996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Very broken 2002 3.6 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:57 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit of an update after a long time. Finally managed to source a good second hand 3.6 engine which I am going to collect next week so fingers crossed I can get it back on the road again soon.

If anybody needs any parts from my dead 3.6, let me know as I've stripped it right down.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Wow this was ages ago and I never updated the thread. So I rented a van and drive the 250 miles up to Wigan (UK) to collect the engine which was in great condition and had been scoped to check the bores. Also had 10k miles less than my broken engine. Got it all the way back with no dramas and set to work on it.

Got it fitted in with no major dramas along with a new low temp thermostat, new drivebelt, oil filter, spark plugs, clutch, exhaust gaskets, all clamps, all new stainless bolts etc.

It started first time and ran perfectly - only problem was bleeding the coolant as I got an airlock and couldnt get any heat through the vents. I fully drained in again and this time I mean FULLY drained it and refilled. Bled up fine and I've now done a good 500 miles plus in it and have finally gained confidence back in the car.

Engine seems superb, no hesitation, no smoke and I'm enjoying being back in it.

Since then I have also done new droplinks and ARB bushes (original Porsche) front and rear and have also just ordered brand new genuine front top mounts, caliper hard pipes all round and some Goodridge braided hoses which I'll do in the next few weeks.

Next up going to get a new Apple Carplay ready Stereo (probably Alpine) and some new exhaust silencers.

In the process of fixing the 996 I also bought a 986 for very good money as it was suffering from an overheat issue. That should also finally be on the road this weekend so all done in time for summer.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news and wishing you many happy miles! Any thoughts on why it failed in the first place? Or just bad luck?

Volkert
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

I would say most likely D-chunk failure which allowed coolant to flood it, hydrolocked the engine causing the rod to snap. As the rod snapped, it hit the crank case with such force that it cracked it.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to hear you found a new engine replacement and purchased a 986 as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on getting the 996 sorted! I hope you have many good years left with the car! And thanks for the interesting thread.

Quick Reply: Very broken 2002 3.6 996 C4S