Sponsored by:

Headlight Washers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I think the whole idea of headlight washers is a crap idea in my opinion. Unless you have a 4x4 and go mudding a lot, I can't see how they are useful.
I'll expand on alpine's comments, too, since you are so errant in your thinking. My story about winter driving doesn't include a Porsche.

I was traveling with a co. president on a day when several inches of wet snow had fallen quickly and turned to slush. Road crews weren't out, or couldn't keep up. The air temp fell dramatically as night fell, but the slush remained. So the slush tossed up by passing cars/cars I passed froze on the car and headlights. The very regular use of headlight washers allowed the headlights to penetrate the darkness, and not insignificantly, kept me from stopping on the side of the road to clear the frozen slush off the headlights. I used about a gallon of washer fluid in one day, traveled unimpeded and as safely as possible in difficult, if not dangerous conditions.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Naw Steve, errant thinking is driving a Porsche 996 (that only has about 5 inch ground clearance) in nasty salt and sand infested snow. Ok ok ok... I get it, some folks drive their 911s in snow, but come on... don't you know that driving your Porsche 996 in salty snow will cause IMS catastrophic failure?
oppsss.. sorry, errant thinking again. I'm just messin' with you!

Seriously, to each his own and if you like to blast pretty pink colored unicorn semen out of those fancy chrome capped washers on your $4000 set of HID Porsche headlight enclosures, by all means, go right ahead. But I've learn my lesson... don't use'm. But of course, I don't even drive my 996 in rain much less snow and so I'm good. However, I have gone through two sets of Volvo enclosures and I'm not gonna spend the mega bucks it takes to replace the Porsche versions. I know, I know... some people do the headlight restoration, but that doesn't work perfectly either and in many cases makes the enclosure look worse.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 08-19-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 PM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stever996
My story about winter driving doesn't include a Porsche.
Huh?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by stever996
Huh?
(((Loud voice))) That's good to know Steve!!!

(Snicker)
Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I use my headlight washers in Fla often. They are very helpful during Love Bug season, ( Love Bugs are flying fornicating while flying bags of acid filled sh***) I use my washers after driving through swarms of bugs on the bridges over swampland and also in the aftermath of rain where its just enough to kick up wet road road schmutz.

Used them up to 90+ MPH. Still there, and just fine.

Quick Reply: Headlight Washers