Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank

Have had a couple of instances of P0422 (minor vapor leak) recently and an occasional fuel smell in the cabin.

Replaced the gas cap, however that did not solve the problem.

Replaced the fuel vent valve yesterday. Replacement went smoothly mechanically. However, when I went to fill the tank with gas, it would not fill at all.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else before. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuse E6 ?
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic.../?_fromLogin=1
Old 08-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Removed...duplicates Schnell Gelb's post.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks will check that..
Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Magnetic switch

There is a magnetic switch that goes into the housing of that valve, not mentioned in the pelican parts how to article...Looks like

If you didn't know to put it back into the housing it will not function, and you won't be able to fill the tank.

Magnetic switch
Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

There is a magnetic switch that goes into the housing of that valve, not mentioned in the pelican parts how to article...Looks like
yep, that is the issue. I remember seeing it and wondering what it connected to..

Back into the fender we go.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I was having an issue filling the tank so I just did this same repair on Friday. Though I haven't tried filling my tank yet to see if the valve replacement fixed my issue.
However, during my installation, I didn't see this magnetic switch. Do all 996's have the magnetic switch?

I may have to dig into the fender too.

Mike
Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

This part is more commonly refered to as a "Reed Switch" or valve?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...ic-switch.html
Old 08-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

^^^^
I swear I didn't see this switch while swapping the valve... it wasn't attached to the valve, or dangling anywhere...interesting...

I guess I'll find out when I go to the gas station shortly and, mentally prepare to do the job again.

Mike
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

You will note that when I put in a new fuel line vent valve, I didn't notice it either. I even took a picture of the original valve to make sure I put everything back the way it was supposed to be. But when I went to button everything up, that sensor was hanging. I frantically googled to find out what it was and even posted here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...is-sensor.html

Funny story about how I knew I needed a new one: I was driving back from where I bought my 911 and stopped to fill up (it was a 250 mile trip). I was having a ball driving my new(to-me) sports car down the highway.

I got back into the car, and it wouldn't start. It would crank, but not ignite. Several tries produced the same results.

So there I am, having just dropped $$$ on a car that would not start. I had visions of the cost of flat bedding it back home, having a mechanic sort out the problem and sat in the car for a few minutes, cursing my very existence.

Before I gave up and called a tow, I gave it one last shot and it fired up first try. Some quick googling on "966 won't start after fuelling up" lead me to the fuel vent valve. $70 later and it was fixed...well, $70 and several hours cursing my existence trying to find out what that sensor was.

BTW. If you look about 1/2 the way down the page on the Pelican Parts How to you will see this exchange:

Comments: I have the same problem as Allen from Dec 1 2013 above I installed a new vent valve to solve hard starting. I have the same sensor hanging by 2 wires and now can not fill with fuel. Where does the sensor go, will that solve the problem?

Followup from the Pelican Staff: Can you share a photo of the sensor or can you identify it from our tech article and point it out to me? - Nick at Pelican Parts

Comment : See the attached photo.

Followup from the Pelican Staff: GREAT! Thanks for sharing the photo. There is a small black plastic molded piece that is fitted to the filler neck. That magnetic switch pops into that black piece. It should be obvious that it fits inside of it. WITHOUT it installed, you will have the issue you are experiencing. - Nick at Pelican Parts

There are several other people with the same comment. Why they haven't updated the how-to with this knowledge is unknown. Their failure to do so is no less than criminal.
The following users liked this post:
Loyal (04-28-2023)
Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 AM
Rdrcr
Racer

^^^^
Oddly enough, I was able to fill my tank without the pump stopping??? Everything seems to be functioning properly (though I developed a new issue while driving to the station...but, that will be posted in another thread). Does the '99 have the reed switch?

Mike
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Here is a link to the Pelican How to referred to above:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Vent_Valve.htm
scroll down to :
November 21, 2013
October 5, 2014
Obviously a very confused subject that needs a comprehensive,updated DIY guide
Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

^^^^
Indeed. Especially for a Noob like me!

Mike
Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Hopefully the next time we have this question(& it is frequent) somebody remembers Mike's helpful comments.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually did this repair recently AND ensured the reed switch went back into place. I also took the time to put a screenshot in the Pelican Parts article. Problem is I still have the fuel filling issue. The replacement part I used was new from Porsche dealership. Is there another way for me to diagnose what is going on besides re-installing the same part again?

It took me 15 minutes today to add 5 gallons of gas to the car.

ETA: Fuse E6 was blown (thought I checked it before) -- I replaced it and it blew again. Where should I be looking for this short occurring? Is it back under the fender?

Last edited by djbooya; 04-08-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added fuse check issue

Quick Reply: Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank