996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Compartment Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tornador black is nice....all metal iirc, so should be more durable than the regular one with plastic cones.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:11 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

My preferred method is to protect the alternator and liberally spray APC. Scrub with lugnut brush and rinse with low pressure water before APC dries up. Hand dry with microfibers and apply 303 to plastic components.

Low water pressure is not going to harm your motor. If you run into electrical problems, chances are you had a bad connection to begin with and it's probably better to figure it out while the car is in your garage than on the side of the road on a rainy day. Some common sense will go a long way into what you think should or shouldn't be doused with water. While the tornado tools are nice, nothing comes close to elbow grease and attention to detail. I think you'll have a hard time fitting the tornado into the engine bay, especially with the hose attachments.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

No, quite the opposite. the Tornador and the compressed air it's shooting out will get into the nooks and crannies elbow grease cannot reach.

it's my favorite tool in my detailing cart. don't know how I ever detailed a vehicle without it.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

There are some very maneuverable brushes for nooks and crannies that cost a fraction of the price.

How far in the engine bar are you able to get your tornado and how close do you need to get the nozzle? I've wanted one for a while, but lack of compressed air would render it an expensive paper weight. Apartment dwelling sucks.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I think I recall there is a mention in the Owner Manual about rinsing the engine off with water and the only caution was do not spray water on the alternator.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:59 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

wherever the nozzle fits, that's where it goes. there's also several different tips you can use. I use the Tornador for everything. especially handy for door jamb cleaning....and wheel cleaning...and carpet cleaning...vents....etc. compressed air gets to the spots your brushes can't.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

I've cleaned the 996 (and all of my cars) engines just using mild car wash soap and water. It works well and has never caused a problem. It doesn't require harsh chemicals at all in my experience -- usually even the first time you clean it, but definitely no strong chemicals needed after that. I strongly prefer 303 overall Armorall (I won't use Armorall for anything because it's silicone based).

Originally Posted by Dennis "N" SC
I had never heard of Tornador but looked it up. It looks great. Was looking at Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun , Z020 for about $165.00. Do you know anything about this model?
First I've hear of the Tornador also, but looks very interesting. From what I've read, the more expensive black one is supposed to be much more efficient with air while the white one is air-thirsty (causing the compressor to run a lot). I would love to hear feedback if anybody has tried both. I'm leaning towards the white one because it's half the price of the black one, but would like to hear if the black one has other significant advantages to justify the much higher price.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
wherever the nozzle fits, that's where it goes. there's also several different tips you can use. I use the Tornador for everything. especially handy for door jamb cleaning....and wheel cleaning...and carpet cleaning...vents....etc. compressed air gets to the spots your brushes can't.
I looked this up on youtube and it looks so neat. I ordered one from Amazon today but was wondering if if the pressure was too high for instruments. Is there a flow control? Can you limit the amount of water flow?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

you would control the psi at the air compressor, and there's a toggle switch to turn on the sprayer or turn it off to just spray compressed air.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Compartment Cleaning