Sponsored by:

Cam Locking tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:32 AM
FR10KER
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Locking tool

Having discovered a intermittent tapping / sound from the RHS of the engine, I am planning to investigate, as it isn't there all the time I am going for a swap out of the tensioner under the AC unit. It sounds like a chain sort of sound to me, so I am suspicious of the chain ramps and the tensioner.

When I remove / swap out the tensioner, if I discover it's not the issue I will want to dig deeper, in which case I need to remove the cam cover, this leads me to my question does anyone have a diagram for the cam locking tool? I would like to have this made in case I have to proceed to dig into the engine rather than making it up on the fly...

I have done a search!

Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Pcargo
Advanced

Here you go:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ools/P-253.jpg
Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM
FR10KER
Track Day

Default diagram

Thanks for the picture but I'm after a diagram for the cam locking tool, so I can be a cheapskate and make one up rather than buy one...
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

If you want to make your own, you'll need to pull the screen plugs from the heads/ cam covers and start milling away on a piece of 3/8" steel. If you value your time at all, its cheaper to buy one.

Seldom will tensioners make any noise, except at start up. Sounds that are perfectly interrupted are seldom chain/ ramp related.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Pcargo
Advanced

Originally Posted by FR10KER
Thanks for the picture but I'm after a diagram for the cam locking tool, so I can be a cheapskate and make one up rather than buy one...
Sorry misread your post, changing the chain tensioner to the updated one won't make it go away. The reason I know is I did it, it was a big pain in the you what to do it and still the noise came back after a day. Making the tool is a big pain too you have to have the skills and tools to make it, I bought the pelican one when I had reseal the cam cover. JR says that there is a kit coming out soon that will solve this problem.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM
FR10KER
Track Day

Default Tensioner

Understood, I will procure the cam tool.

"Seldom will tensioners make any noise, except at start up. Sounds that are perfectly interrupted are seldom chain/ ramp related."

When you say perfectly interrupted what do you mean?

The noise I get comes in slowly then sits tapping, if any revs are applied after a second or two the noise will go. Some times the noise will go on it's own then come back.

When the ticking is present the idle seems slightly rough and you can see a slight variation in the tacho.

When started it can't be heard, but the car is running more rpm so it would be difficult to hear when it goes to low idle its usually fine for a while before the tapping can be heard.

Does that explain the sound better?

I don't want to drive it much as I feel I need to at least understand what's happening.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

any abnormal oil consumption?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
FR10KER
Track Day

Oil consumption = Normal as far as I can tell only had the car a short while

Neither tailpipe is sooty

Engine pulls with no determinable difference

Idle oil pressure is about 1.5 (From memory) certainly no lower than 1.5

No oil leaks

No smokey starts

Runs clean

>?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:35 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the lack of all those other symptoms is a very good thing but I'd boroscope it anyways.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Remember, you can't see the area below the pistons at BDC with a bore scope through the spark plug hole.... Guess where the problems start?

You can pull the sump plate, and inspect from there, with the pistons at TDC. A good bore scope test involves inspection from both points of view. This is how most failing cylinders are missed.

Quick Reply: Cam Locking tool