Sponsored by:

996 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 as a daily driver

So we've owned our '03 996 C4 cab (6 speed) for about 10 months. In that time, I've only put about 4000 miles on it. It now has only 35k miles on it.

My daily driver has been an SUV on which I've put almost 8k miles in the same time. It has been troubling me that I don't drive the 996 more than I do. Here in rainy Seattle (8 months of the year), I just don't take the 996 out when it's raining. Although I've been caught out in the rain from time to time and there is not a drop of water getting into the car.

So I've been thinking about selling the SUV and driving the 996 as the daily driver. We have a third (brand new) car a BMW sedan which I can use just about any day - after about 11:30 AM (when my wife returns from her daily shopping trip).

I regularly transport two granddaughters - usually about once/twice/week. They fit fine in the 996.

What do you think? My only concern is whether the 996 will require quite a bit more attention than our other cars if used as daily transportation.

So far the car has not stranded me - although it has required more expensive routine service than either of the other cars.

I keep thinking - "why have the car if it's not used daily?"
Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 12000 miles on my 01 C2 this past season (7 months or so) and it makes a great daily driver. However, in stop and go traffic and city driving it is also very hard on the clutch and I'm looking at a lifespan of around 2 seasons per clutch (my own experence plus a google search). Granted I am a little hard on it at times, and take advantage of winding it up and dumping it in gear, so maybe a more sane person driving it would get a little longer lifespan, but either way it's a wear item.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I drove my '99 coupe as a daily and did it year round. It was great in all kinds of weather except when we had a big snow storm (10 inches). Maintenance really was not any worse than on many other vehicles I've had.
That being said, with my current car, I don't drive it in bad weather. I have twice as much money tied up in it and it is (relatively) low mileage at 50,000. I didn't care about mileage on my '99 as it had 148,000 miles on the odometer when I sold it (although only about half that on the engine).
Someday I might daily drive the turbo, but right now I just have one set of tires (summer), so to drive it year round I'd need to buy a set of winter wheels & tires. My '99 did just fine year round on all-season tires, but I just don't feel comfortable putting all-season tires on the turbo (and I'm not sure if they even make all-seasons for the rears on it).
Bottom line - I think you'd be fine driving it daily.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '04 C2 cab has done 45,000 km (now at 91k km) since I bought it at the end of March this year. Just had the 6th service done. Waaaaaay more fun than any econobox. Have been as far north as Fort St John, BC and as far south as LA to date. Rain? No prob, especially with a hardtop. Snow? This car is a blast in the white stuff. Sun? Drop the top and crank the tunes regardless of temp outside.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

These were made to be dailies.

I've been DDing hers for a few weeks now cause I'm too lazy to move our son's seat out of the P!g and back into the BMW. Probably put more miles on it in the last couple of months than the last year. I do miss my P!g though, I love that beastie

Earlier in it's life (first 5 years or so) she used it as a DD which included almost daily 80 mile round trips. I think that is a big reason that we have had so few issues with it throughout it's life.

It has always lived outside and been driven year round and the rain and snow have yet to cause it to melt

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
My only concern is whether the 996 will require quite a bit more attention than our other cars if used as daily transportation.
These cars like to be driven. I suspect you'll see an uptick in repairs due to stuff being used to not being used, but once you get past that hump it should get down to fluids and rubber for the most part.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the coil packs and you will be fine. Some people will experience the misfire when older coil packs get wet. With new coils you will be golden. 996 is normal car, it can take snow and cold just fine. Drive it hard, drive it often, and it will be fine.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:42 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

I think you'd be much off with a 966 for a dd.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:55 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
So we've owned our '03 996 C4 cab (6 speed) for about 10 months. In that time, I've only put about 4000 miles on it. It now has only 35k miles on it.

My daily driver has been an SUV on which I've put almost 8k miles in the same time. It has been troubling me that I don't drive the 996 more than I do. Here in rainy Seattle (8 months of the year), I just don't take the 996 out when it's raining. Although I've been caught out in the rain from time to time and there is not a drop of water getting into the car.

So I've been thinking about selling the SUV and driving the 996 as the daily driver. We have a third (brand new) car a BMW sedan which I can use just about any day - after about 11:30 AM (when my wife returns from her daily shopping trip).

I regularly transport two granddaughters - usually about once/twice/week. They fit fine in the 996.

What do you think? My only concern is whether the 996 will require quite a bit more attention than our other cars if used as daily transportation.

So far the car has not stranded me - although it has required more expensive routine service than either of the other cars.

I keep thinking - "why have the car if it's not used daily?"

My former 996 was a DD and I never gave it a thought to do otherwise. These cars were not produced to be sitting in garages. If they could grin, they'll be sulking in the garage and grinning on the road. Go for it. Make it your DD and enjoy it for what it is ... a magnificent sports car.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

My 1999 C2 became my daily driver this past spring and it's been great. Just turned 76,000 miles on it and other than switching to snow tires for the MN winter have done nothing to it.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:12 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
These were made to be dailies. I've been DDing hers for a few weeks now cause I'm too lazy to move our son's seat out.
Better ask Santa for another seat!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I just bought a 1981 SC that I plan to DD. My mechanic said it'll easily blow past 300,000 miles.

The car has 125,000 on the 3.0 flat six and the leak down showed 4 cylinders at 2% and 2 cylinders at 3%. Essentially as good as new!!

Your 996 will have a lot more in the way of comfort features, but your tires are likely a lot more. I had a 997 and it went through tires faster than I go through socks! And the tires were not as cheap as socks!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 PM
kreeone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used my C4S as a DD since I got it in April and I probably spent less or as much on regular maintenance when I had my E55. Granted I've only done an oil change since I've only logged 5k in 8 months - plugs and coils are next though.

Chicago has been lucky that we have not seen much snow this year and I'm planning on driving it as long as weather permits.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:14 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

'Nuther vote for DD. You should have seen how much crap I was able to load into it for the pre-Thanksgiving Costco run!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Joe Ricard
Pro

My wife DD's our 2001 C4. She could drive my E36 M3 or 07 Cooper s, Focus but nope she grabs the keys to the Porsche. It truly is a wonderful car.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on your budget, and this is why:

1. If your commute is stop and go, your clutch will wear much faster (this is a 2k-3k labor)
2. Your tires will wear faster and they are not cheap.
3. More maintenance
4. Not the best fuel economy, around 18 mpg but gas is cheap right now.

If you work on your cars, then cost will go down by a lot. I do work on my 99 and I drive my it daily, putting around 12k / year...

Quick Reply: 996 as a daily driver