Sponsored by:

New Pcar in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:00 AM
lomax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Pcar in Denver

I have been slightly active on the forum but wanted to introduce myself properly here in the 996 section. About a month ago I did the old fly and drive from Denver down to Phoenix and picked up this 99 C4. 47K on the car and 35K on a dealer replaced engine. The first things done were a trip to the indy to get a full checkout and IMS done. I am so glad I did as the Dual row IMS in the car was loose and on its way to failure. The clutch was also quite grooved so that got done also.

All fluids changed and flushed and a full checkout done. Everything seems to be great except I am having some intermittent top issues.

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot about the car so far. More to learn I am sure.

Thanks again for all the information and I know there is a lot more to learn.

Marc
Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Beautiful car! Love the 3rd picture....more details on the bearing that was loose? Pictures?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
lomax
Instructor

I don't have any pictures of the IMS bearing but could take some I guess. It looks just like an IMS bearing. The seals were still intact but I am able to rock the bearing on the shaft. I am sure if I pulled the seals out the keepers would probably be about shot. It had not failed yet as in coming apart or shedding any metal but was loose and I feel I dodged a bullet on this one.

The picture was yesterday on a nice 70 degree day but we still have a bit of snow up high.

One more just for fun.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:18 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

congrats and welcome. good thing your PPI (POST Purchase Inspection) may have saved you
Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome! Love the car. It's unbelievable how fun these are.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations on your new car and on saving the engine! Looks beautiful in the pics. Love the little wing.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Congrats and welcome! You should consider participating in some local events through PCA in the Rocky Mountain Region or though the local Porsche Breakfast Club. We just had our first drive of the season yesterday from Denver down to Colorado Springs to have lunch at the Edelweiss German Restaurant. There were 88 Porsche enthusiasts on the drive.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose bearing sounds odd. Make sure after your first oil change you open up the filter and inspect for metallic debris just to be safe.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 PM
lomax
Instructor

I did sign up for the PCA a couple of days ago and will keep an eye out for functions. Of course driving a 996 I will be the Black Sheep of the pack.

The shop that did my IMS said they usually see the bearings in good shape or failed. This is the first one they have seen in the process of failing. As the car got a brand new engine at 12K miles and this bearing was on its way out at 49K I am thinking that the IMS may not be perfectly straight or something. Of course it should have gotten an all new one at 12K. I guess time will tell and the oil change inspections will be thorough as time goes by. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by lomax
I did sign up for the PCA a couple of days ago and will keep an eye out for functions. Of course driving a 996 I will be the Black Sheep of the pack.
Not at all. I'd say that there are more 996 and 986 cars in the group than any others.

Yesterday's drive had a very nice variety of cars, including lots of 356s, lots of air-cooled 911s, 997s, 991s and even a 918 Spyder. All the crap about which car is better than the other is nonexistent when people meet in person. That stuff is mostly found in web forums. In person, people just like to get together and talk about cars.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
jdogden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! You picked the best time of year to begin with a new car. The next RMRPCA event is this weekend with an autocross school on Saturday and a full auctocross on Sunday. I will be there on Sunday with my '03 Targa. Consult the rmr.pca.org website for details on how to register for the event at the Front Range Airport.

John
'03 Targa
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
lomax
Instructor

Looks interesting. I may run out there Sunday just to meet some people and take a drive. I did used to race FV with RMVR many years back so this could be fun. Not sure if I want to beat the car up or not but then again that is up to the driver eh LOL:
Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 PM
jdogden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The autocross is a safe way to performance drive your Porsche. My targa has been a 1st place winner the last three summers at the Denver Concours d'elegance. Can't make the show this year because of a wedding in the family.

John
'03 Targa
Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM
lomax
Instructor

Old thread I know but what the heck. I sure am learning about what it means to own a Porsche

The first big bill of about $5K I expected as I got all the post inspection work done listed above. Then the top stopped working and it took three shop visits to get it diagnosed, ordered some part, that did not fix it, ordered more parts and many bucks later with both flap motors replaced it works fine after another $1K or so.

Then I got a Check engine light showing an error with the O2 sensor in the right bank. I cleared the code and it has not come back on but I am probably looking at $1K in O2 sensors in the future.

Then tonight when putting the top down it went crunch as the left rear window did not roll down all the way. The window is now stuck 1/2 open but thank the Gods I got the top back up. Yes I need to leave it outside for a couple of days so I guess I will wrap it in trash bags and look all ghetto like. Whee I am sure that will be cheap to fix and if the one window broke I assume the others are not too far behind.

So who ever said you will spend a couple thousand dollars in maintenance every year is SEVERAL thousand dollars off.

But for that day or two when I actually get to drive it it is still a blast. Maybe I should trade it for a BMW that is cheap to maintain.

Marc
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey, look on the bright side. Your engine hasn't grenaded!

Quick Reply: New Pcar in Denver