Sponsored by:

New Member, Considering a 2001 Carrera 4 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Mr. Quattro
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
What a great collection and congratulations to you for possibly picking up your new-to-you P car! Looks like you're all too familiar with Audi's. What was your previous project/DD car? I just actually added a B7 RS4 to the stable at home. It's 1 of 150 made in Sprint Blue.Seems like your family is full of gear heads. I have a GD STi in the garage. Any pictures of his?
Previous project car was a B8 A4 automatic Quattro, dropped, wheels, blacked out. The lowered suspension became a pain to deal with daily so I traded it in for the red one.

Name:  photo66.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.13 MB

And this is my dad's STi; when he bought it new it was the 3rd one with that body style in CT.

Name:  photo359.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  601.0 KB
Old 01-14-2016, 01:57 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Quattro
Previous project car was a B8 A4 automatic Quattro, dropped, wheels, blacked out. The lowered suspension became a pain to deal with daily so I traded it in for the red one.

And this is my dad's STi; when he bought it new it was the 3rd one with that body style in CT.
Awesome! The RS4 has the Stassis coils that were in collaboration with Ohlins. The ride is so rough, so we'll probably swap out the springs for something that rides a bit more smooth. Very clean B8. Looks like you did the RS4 grille swap. I love those grilles. The B7 RS4 grille doesn't allow you to do the swap from the B8 RS4, but you can with the RS6 grille so that was the first order of mods on the RS4. What a pain in the butt it was to do that on the B7 platform though. Looks like your dads STi was the '08 hatch? Funny, traded the '08 STi for the RS4! Did your dad's STi suffer from the ringland failure issue at all?
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Mr. Quattro
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Awesome! The RS4 has the Stassis coils that were in collaboration with Ohlins. The ride is so rough, so we'll probably swap out the springs for something that rides a bit more smooth. Very clean B8. Looks like you did the RS4 grille swap. I love those grilles. The B7 RS4 grille doesn't allow you to do the swap from the B8 RS4, but you can with the RS6 grille so that was the first order of mods on the RS4. What a pain in the butt it was to do that on the B7 platform though. Looks like your dads STi was the '08 hatch? Funny, traded the '08 STi for the RS4! Did your dad's STi suffer from the ringland failure issue at all?
It did have an RS grille, and I'll have one for the B8.5 shortly. As far as I know the STi has been bulletproof in all weather conditions, but he doesn't beat on it.

As for the 996, thank you all for the advice! It looks like the car got a stay of execution and my uncle is going to hang onto it for a bit longer, so I have some more time to contemplate.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:58 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

So if you are willing to invest time and your own labor into working on the cab top, you may be able to fix it for very little cost. That has been my experience anyway. My roof had a leak as well ('99 cab with 80K miles on it, always garaged). It turned out the the problem was with the seal between the roof and the frame above the drivers and passengers front windows. I took apart the front of the cab roof and it was obvious that water was collecting (and leaving water stains) near the seal. I took it apart and cleaned the seal, put some gummy pfledge on the rubber and put it back together, making sure the screws holding it together were nice and tight.
Luckily we are having lots of rain here in CA so it was put to the test and the leak is now gone.

I agree that these cars can be repaired and maintained at reasonable cost but only if you avoid dealers and do the work yourself. Otherwise it can get very expensive.

Quick Reply: New Member, Considering a 2001 Carrera 4 Cabrio