996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Litronic vs Halogen (pros and cons)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Litronic vs Halogen (pros and cons)

My '99 C2 needs new headlights. The lenses are burned and attempting to bake one to replace the internal lense resulted in a broken external lense.

Looking around theres plenty of Litronic and Halogen headlights available. Most have missing or cracked rubber trim (not available separately from what I've read). Cleaner Halogen examples are coming into Litronic money territory so the question begs... are Litronics worth it?

I understand on 996.1 they are "plug and play" but I dont have the self leveling function (no biggie). But are they worth the added cost of bulbs down the road? Are they that much brighter/better? Is there a weight penalty?

If anyone has a set of either available for a decent price, feel free to PM me. Still not sure which way i'm going

Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Another option. If you come across a decent set of halogen housings, you could install LED bulbs, and come close to the brightness of HID bulbs. Some of the LED bulbs are designed for reflector housings and designed to replicate a halogen bulb. Some also have a stem configured to produce the cutoff similar to a projector setup. No personal experience, just an idea that might be worth investigating. Good luck with whatever way you go.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
My '99 C2 needs new headlights. The lenses are burned and attempting to bake one to replace the internal lense resulted in a broken external lense.

Looking around theres plenty of Litronic and Halogen headlights available. Most have missing or cracked rubber trim (not available separately from what I've read). Cleaner Halogen examples are coming into Litronic money territory so the question begs... are Litronics worth it?

I understand on 996.1 they are "plug and play" but I dont have the self leveling function (no biggie). But are they worth the added cost of bulbs down the road? Are they that much brighter/better? Is there a weight penalty?

If anyone has a set of either available for a decent price, feel free to PM me. Still not sure which way i'm going
The bulbs for litronics are cheap on amazon. I've been running a set for about a year and I believe it was around $15 a pair. I removed the amber for the turn signal (search amberectomy) as well and I think the litronics make the car look modern and a whole lot better. The weight difference between halogen and litronics is negligible. I did have to replace a ballast, but it was only $50 on ebay for a reman and it's been working fine. I got lucky and snagged a pair off ebay a couple years ago for a crazy steal. If you're patient and lucky you can get them for a good price.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife’s 2010 987.2 boxster has halogens (projector) and my 2004 996.2 C4S and our 2005 955 Cayenne S both have the factory litronics. Our 2008 Audi A4 Avant also has the HID Xenon headlights. My experience on all 3 of the latter cars is that the litronics/HID are far and away the better headlight. Much clearer and brighter. Driving the boxster at night is a noticeable difference, so much so that I’m looking for LED replacements for her halogens. I’ve read that the LED bulbs can be nearly as good as the HID, but there’s a lot of info out there that I have yet to sort out (incl differences in performance in projector vs reflector lens and scary stuff about burning things). If you can afford the factory litronics I think you won’t be disappointed. But if you find you are happy with an LED replacement please post about it!
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM
DGI
Pro

I ended up finding a good deal on some Halogen lights so they are incoming but I will likely try upgrading the bulbs this summer.

Of course, as I'm driving home yesterday, I saw a 986S driving on the other side of the road with Litronics BLAZING!!!!

Maybe i'll upgrade the headlights (again) this summer LOL
Old 03-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Lol!!! Sounds like your plan is to do everything twice on this car!!! :-P
Old 03-21-2019, 06:14 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Lol!!! Sounds like your plan is to do everything twice on this car!!! :-P
at the very least LOL
Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Try Sylvania Silver Star halogen bulbs. I found them to be a big improvement over standard halogen bulbs.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

For the money, there are some great LED bulbs on the market now. They’ve come a long way in a couple of years and work much better in halogen reflectors. I have some Hikari on my Land Crusier fogs and high beams that are great, but I am probably going to try the Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0 on my 996 this year.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Try Sylvania Silver Star halogen bulbs. I found them to be a big improvement over standard halogen bulbs.
I used Silver Star and they are significantly better than standard OEM (in my Ridgeline), however their lifespan is VERY limited. Fine if you don't drive your car much, but on a daily driver, I have yet to get more than 12 months out of a bulb over about a 5 yr period, and yes, I stubbornly stuck with replacing with same Silver Stars bulbs, but have given up finally this year.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
still far inferior to good functioning factory litronics.
in my experience the Silver Star were a marginal improvement. YMMV

Quick Reply: Litronic vs Halogen (pros and cons)