Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Carrera can someone shed some light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Carrera can someone shed some light?

Hey guys,

I am one day away from picking up what may be my first Porsche ever. I have one more stop for a PPI at speciality Porsche mechanic at 8:30 am tomorrow to have everything checked out before I hand over the check to finalize. I am purchasing a 6spd 2000 911 Carrera coupe with 72k miles for the price of 22k. It is a one owner and very well maintained with service records so to cut to the point I wanted to know your honest opinion on a couple things...

- While the car does have service records the previous owner has no history of ever doing the IMS or RMS so with that being said do you find this a good deal still or could I do better?

- Does the mileage throw a red flag in anyway since it hasn't been driven much and since this will be my daily driver?

Any other input would be awesome and I would be very grateful. This has been my dream car since they came out and can't believe I am so close to owning a P car. I just want some reassurance I am getting a good deal and make sure I am not missing anything.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

If the PPI comes back clean......I would not fret over the IMS/RMS.
Just compare prices with equivalent Porsche's with similar miles.....only you can determine if you are getting a good deal.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I planned on changing them out anyways as a wear part when the clutch needs fixed, Would just really be awful to have it go considering it is sold "AS IS" and I can afford to replace wear parts and maintain the car but will not be in the shape to purchase a new engine right away after this purchase I saved for lol.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Can't*
Old 01-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I cannot accurately comment on the price as I don't follow these that closely anymore.

I suspect that it's possible to do a bit better price-wise, but if this is the car you want, and if it has had good maintenance, and if the PPI does not show any expensive needs, then you should be happy with the car at the price.
Think about those three "ifs" though and make sure of them.

Mileage seems just right to me. Not garage queen low, and not so high as to be thoroughly worn.

If the RMS is not leaking, don't sweat it. It is not highly likely to start leaking now, and it may very well have been changed when the car was very new.

Replacing the IMS is another whole topic that we probably don't want to get into again. Plenty of threads to research and read about the issue from every point of view ad nauseum.

IMO, 996s are getting to the age where the specific model and the car's condition are the most important determination of value.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

^ Agree 100% with everything brother Spokayman just said.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I cannot accurately comment on the price as I don't follow these that closely anymore.

I suspect that it's possible to do a bit better price-wise, but if this is the car you want, and if it has had good maintenance, and if the PPI does not show any expensive needs, then you should be happy with the car at the price.
Think about those three "ifs" though and make sure of them.

Mileage seems just right to me. Not garage queen low, and not so high as to be thoroughly worn.

If the RMS is not leaking, don't sweat it. It is not highly likely to start leaking now, and it may very well have been changed when the car was very new.

Replacing the IMS is another whole topic that we probably don't want to get into again. Plenty of threads to research and read about the issue from every point of view ad nauseum.

IMO, 996s are getting to the age where the specific model and the car's condition are the most important determination of value.
Awesome thanks for this. I apologize for bringing up the IMS topic again as I know everyone is beyond sick of it... It is the first thing that comes up when looking to purchase on the web though haha. You helped put my mind at ease more.

One thing I did notice was a buckle on the passenger side directly under the seat that looks as though it's for a track seat belt which has me wondering if it has been used as a track car unless I'm missing something and that is supposed to be there.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:51 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Is it the exact color you want? Exact int you want? Exact options? Is this your 'dream' car for a first time P owner? For $22k, in a common coupe, with a common color, with a bit below average miles, I would say the price is on the high side. One-owner with documentation adds a bit, but like you said, no IMSB service.

If it's what you really, really want I wouldn't sweat a few thou over market. For the life of the car, paying a bit more is a drop in the bucket. I just got what I really wanted for $6k less money. 99 coupe in red/tan with sport options and aero. I would have paid over $20k for the deal but maybe I got lucky. Frankly, I'd keep looking. Right now the winter prices are out, but that limits the variety. Come late March you'll have more to choose from and prices will be about the same.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
Is it the exact color you want? Exact int you want? Exact options? Is this your 'dream' car for a first time P owner? For $22k, in a common coupe, with a common color, with a bit below average miles, I would say the price is on the high side. One-owner with documentation adds a bit, but like you said, no IMSB service.

If it's what you really, really want I wouldn't sweat a few thou over market. For the life of the car, paying a bit more is a drop in the bucket. I just got what I really wanted for $6k less money. 99 coupe in red/tan with sport options and aero. I would have paid over $20k for the deal but maybe I got lucky. Frankly, I'd keep looking. Right now the winter prices are out, but that limits the variety. Come late March you'll have more to choose from and prices will be about the same.
You got a killer deal congrats on that! Yea it's exactly the one I want and I have looked at a bunch of them. This one I am probBly going to purchase drives the best by far out of all of them I've tested. So why do you say late March? There are more cars available in the spring?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nailedit
You got a killer deal congrats on that! Yea it's exactly the one I want and I have looked at a bunch of them. This one I am probBly going to purchase drives the best by far out of all of them I've tested. So why do you say late March? There are more cars available in the spring?

More cars available in spring due to most living in snowy areas won't list due to less than ideal driving conditions. If you live in the south then the market will most likely stay the same. Also prices trend up during spring/summer and trend down fall/winter.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

In spring, a young man's fancy turns to -- cars.

For the NE, it makes a difference because so many put their cars up for the winter. Come end of March, a few warm days and they'll go out and get it ready for the coming year. A few will say 'screw it, I can't keep doing this' and they'll put it up for sale after a decent cleaning. Or - they'll trade it in for a new shiny bauble, and the trade in will be avail on a car lot.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
In spring, a young man's fancy turns to -- cars.

For the NE, it makes a difference because so many put their cars up for the winter. Come end of March, a few warm days and they'll go out and get it ready for the coming year. A few will say 'screw it, I can't keep doing this' and they'll put it up for sale after a decent cleaning. Or - they'll trade it in for a new shiny bauble, and the trade in will be avail on a car lot.
Haha ok makes sense l but I'm in Southern Cali I don't think spring helps me too much... :/
Old 01-10-2016, 06:52 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...378769345.html

I'm an evil, horrible little man.

muuuuaahahhahhahahhhahhahaaaa!

enjoy your 996, and best of luck.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I did notice was a buckle on the passenger side directly under the seat that looks as though it's for a track seat belt which has me wondering if it has been used as a track car unless I'm missing something and that is supposed to be there.
Ha ha ha ha ha..... I saw that on mine and thought the exact same thing - a crotch strap, right?

It's an official part of the original equipment. Specifically for securing a child safety seat. It's shown in the owner's manual if you are lucky enough to get one. If you notice the wire on it, that defeats the airbag on that side as a safety precaution.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarlOrton
Ha ha ha ha ha..... I saw that on mine and thought the exact same thing - a crotch strap, right?

It's an official part of the original equipment. Specifically for securing a child safety seat. It's shown in the owner's manual if you are lucky enough to get one. If you notice the wire on it, that defeats the airbag on that side as a safety precaution.

Hahaha!!! Ok so that's good news and I know Im not crazy. That one had me real confused. Thanks

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera can someone shed some light?