Sponsored by:

Abs/Psm

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:31 PM
ace17
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Abs/Psm

Looking at purchasing s 2000 996 on eBay. The owner is stating the earning lights are on due to abs/Psm unit is bad. Is this a legit problem. Any idea of cost on fixing this? Main question: is the car drivable in this state?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, you will definitely want (NEED) to get a pre-purchase inspection. That should tell you if the computer is bad or if it is a cheap and easy fix like a brake switch or MAF gone bad (both normal causes of ABS/PSM warning lights). And yes, you can drive it like that - you just won't have ABS or PSM.
EDIT: Could also just be a bad wheel speed sensor.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:49 AM
ace17
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The car is located in a little town in Michigan. No dealers or reputable guys near by. The auction ends Monday. So I am unfortunately buying sight unseen. The price will be right so I will roll the dice. Just gotta get it from Michigan to Dallas Texas.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeah, I see the one you are talking about now. I think you will be fine driving it home. I would bet dimes to dollars that it just has either a bad MAF, a bad brake switch or a bad wheel speed sensor. If you get the car, I would buy a brake switch and a MAF and take them with me when I picked it up. Then, pull over at the first spot you find after leaving the seller's place and swap the MAF in first and see if that does it. If not, swap the old MAF back in (and return the MAF for a refund) and try the brake switch.
If it isn't a wheel speed sensor then you'll have a bigger repair bill, but it sounds like you can get into that car at a price point where you'll still come out OK.

Quick Reply: Abs/Psm