Sponsored by:

Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 AM
ynotony1966
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump?

1999 Porsche 911 C2, hard starting, but not one full of gas. Smells a little flooded when trying to start. storage racks at times, new battery. Replaced coolant temperature sensor, cleaned I'll control valve, new idol control motor. I thank you for any input you can give me.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ynotony1966
1999 Porsche 911 C2, hard starting, but not one full of gas. Smells a little flooded when trying to start. storage racks at times, new battery. Replaced coolant temperature sensor, cleaned I'll control valve, new idol control motor. I thank you for any input you can give me.
Not clear to me from your post, but does the engine start normally when the tank is full?

Does the engine crank OK just fail to fire and run, or does it spit and sputter, backfire, catch/die?

Does it idle ok then when it does start from cold? At other times does it run ok?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ynotony1966
Interesting symptom - full tank = starts O.K., less than full = no start/hard start ?
Assuming no codes, suggest you fill it with gas,start it and drive to someone with a Durametric. Drain/use enough gas to create the hard-start situation and check with the Durametric.
I confess that when faced with such confusing problems I sometimes just plod through all the basic maintenance items hoping to find the problem.This amateurish technique at least eliminates a lot of simple (& probably irrelevant)things like pending code reading,CPS,fuel filter, air filter,plugs,fuel leaks etc.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump?