Sponsored by:

Factory sports exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Stewart Lund
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory sports exhaust

I'm thinking of changing my exhaust at some point but I'd like to keep the car original as far as possible. Was there a factory sports exhaust option when the car was new? If so, is it worth having?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes. Yes if you want to keep it OEM as you stated.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:33 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not an exhaust expert, I'm sure they will chime in, but here's my personal opinion after doing a good bit of exhaust research. Porsche is very very good at designing exhaust systems. Apparently the exhaust is high quality and maxes out potential. Removing the cats (don't do it), "upgrading" to 200 cell cats (not necessary, not worth it). Most of the high quality aftermarket systems do have a very nice sound, so that seems to be the main benefit. I don't know about the sport exhaust option, but if it's the X50? exhaust, I think it has a different sound people seem to enjoy.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:38 PM
thin_concrete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - I have the PSE on my 2003 4S and love it. It does have an "on/off" baffle so I'm sure that impacts the install time, but I'm not sure how much. There are threads here that discuss installation, so a search may be useful to you.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory sports exhaust (PSE) is simply for sound and not for performance. Similar sound results can be achieved using the Gundo hack/Fister mod - see http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-996/ but it is always on whereas the PSE has a switch.
Pelican seem to have a PSE for a little of $4500 http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...96_pg2.htm#buy
Installation is quoted in the shop manual as 750 time units, which is 7.5 hours.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

My car also came with PSE (OEM sport exhaust option). It has an on/off switch that powers a solenoid which opens a valve on the muffler that creates a partial muffler bypass. It creates a little louder and deeper sound than stock. A very nice option. Probably prohibitively expensive to add after the fact though.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

PSE with 200 cell cats = wicked howl at higher rpm and no drone. Trust me on this.

PSE alone is still quite nice, small bit of burble
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

There are some factory PSE systems on eBay from time to time far below the $4500 retail price of a new system. It all depends if op wants to stick strictly to factory options or not.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 PM
dvs3.6
Advanced

I too have the PSE with switch...its purely a sound thing and minimal at that. For the cost i would def. Go after market.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Originally Posted by Hardback
PSE with 200 cell cats = wicked howl at higher rpm and no drone. Trust me on this.

+1 that burble is just right when you drive with the top down
Old 08-14-2015, 03:24 AM
cerex
Racer

Originally Posted by Hardback

+ another 1

I have the Porsche PSE system installed with fabspeed 200 cel x-pipe cels the sound is amazing. OEM cats crashed on driver side aftermarket much better value and sound/flow capacity.

I had the PSE installed with the on/off switch after I got the car a few years ago. Let me warn you now it is a long complicated process and much more involved then most think.

Aside from the installs of the mufflers, compressor in your engine bay to generate a vacuum you have take apart half your interior (seats, door panel, carpet, rear seats/console, firewall, insulation etc to run the wiring). There is also quite a bit of work to wire up the relay and dashboard on/off switch. Lots of variation between the different years 2002/2003 and various PSE installation diagrams out there this was a challenge.

Having been through it I sure as hell enjoy it. But really don't recommend the install to anyone it will cost more then you think and last longer then you plan. Does it sound amazing yes. Being able to go loud to quite one of my fav features.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by cerex
Let me warn you now it is a long complicated process and much more involved then most think.
I beg to differ on this as I've installed 3 of them. If sticking to 100% factory install with OEM harness, it could be a bit time consuming but not difficult at all. Otherwise if wired up aftermarket way, it can be done between 1-2 hours depending on how you want to route the wiring.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM
cerex
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
I beg to differ on this as I've installed 3 of them. If sticking to 100% factory install with OEM harness, it could be a bit time consuming but not difficult at all. Otherwise if wired up aftermarket way, it can be done between 1-2 hours depending on how you want to route the wiring.
Strictly OEM 100% original factory spec. Wouldn't have it any other way! 1-2 hours for proper wiring and relay install for after market maybe don't know. Sorry just lived this 4-5 hours of work to at best for careful clean work for install and test of all wiring to factory spec. Provided and that's provided the relay matches up your cars year. I wound up buying the kit from Porsche 2x as there is a wiring difference 02 and 03+ models and Porsche didn't seem to know bought based on VIN look up, wound up re wiring my relay manually
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Default Factory sports exhaust

The factory PSE exhaust is probably great, but I'd never drop that sort of cash on a system just so I can flip a switch to turn it on/off.

The Fister exhaust is a steal, and the sound is symphonic. Spend the other $3000+ on a new suspension system and enjoy the sound and a better ride at the same time.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 PM
cerex
Racer

Originally Posted by Wickedgood911
The factory PSE exhaust is probably great, but I'd never drop that sort of cash on a system just so I can flip a switch to turn it on/off.

The Fister exhaust is a steal, and the sound is symphonic. Spend the other $3000+ on a new suspension system and enjoy the sound and a better ride at the same time.
My total cost for the factory PSE

$675 - preowned in like new condition on eBay (original owner convereted to track car with some hashi tashi exhaust never asked)
$275 - wiring kit (included relay) eBay
$200 - second relay Porsche dealer
$80 - new clamps Porsche dealer
$450 - Indy for installation of exhaust

My time for some of the wiring troubleshooting relay rewire

All in wasn't expensive again worth every penny

Quick Reply: Factory sports exhaust