Sponsored by:

Clutch issue I haven's seen - throbbing like vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:13 AM
mattpiunno
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch issue I haven's seen - throbbing like vibration

Thank you upfront for replies and insights on my question. I spent days going through forums diagnosing my clutch issue to determine if i could "hands-on" it myself, but i'm still unsure of where exactly the problem is.

Issue: A sensation in clutch pedal that feels like rubbing or sticking, on closer attention is more like throbbing/vibrating/pulsing when releasing the clutch in the in seemingly all of the pedal range, from the floor before release and contact of flywheel and plate through contact, all the way up through the free range.

Clutch- No slipping, seriously none.

•timeframe: Within last week, during some gentle drives since noticing
•miles: 30k
•All city driving so my clutch could be worn out.
•2002 C4S 996
•Clutch symptoms previous: the pedal squeaked on the interior when pushed all the way to the floor
•Driving style - I probably get a little excited once in a while and get over 2k rpm while disengaging the clutch, (maybe i warped a flywheel but few others describe doing this in a 996)
• I mention a warped flywheel because the problem symptoms only occur when the engine is running. if the motor os off the clutch depress certainly seems tough but not sticky, grainy or grinding.

i read through a ton of clutch forums and posts and my range seems normal, my clutch pedal seems normally heavy and hard to push down, my setup seems to be described frequently overall as far as range and where it grabs as normal.

• i do not have slipping
• i do not have external noises
• gears shift and engage normally
• no noticeable change in clutch engagement / range since i purchased the vehicle 3 years ago.
• no repairs needed in 3 years of daily driving, lots of stops/starts every day, lots of engine hours if it was a boat

• The only thing i can say that may get me deep criticism (due to city driving) i very often go 1,2,4 and skip 3. but i use the clutch correctly.
• if i am ever shifting /clutching at high rpms I'm usually moving from 2nd to third as i do not skip gears when I'm running for a zero-60 on ramp because I'm trying to be in the power band of the motor.

after a last round research I'm going out to check the fluids again, and more closely inspect the cabin components. pedal, assist spring and master cylinder

it can certainly be clutch, ims/rms. But OTHER than the fact i feel the motor in the clutch pedal i feel (think believe and swear i feel with my foot) that its like th clutch pedal or whatever its connected to near the cabin, because the clutch works well overall and always has the same.

anyone experience this? or am i just reading all the clutch replacement threads wrong and symptom no one describes because its to dumb obvious is that the clutch pedal feels lousy and the clutch is tricking you by working until it totally malfunctions?

Matt
Old 05-11-2016, 02:37 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a throw out bearing issue . Could be the dual mass fly wheel . Does the noise change when you push the pedal in durring shifts ?

Start putting away cash , when you have enough for a clutch job or if it gets much worse drop the tranny and refresh everything .
Might as well do the ims & rms while you're in there .
Old 05-11-2016, 03:01 AM
mattpiunno
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Vancouver996.

For your first question, upon pressing the clutch in i do not think there is a change in the sensation (its not a noise). i do not seem to notice it as much doing the push in of the clutch, i mostly feel it on the release of the clutch during the pedal moving up. like it is sticking/jerking, but the sensation is mimicking the engine feeling, amplifying it. So "no".

I hear you loud and clear on the refresh everything when i do it.

I am trying to determine if something minor is rubbing ( maybe metal on metal amplifying the engine and giving me the pulsing throbbing feeling) or is something like dual mass flywheel damaged and causing further damage to other clutch components.

i was thinking heavily since my researched started that it is the throw out bearing. only recently did i start focus near the pedal.

Mainly, i am trying to avoid:
• total catastrophe. where something minor(wish) can be fixed now preventing a total malfunction of everything
i• a total clutch failure where i cant even move the car. at least now its completely drivable.

if it needs everything(ims/rms, clutch etc etc) it does, but if there is some freakish common thing with the pedal/cabin components i would love to tackle it there first.

any other comments and or questions are appreciated.

Oh, i have had to do one repair, part of the back taillights where it mounts to the car deteriorated and i fixed it with a washer and epoxy or something because its fairly hidden. the fix has been inlace for 2+ years without further issue. lol. epoxy fixes almost anything. duck tape fixes almost nothing.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
Sounds like a throw out bearing issue.
2nd. As stated, might as well do it all while you're there (Clutch/Flywheel/IMS/RMS/AOS) - About $5k roughly dependent on parts price and your shop rates.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes it's definitely being transmitted from the clutch itself either the throw out bearing is shot and causing vibration as it spins or the dual mass flywheel has had it and is causing vibration, as it gets worse it can effect the clutch slave cylinder as this is in the middle transmitting all this vibration through itself to the pedal from the clutch, eventually it will fail as the vibration increases so I would say get it done when you can sooner rather than later !

Quick Reply: Clutch issue I haven's seen - throbbing like vibration