996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS GP HPDE Report - w/Video

Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default IMS GP HPDE Report - w/Video

Just spent the weekend thrashing my 996 around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway GP course. This was a very special DE event - there's nothing quite like Indianapolis. Kudos to the Mid-Ohio PCA, this group can run an event...could not have gone better. Nothing like camping out in a GP or Oval garage for three days, gridding up on Gasoline Alley then heading out pit row at speed.

The track surface is like a fine sandpaper - smooth, with tons of grip. We ran in the rain on Saturday and it's shocking how much grip the surface has. Kudos to the IMS crew, race control, safety teams, yellow-shirts, (remember this isn't a county-fair track), they kept us safe and maximized track time for all.

Highly recommended to anyone with some track experience who can make the drive.

One quick plug - I tried Ferodo ds2500 pads for the first time. They worked flawlessly once I bedded them in during the 1st session. Great initial bite and easy to modulate. No fade even after repeatedly shortening the turn 1 braking zone earlier in the weekend. Slowing down from 130+ to hit that first turn at the wall will cook your brakes.

Here's some video proof. I'm following a friend of mine in a Lingenfelter prepped ZL1 Camaro w/650 hp that can actually stop and turn. The Sumitomo's get a little greasy once they get too hot - especially when you're freely using the "slip angle" to your advantage.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:43 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great video! Thanks for posting.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Steve!!! What a great weekend that was.....my head is still there! Experience of a lifetime at the Holy Grail!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Steve!!! What a great weekend that was.....my head is still there! Experience of a lifetime at the Holy Grail!
Holy Grail - yes! Looks like we both took a photo from our mirrors before heading out on the Oval - nice new profile pic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS GP HPDE Report - w/Video