Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Android tablet install ('99 996)

Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 AM
bravohotel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android tablet install ('99 996)

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster. Thought some might like to see the details of my Android tablet install. I realize that this might not be everyones cup of tea, but my car is my DD and I got tired of fumbling with my phone for navigation, podcasts, etc. Background: I’ve owned the car for about a year and half. A previous-previous owner had already done some hacking on the stereo surround for a double-din stereo. The guy I purchased from removed the double-din, installed a single-din Pioneer Bluetooth head unit and moved the CC back up top along with a jinky cubby box. But due to the prior hacking, the CC fit never was tight and the cubby flopped around. Needless to say, this was a constant source of annoyance. I had been lately thinking through solutions from all angles. Well, last week while shopping new cell phones at Costco, happened to catch the last day of an ATT promotion…with the purchase of additional MB’s on our monthly data plan (which we needed anyway), we got a free 7” Asus Android tablet (4G/LTE). Decsion made. As you will see, a 7” tablet is the perfect size for something like this.

- To make room, I had to move the CC unit back downstairs (no problem).
- Additional minor trimming of the center skeleton was required (sorry no pics of the construction).
- Power is supplied by a 3A usb charging port powered by an “add a fuse” pigtail to a switched circuit in the fusebox. (no wire hacking required…totally reversible)
- Audio to the head unit uses the headphone jack of the tablet to aux input on the front of the head unit. This is the only part of the install that didn’t turn out as “clean” as I would have hoped…you can see the little loop of aux cable on the head unit…if only there was an aux input on the BACK of the unit. Oh well.
- I got lucky with the location of the micro USB and headphone jacks on the tablet. As you can see in the pictures, the cords exit between the wire bundles on the horseshoe side panels.
- Installed the Tasker android app: When powered (car on), screen always on and mobile data, GPS, and WiFi on. When not powered (car off), screen turns off after 15sec and mobile data, GPS and WiFi turn off. Even though the tablet is not truly “off” when the car is turned off, it only loses between 1-2% overnight. When driving and using only Pandora, it will slowly recharge around 2%/hour. However, using both Pandora and Waze or Google maps, it appears to eat more battery than the charger can replenish…about 2% to the negative/hour. Since I use the mapping programs only sporadically, this has not been a problem.
- In a nutshell, I have my music/podcasts/navigation hard-wired at my fingertips…and hands-free phone functions handled by the Bluetooth of the head unit.
- The new bezel/surround was drawn up by my father on his CAD program and then cut on his CNC laser machine. This “prototype” bezel is a two-piece affair made from a ½’ acrylic base with a textured ABS veneer. It is an “interference” fit with no fasteners needed.
- For the minimal $$ outlay, I am very pleased.
Attached Images         
Old 12-10-2015, 01:39 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice job! Bravo Zulu and Sierra Hotel to you!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Excellent work!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 AM
scott240
Advanced

No kidding! That looks great!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM
bravohotel
Track Day

Thanks for the positive words. Not sure there are enough early 996 guys that this would appeal to....but with enough interest, my father would be would willing to gin-up a production run of the bezels. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the cheapest way to get a data plan for something like this?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
chamilun
Instructor

I'd get a single din that is a bit cleaner/flatter if you will vs that pioneer

Nice job!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 PM
bravohotel
Track Day

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
What's the cheapest way to get a data plan for something like this?
We added it to our family plan...it just shares data out of our 15mb monthly allotment. Due to the promotion we got the tablet "free" (+ sales tax) and had to pay a line activation charge ($45).
Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Thanks Bravo, looks great. Any thoughts on dashcam ?

Last edited by phil996cab99; 12-10-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM
bravohotel
Track Day

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
?...Any thoughts on dashcam ?
Meh, not of much interest to me.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:12 PM
scott240
Advanced

Originally Posted by bravohotel
We added it to our family plan...it just shares data out of our 15mb monthly allotment. Due to the promotion we got the tablet "free" (+ sales tax) and had to pay a line activation charge ($45).
I really hope you meant to say GB
Old 12-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Nah, he's in Mississippi. They don't use much data there.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:47 PM
bravohotel
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Nah, he's in Mississippi. They don't use much data there.
I guess I never updated my profile (until now)....back in WA state now. Much data used with a 12yo who constantly watches Minecraft videos on YouTube while in the car...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Android tablet install ('99 996)