Remote mounted oil bypass filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:41 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Remote mounted oil bypass filter

Well, being certain that this will bring up shouts of trollism, and being a complete doof, I'm going to question the experts(and everyone else) to see if it's been done, and if not if there's a reason not to add one.

I've had several diesel trucks before, and on one of them I added a remote oil filter which taps off the pressure sender and routes a small volume of oil through a 2-10 micron filter element to remove products of combustion, and other particulates. It was quite helpful on the Ford diesel to extend oil change intervals, and help the truck make 277k miles.

Since the 996 is rather critical about clean oil, and added to that the stock filter(IMNSHO) is a far cry from being suitable, I've been thinking of using one of these to keep the oil clean of small particulates to help stave off mech wear, and particularly anything big enough to damage that you-know-which ball bearing over time.

I'm not a chem eng, nor a mech eng, but I've done a fair amount of work on big and small engines. I'm considering putting this type of filter element on, and see if there's any change. My only concern to adding the kit is where to return the filtered oil. Since we have a factory AOS, I don't want to pump it into the fill cap, and would like to put it back somewhere relatively safe so the windage or aeration isn't made worse. Possibly to one or both of the cam covers.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/bypass.htm#single

I am fully prepared for the attack, ridicule, and belittlement. Do your worst(best?).
Old 01-08-2016, 11:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Why not get the LN filter console with the accu-sump adapter and use that setup to add a 2nd filter?

http://lnengineering.com/catalogsear...r+%2B+accusump
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMNSHO and assuming you're not going to put on a filter with no bypass or a kit that does that.

Let the stock filter do the work and add an external system to filter the oil with it's own lines going in and out of the pan driven off of a electric pump. Or, in our cars case, take this as an opportunity to add a oil cooler and put a filter on that.

There is another IMS oiler thing that takes a line from the top of the engine somewhere, that could also be an option and could from there easily tap a line back into the pan.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:06 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
Why not get the LN filter console with the accu-sump adapter and use that setup to add a 2nd filter?

http://lnengineering.com/catalogsear...r+%2B+accusump
Well, first the LN filter is basically the same particulate size as the Porsche filter AFAIK. I believe it uses a NAPA filter element.

Next, the accu-sump unit isn't really designed to service a remote particulate filter, so I would need the adapter module anyway.

Finally, the whole thing looks like it will cost about $1600, where the Syn werehouse deal is about $240 including low micron filter.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:45 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

My opinion is you are way overthinking this one and adding a level of complexity with great potential for problems that is totally unnecessary. The LN Oil Filter Adapter Plate is just that...an adapter plate that allows you to put any filter on it you want. Doesn't have to be a NAPA filter. There are much better oil filters out there that provide much improved filtration than a stock filter and with no bypass. My opinion, again, get the LN Oil Filter Adapter Plate, add the magnetic drain plug, and change your oil frequently are the very best solutions out there. Adding a deep sump to gain a little bit more volume would be next. My two cents.....
Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

+1
I heard you can also add filtermag to the spinon filter.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:45 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I don't think there is a good understanding of what the bypass filter does.

Also, since all the sacrificial materials in the engine(bearings) are non-ferrous, I really don't see the point of the FilterMag. If you engine is making Ferrous metal - well, hmmmm.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesels can go 277k miles without any bullsh!t add on filter, so ya go for it
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The main issue is the bypass valve of the stock filter canister as Jake explained many times before.

Do you have any info indicating the stock filtration is sub par or it causes engine failures? I've sent used oil for particle count tests and my stock filter seem to perform fine. I can only imagine the spin on filter is even better as you can use filter with lower micron than stock.

Originally Posted by docmirror
I don't think there is a good understanding of what the bypass filter does.

Also, since all the sacrificial materials in the engine(bearings) are non-ferrous, I really don't see the point of the FilterMag. If you engine is making Ferrous metal - well, hmmmm.

Quick Reply: Remote mounted oil bypass filter