Sponsored by:

DIY IMSB Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DIY IMSB Replacement Questions

Sorry - but I couldn't find the answers to these in one place. I am planning to DIY a new IMSB for my car as preventative maintenance. I am trying to figure out the complete Bill of Material I will need.

Are the pressure plate bolts one time use or do I replace them?

Are the flywheel bolts one time use or do I replace them?

I have the encapsulated bolts for the IMSB flange and the LN Pro installation kit. Any other special items I need?

I will evaluate the clutch condition after inspection - what is the clutch disc wear limit (thickness)?

TIA for the voice(s) of experience. A little nervous about this but it actually looks pretty straightforward and I have a lift so....how hard can it be?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

So partially answering my own question, it appears flywheel bolts are one time use but the pressure plate bolts may be reused.

And I found some info on clutch disk wear limits on Renntech though the gist of that thread is "just replace it".
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Buy new pressure plate bolts....they are specialized fasteners, so if you screw one up removing it, you won't have a replacement on hand. When I had to go into my 944, I had to drill a few out, and I spent 1/2 day chasing something down that would work at local hardware stores. Just get new ones and have them on hand.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Is it necessary to drain the engine oil? Will oil run out of the IMSB flange when removed?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

May I ask... And don't take this the wrong way, but... Why not just let a professional do it? You're saving 1000 dollars but have the potential to have to put out 15k invade you make one small mistake. I've put engines into cars, done turbo builds, etc. but this is something that I would leave to a professional.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
May I ask... And don't take this the wrong way, but... Why not just let a professional do it? You're saving 1000 dollars but have the potential to have to put out 15k invade you make one small mistake. I've put engines into cars, done turbo builds, etc. but this is something that I would leave to a professional.
The reason why I work on my own cars is two fold.

1. I love getting out in the garage and doing the work. Gets me away from my normal life, away from a computer.

2. Why pay somebody else to do the job for you and they almost never do it as well as I do? This way I know what was done right, where there was an issue, and I learn a lot, but mostly I can't find people to do it the way I want it done. There are a lot of hack mechanics out there.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
Why pay someone else to live your life when you could live it yourself. As a first time DIY, I've already experienced that working on these cars is almost as much fun as driving them and makes you appreciate them even more.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buttoned up mine. Seems like you will need a power bleeder for clutch slave.
I've bled many many cars the conventional "pump the pedal" way and this is a first time I stumble upon a system that needs a pressure bleeder. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, building mine out of Weed Spray Tank
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am of the Paul and Slakker attitude about this work. I have been quoted a very good price by an Indie, but it really doesn't look like a super difficult job (though I recognize it is super important to get it right). I also want the time and opportunity to evaluate the clutch, evaluate the transmission mount, and then proceed accordingly at my pace and my price.

I have a bit of experience working on cars as a hobby, I have a nice shop, I have a lift, I'm retired so I have more time than money, etc., etc.

Still curious about the oil thing - do I have to drain it?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Is it necessary to drain the engine oil? Will oil run out of the IMSB flange when removed?
Yes drain the oil The oil level normally sits about 1/2 way up the center of the IMSB at rest. Also the heads will drip from the cam plug holes if not drained first.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

I thought I had read the IMS is submerged (which makes me wonder why we need external lube or a carbon bearing that performs well when not lubricated...???). Appreciate the input and voice of experience.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I thought I had read the IMS is submerged (which makes me wonder why we need external lube or a carbon bearing that performs well when not lubricated...???). Appreciate the input and voice of experience.
Stock IMS is sealed and doesn't take advantage of the engine oil system.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

I respect and applaud everyone who tackles this on a diy setting. I don't want to come across as being douchey or anything. Just my opinion. Friggin Internet has this forum has me bitten with ims bearing night terrors haha.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Youri Ko
Just buttoned up mine. Seems like you will need a power bleeder for clutch slave.
I've bled many many cars the conventional "pump the pedal" way and this is a first time I stumble upon a system that needs a pressure bleeder. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, building mine out of Weed Spray Tank
I unbolted my slave and hung it out of the way. It is much easier to unbolt it with the trans partially dropped. Same putting it back just be sure to get the rod into the pivot hole.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:45 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This might help
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: DIY IMSB Replacement Questions