Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Guage Cluster / Oil Level Meter question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM
JayAre
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guage Cluster / Oil Level Meter question.

The clock / oil level portion on my gauge cluster does not work. I'm assuming I will have to replace my whole cluster to fix this. Or is there a way to fix it without a replacement?

Also, if I do replace my gauge cluster, will the new / used one display the correct odometer reading for my car? I'm assuming the DME holds that info.

I'm making a lot of assumptions. That I why I am asking questions here.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JayAre
The clock / oil level portion on my gauge cluster does not work. I'm assuming I will have to replace my whole cluster to fix this. Or is there a way to fix it without a replacement?

Also, if I do replace my gauge cluster, will the new / used one display the correct odometer reading for my car? I'm assuming the DME holds that info.

I'm making a lot of assumptions. That I why I am asking questions here.

Thanks!
The gage cluster may be repairable. You can contact VDO Repair (www.vdorepair.com) and speak to someone there about this. The VDO repair facility that deals with among other brands Porsche gage clusters is in Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Depending upon where you live, there can be other shops maybe closer to you that can advise you as well regarding the chances your car's gage cluster can be repaired.

My info is info can be transferred from one gage cluster to another so that everything that is unique to your car can be written to the new gage cluster.

But the person you talk to at VDO Repair or at another shop will be the final authority on this.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
JayAre
Track Day

Thanks macster. I'll check to see if there's someone around my region who works on VDO's.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a guy on 986forum.com called qmulus that does cluster repair and can reprogram a replacement for the correct mileage
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
JayAre
Track Day

I found these guys as well. Waiting to get a quote back from them. Has anyone here used this shop? They're located in Richmond, VA.

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/
Old 10-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Thanks macster. I'll check to see if there's someone around my region who works on VDO's.
Just so it is clear the name of the facility is VDO Repair. However, I did not mean to imply the gages were VDO brand. I have no idea what brand they are only that VDO Repair advertises it repairs Porsche gages/instrument clusters.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Why not just replace the light bulb behind the LCD? A simple $5 fix. I recently changed the bulbs on all 3 of my gauges LCDs.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:16 PM
JayAre
Track Day

I was wondering if there was a light bulb behind the LCD. The screen still works, I can see the clock when I put a flash light up to it. I shall begin my search for a blub. Thanks islaTurbine.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The gage cluster may be repairable. You can contact VDO Repair (www.vdorepair.com) and speak to someone there about this. The VDO repair facility that deals with among other brands Porsche gage clusters is in Lake Havasu City, AZ.
I had no idea this was the case---and, I live in Lake Havasu City!
Nice to know, in case my gauges ever take a ****.
FYI: California Motorsports, who does a lot of work with Porsche transmission rebuilds, is based here as well.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

I was wondering if there was a light bulb behind the LCD. The screen still works, I can see the clock when I put a flash light up to it. I shall begin my search for a blub. Thanks islaTurbine.
Just went through the pics of my Boxster's gage cluster and I see no bulbs. However I wasn't focused on those but on the circuit board and the array of LEDs and the pics do not cover the entire gage cluster apart and from all angles.

But certainly if there are any bulbs replacing any that are burned out would be a good idea, a very good idea.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Just went through the pics of my Boxster's gage cluster and I see no bulbs. However I wasn't focused on those but on the circuit board and the array of LEDs and the pics do not cover the entire gage cluster apart and from all angles.

But certainly if there are any bulbs replacing any that are burned out would be a good idea, a very good idea.
Howdy Macster. There is one bulb for each LCD. They have a tan plastic base. The part number is 999-631-303-90. They are 1.5W bulbs integrated into the tan plastic base.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 PM
mikble911
3rd Gear

Default Gauge Cluster Repair

Originally Posted by JayG
there is a guy on 986forum.com called qmulus that does cluster repair and can reprogram a replacement for the correct mileage
I recently sent my gauge cluster to Qmulus (Steve) for repair and I couldn't be more pleased! The repair was done right, returned very promptly (the day after he received it!) and at a fraction of the cost that the dealership wanted me to pay for a new cluster. I highly recommend Steve to anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Howdy Macster. There is one bulb for each LCD. They have a tan plastic base. The part number is 999-631-303-90. They are 1.5W bulbs integrated into the tan plastic base.
Thanks for posting your first hand experience. This is what this forum needs, not some long winded Master post that steers the reader in the wrong direction.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:34 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikble911
I recently sent my gauge cluster to Qmulus (Steve) for repair and I couldn't be more pleased! The repair was done right, returned very promptly (the day after he received it!) and at a fraction of the cost that the dealership wanted me to pay for a new cluster. I highly recommend Steve to anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation!
Please PM me Qmulus Steves contact info.
Great 1st post in this forum
Old 08-05-2016, 12:54 AM
JayAre
Track Day

To follow up on my post. It was simply a burnt out bulb behind the oil level/clock screen. Bought a couple extra bulbs Incase others go up. It's easy to get to as well. Just remove the gauge cluster.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Guage Cluster / Oil Level Meter question.