Sponsored by:

Enthusiast owners vs your average joe

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:23 PM
varsorama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enthusiast owners vs your average joe

Wishing a Merry Christmas to all! Hope everyone is enjoying time with family and their vehicles Enjoying nice weather here in Chicago, was 60 degrees yesterday!

I recently was going to purchase a e36 BMW M3 to add to my stable from a buddy but decided it wasn't for me. No maintenance records and a Christmas tree display on the instrument cluster!! On my way home, I realized how much I appreciate Porsche as a brand and how they have been an influence in my life. After I was born, I was riding home in my dads 86 944 and have helped him work on all his Porsche's once I got older.

However, the main reason I am writing this is to express my dissapointment when a Porsche falls into the hands of a non enthusiast or a boy racer. Unfortunately, I have to use BMW as an example lol, as 95% of e36 cars I see in my area are abused. While many of you are enthusiasts and dilligent in taking care of your vehicles, I find it disheartening to see so many vehicles neglected these days. Whether it be stickers/vinyl graphics all over cars, ragged out interiors, etc, I have to ask myself what the person is thinking!
When I see a teenager in a older pimped out Boxster with rips in the top and a fart can, it makes me sick. Do these people buy vehicles as a status symbol???

Even though my favorite makes are Porsche and BMW, there are so many people out there that simply do not deserve to have these cars. This may get some heat but I think Porsche owners care for their vehicles far more than BMW owners. Obviously some of you on here own a Bimmer, so you're exempt!

That's my Christmas Eve Rant! Time to cook now
Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

First of all, you have to remember that most Americans treat their cars exactly like they do their appliances. (Do you think even 2% of refrigerator owners replace the air filter and the water filter in them?).

I remember reading an article in Car and Driver many years ago in which the editor was remarking on how even a famous NASCAR driver never maintained his own (I think) Monte Carlo. The comment was the driver only started to pay attention at about 30,000 miles when the "oil light took a long time to go out in the morning".
Old 12-24-2015, 04:59 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of us have seen what people do to their bodies. Not at all surprised what some do to their cars.
P.S. who am I to judge what/how people spend their money?
Old 12-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait there's a air filter in my refrigerator ?
Old 12-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My theory is that these are a little more expensive to get into and either (at least with a 911) you're getting something aircooled and worth a lot or watercooled where the engine is worth a lot. Either way it's in our best interest as owners to keep them up, since if we didn't and the engine went out (due to our own fault) the resale value would be only as a roller.

That said I really don't care what others do with their money.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:17 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The world is full of different people. They probably wonder why you spend so much time taking care of your cars while they're outdoing something like mountain climbing, chasing women or gardening. don't let it bug you - nothing you can do about it anyway. The longer I've lived the more I've realized that I'm the only one who sees things my way... and the world is a better place because of it.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

anyone who can afford one deserves it. Its a car, a mass produced one no less, who cares if some teenager does what they like to it.

its just a silly car, no need to get emotional about it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 PM
varsorama
Instructor

Love reading the responses I guess it's whatever makes people happy!
Though these are usually the people that change oil every 15k. I guess I was just taught to take care of my things. And here I am washing my cars in December with optimum no rinse and applying gummi phlege to the weatherstripping lol
Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 PM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
anyone who can afford one deserves it. Its a car, a mass produced one no less, who cares if some teenager does what they like to it.

its just a silly car, no need to get emotional about it.
Well, I suppose......but a well turned out P-car or other 'enthusiast' marque I've always maintained is a form of philanthropy; as so few things are done well, it brings comfort and satisfaction to the hoi polloi. At least, it should!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 PM
kromdom
Drifting

This guy (and many like him) do not deserve their bodies...because of what they have chosen to do to their own bodies. Heck, they do not deserve to be alive. Free will. Freedom of choice. Do not judge a book by its cover.

Happy Holidays all.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:51 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
This guy (and many like him) do not deserve their bodies...because of what they have chosen to do to their own bodies. Heck, they do not deserve to be alive. Free will. Freedom of choice. Do not judge a book by its cover.

Happy Holidays all.
He looks kinda festive, like a Christmas Tree
Old 12-24-2015, 06:07 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgmark
He looks kinda festive, like a Christmas Tree
to make it very clear....was being sarcastic in my post
Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Meh. I paid the money for it to have for myself (958 anyway, the 996 is her business). I'll take care of it or not as I see fit and it's no one else's business other than my wife.

If you aren't looking to buy a given car, what's it matter how the owner treats/modifies it? If you are buying, simply make an appropriate offer or move on to the next.

Life's too short to get bent out of shape about things that you can neither control nor that have any real bearing on your life.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:51 PM
varsorama
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat
Meh. I paid the money for it to have for myself (958 anyway, the 996 is her business). I'll take care of it or not as I see fit and it's no one else's business other than my wife.

If you aren't looking to buy a given car, what's it matter how the owner treats/modifies it? If you are buying, simply make an appropriate offer or move on to the next.

Life's too short to get bent out of shape about things that you can neither control nor that have any real bearing on your life.

Well said sir. Still don't know how all of you have wives that love Porsche's. Those are a rare breed to find. Did they appreciate fine automobiles while you were dating or did you pass the obsession to them?
Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by varsorama
Well said sir. Still don't know how all of you have wives that love Porsche's. Those are a rare breed to find. Did they appreciate fine automobiles while you were dating or did you pass the obsession to them?
Actually it was the other way around. She grew up with the 911 as her dream car and I was lucky enough to be able to let her order one, though getting married was a condition

Until I came across my XK8 about the same time cars were just transportation to me.

She also has done the majority of oil changes between us

Quick Reply: Enthusiast owners vs your average joe