the "HIFI" Porsche CDR-23 non-Bose MOST system. The only reason I linked that youtube was not to suggest using the hack, but to show the analog based CD changer's analog connections.
pop out your cdr23. bose or not it makes no difference. you'll find that there is no analog input on there. a bose system means the hu passes optial signal to frunk amp, and the frunk amp drives the speakers. it doesn't mean the cdc connects to the HU in any other way. the only analog lines in a cdr23 car are fm antenna and beween amp and speakers. if you are too lazy to pull out your cdr23, you can verify this through a cdr23 wiring diagram or a dension gateway500 installation guide. there's too much alternative truth out there today. let's keep this thread free from it.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Hows this for lazy...

Here are my Beckers and the amp is on top because it likes it that way. Call it a threesome. Ha!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

http://beckerautosound.com/porsche-p...24-aux/2865219
Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Thanks for the pic and the link. Anyone with any passing knowledge od eletronics in general can see that there are no inputs on the back of the cdr23. I, along with a few others, had talked about the becker retrofit in earliest posts and the disappointing fact that it is mono. Just for the record, in case you are still confused, this retrofit is not meant to be connected to the cd changer. The cd changer connects to the HU via optical. All the best with your future MOST related efforts.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Anyone with any passing knowledge od eletronics in general can see that there are no inputs on the back of the cdr23.
I haven't dealt with the beckers in quite a while and I'll admit I got my wires crossed (no pun intended). I was thinkin' about the CDR220 (which I also own) when I reached out to Steve.

I don't understand why you're pullin' a "KK rudeness" when you make comments like the one above. There's no need for that either. Frankly, the CDR220 and CDR23 look to have the same connectivity aside from the MOST fiber input which explains why there is a lot of people confused about these radios when digging through the many DIY threads and online schematics. Not that I'm a expert on the current technology, but when my family lived in Atlanta, we have a company that sold and installed the Beckers in the euro cars. They were some of the best technology around, but unfortunately, the early most-based models in the Porsche 996 had many gremlins which is why I think that Becker's favorite song is "The Sound of Silence". Ha!

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***