Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Carrera can someone shed some light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Being from SoCal, you already know we really do not have true winters here so buying now or later really does not apply.
If this car sings to you, buy it if it passes PPI (ask the shop to check for type II overrevs). Best of luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just got the car back after the PPI and they said all looks good except it needs a new clutch and flywheel since it's popping out in 2nd gear... I told the dealer to come down on the price cause the Indy said its a 3k job. What do you guys think? Still go ahead or no?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:21 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"So just got the car back after the PPI and they said all looks good except it needs a new clutch and flywheel since it's popping out in 2nd gear... I told the dealer to come down on the price cause the Indy said its a 3k job. What do you guys think? Still go ahead or no?"

Do a search on "popping out of second gear" and then think about finding another shop... Good luck
Old 01-11-2016, 02:23 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

will dealer come down on price? If yes, GO. If not, NO.

P.S. If/when the clutch is done, IMS upgraded too (your cost of course)?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Popping out of gear doesn't mean needs new clutch and flywheel.

YMMV, items in mirror, contents have settled, and may cause **** leakage.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The clutch has nothing to do with 2nd gear popping out...
If the clutch is slipping in 3ed and 4th when under power then its time for a new clutch. I would make sure what my PPI is saying to me first then go in with some good info.

By the way if it is the standard issue with the common 2nd gear pop out problem then this info should be all you need to fix it yourself:
http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...insurance.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Detent_Pin.htm
Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by joe-1972
The clutch has nothing to do with 2nd gear popping out...
If the clutch is slipping in 3ed and 4th when under power then its time for a new clutch. I would make sure what my PPI is saying to me first then go in with some good info.

By the way if it is the standard issue with the common 2nd gear pop out problem then this info should be all you need to fix it yourself:
http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...insurance.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Detent_Pin.htm
Ok thanks for the info. Yea the shop says the entire everything with the clutch needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't have the workspace to do repairs living here in the city of LA.

Word for word from the Indy :

"Clutch engagement point is high causing 2nd gear to not engage at times. Complete clutch and flywheel will need to be replaced."
Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out sites like Kelly Blue Book.
http://www.kbb.com/porsche/911/2000/...etype=trade-in
Or other sites to see its value.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Engagement point high...?

I think they might be high! LOL!

The clutch system is hydraulic. If it was me I would have the clutch slave bleed at the rear just over the rear wheel... its real pain to get to so a shop with a small lift would be great...

If they take the bait on the price drop and you get the car you want and she get squared away to your liking then go for it!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis "N" SC
You might want to check out sites like Kelly Blue Book.
http://www.kbb.com/porsche/911/2000/...etype=trade-in
Or other sites to see its value.
I did. Out here in LA everything is always stupid and more expensive especially for these cars with reasonable mileage. I found a few that had 120k + miles for around 15k so considering this has had one owner and reasonable mileage at 71k I feel 19 is a fair price. I'll post pics shortly.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy it.....
Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nailedit
Ok thanks for the info. Yea the shop says the entire everything with the clutch needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't have the workspace to do repairs living here in the city of LA.

"Clutch engagement point is high causing 2nd gear to not engage at times. Complete clutch and flywheel will need to be replaced."
hmmmmm. not sure if that is a clutch problem.

The only way to know for sure is to drop the tranny

Don't know who did the PPI, I would be a little wary about that diagnosis. 2nd

There are several great indy's in the LA area
Tony Callas in Torrance. he is not cheap, but one of the best anywhere
HRG in Lake Forrest is a top shop as well
Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Nailedit
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayG
hmmmmm. not sure if that is a clutch problem.

The only way to know for sure is to drop the tranny

Don't know who did the PPI, I would be a little wary about that diagnosis. 2nd

There are several great indy's in the LA area
Tony Callas in Torrance. he is not cheap, but one of the best anywhere
HRG in Lake Forrest is a top shop as well

Euro Tech in Culver City is who did the PPI. I had the dealer wait until today to let me give them my final say. I paid 240.00 for the PPI which I felt was a little high. They are a very reputable shop but I had to ask if they checked the IMS bearing for leakage. The main reason I took it to them is because the said they have a snake camera to thoroughly inspect the outside of it for leakage or residue. When they handed me my final paperwork there was no mention of inspecting it they were more focused on the clutch and I asked if there were any signs that it had been changed or if it was leaking and the guy said let me go ask the mechanic. He came back and said yea its fine its not leaking so I am wondering if it really got checked. This whole thing is really just stressing me out to be honest lol. Also from some of the posts on here about the clutch is concerning since it doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I planned on changing them out anyways as a wear part when the clutch needs fixed, Would just really be awful to have it go considering it is sold "AS IS" and I can afford to replace wear parts and maintain the car but will not be in the shape to purchase a new engine right away after this purchase I saved for lol.
Even a PPI won't remove all of your concerns about the IMS stuff so don't buy it if you will continue to worry about when it will break on you. Alternatively, just go ahead and replace the clutch along with the IMS bearing immediately after you own it ... then drive it like you stole it thereafter!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Dude, what several of us have tried to tell you is this... The transmission popping out of second gear is a well known issue. #1 - It usually has NOTHING to do with the clutch or where it engages. #2 - If the shop who did the PPI a) doesn't know this, and (b) is trying to bang you for a clutch AND a flywheel (AND the commensurate labor), you should find another shop immediately... Once again, Good Luck

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera can someone shed some light?