Sponsored by:

Flat 6 Innovations

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 PM
ajsimpson99
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Flat 6 Innovations

I'm not a regular here and I think I may have posted this in another area by mistake.

Hi guys, I'm not a regular on this forum but rather a lurker. I just thought I'd share my engine performance upgrade that I just got back from Jake Rabey's place, Flat 6 Innovations. I'm sure that most of you know of or have heard of Jake already. Over the past year and a half or so, I've had the opportunity to attend a few of Jakes classes which were awesome and boy did I learn a lot about my 1999 996. Long story short I ended up taking my 3.4 down to Jake, stood in line and after the year long scheduled wait time my car was delivered back home to me safe and sound yesterday. I promptly put it in the garage and today I had the pleasure of driving my brand new Stage II, 3.8 liter, IMS Solution, fire breathing Carrera C2. All I can say is wow! The car is no longer like anything I remembered it being. Granted I'm still in the break-in stage but man, I can't wipe the smile from my face. The car is making more power with less revs all over the power band. The thing that's making me excited is knowing that the engine will perform much better in the future after everything wears in. My experience with Flat 6 Innovations say's that anyone fortunate enough to have their engine reconstructed by these guys are going to be happy campers.
A.J.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

AJ,
Thanks for the kind words. You were also great to work with, and we all enjoyed having you attend the classes.

I love your early 99!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I really want to go the same route as you with my 99. Love the car but a wee bit more get up and go would be perfect I think. Keep us posted as it breaks in!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:32 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Double post

Last edited by 911 carrera blue; 11-05-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajsimpson99
I'm not a regular here and I think I may have posted this in another area by mistake.
Hi guys, I'm not a regular on this forum but rather a lurker. I just thought I'd share my engine performance upgrade that I just got back from Jake Rabey's place.
Who's Jake Rabey??
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 PM
501Max
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 44 Posts

Big Congrats AJ- I saw your engine pics and it must have been awesome to start that thing up!

We dropped my car at Flat Six Innovation this week. It was our true pleasure to meet Jake and his team. FSI made us feel at home with their warm welcome, hospitality, and conversation. I left knowing my machine will be back up on its' feet with their incredible skills.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the wait time really a year?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 501Max
Big Congrats AJ- I saw your engine pics and it must have been awesome to start that thing up!

We dropped my car at Flat Six Innovation this week. It was our true pleasure to meet Jake and his team. FSI made us feel at home with their warm welcome, hospitality, and conversation. I left knowing my machine will be back up on its' feet with their incredible skills.
Randy,
AJ's 996 was the blue one sitting out front where we unloaded your beast.. It shipped on Wesnesday and he received it last night :-)

Yes, we maintain a 1 year backlog, we have since 2012, before that it was pretty much 8-9 months.

We started AJs build process the first week of December 2014. He came to attend my class last December, and after seeing what we do, and how it's done, he just had to have one, so he signed up on the last day of the class. No, I will NOT work to speed this process up. You can rush failure as much as you want, but you can't rush success.

Actual time in assembly is 4 months, the rest of the time is spent hurrying up to wait. While waiting I do all the design work, and we work to manufacture all the critical components.

I added about 53HP to AJs engine, I did that with 100% stock intake, exhaust and ECU tune.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 PM
ajsimpson99
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake, we've been in each others company and by that I think you know that I'm a straight shooter. Just telling it like it is.

501Max: Thanks, the pics did look good but, to be perfectly honest I'm not so sure that I was is such awe when I saw them. I only say that because I'd already attended three of Jakes classes and had participated in one engine build at his shop so, I knew exactly what I had signed up for. Not to diminish in any way the pics or what was done to my engine but, I'll tell you one of the things I found to be awesome, it was attending Jakes (I think first reconstruction) class. I know that Jake has had to have had several such classes since then and he may know differently but, the knowledge base of the people that attended that particular class was for nominal and a truly nice group of guys. That's the type of company that I like to keep and really felt privileged as an enthusiast to be able to participate amongst a group of that caliber.

Andrewck: The wait time is really a year. It doesn't take them a year to reconstruct your engine but they have a board filled with peoples cars that are in front of you so everyone has to wait their turn. The other thing of note is, you don't have 50 million people putting their hands on your engine, it's one person from start to finish so attention to detail is paramount. Having been through the process and now that I've actually got my car back I can now look back and say this. As hard of a pill as that wait time may be to swallow it's really the easy part. The hard part is making the decision and then committing to do it.
A.J.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Aw jeez, you guys, get a room.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

KC....I know it sounds crazy but when you get in the car and it snaps your head back and you feel the torque take over its a happy ending. I'm sure it doesn't compare to the TT but dang it's close. The other day I was pulling 145 and I was put in my seat the whole time.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

On the track Sneaky Pete?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
On the track Sneaky Pete?
Not on the track.....it happened on a desolate highway. I scolded myself afterwards
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Not on the track.....it happened on a desolate highway. I scolded myself afterwards
Pete always drives in full race gear, helmet, gloves, transponder, communicator, nomex fire suit, etc... His motto is "be prepared."
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I was pulling 145 and I was put in my seat the whole time
And at that, he still had a gear left...

Quick Reply: Flat 6 Innovations