Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is this sensor please? Also rear rotor question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 PM
VIN 303636
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sensor please? Also rear rotor question.

What ever this is, it has a slight seal leak and I am in the mood to fix it.

My rear rotors need replacement. May as well get new pads too. Looking for suggestions. 2000 C2...Daily driver/open track racing. Front rotors are new Mylie

I'm also curious about the rear brake pad 'anti-squeal' dampeners. Remove/replace or return to service? They seem to be rather expensive.

Appreciate your input...303636
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cant help you with the sensor, but I reused the dampers when I did the rear brakes. No problems in the year that I drove the car after the brake job.
If I have been more on the ball, I would have had new dampers in hand when I did the brakes.
The rotor/pad kit I ordered did not come with new dampers, and I did not want to order and wait for new dampers to arrive.
So I decided to install the pads with the old dampers and it turned out fine.

Last edited by Spokayman; 04-18-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I also used my OLD dampers. Just fine, no squealing.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 AM
jshalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN 303636
What ever this is, it has a slight seal leak and I am in the mood to fix it
It's the Variocam timing adjustment solenoid.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

re use your old dampers. I would suggest stock rotors, work fine, unless you do a lot of track days and are in the higher run groups. Speed costs $$$$ and you might want to switch to a Giro disc set-up, this way you only replace the rotor not the "hat" too. More expensive to start, less expensive in the long run.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN 303636
What ever this is, it has a slight seal leak and I am in the mood to fix it.

My rear rotors need replacement. May as well get new pads too. Looking for suggestions. 2000 C2...Daily driver/open track racing. Front rotors are new Mylie

I'm also curious about the rear brake pad 'anti-squeal' dampeners. Remove/replace or return to service? They seem to be rather expensive.

Appreciate your input...303636
Mine has had a small oil leak as well. Tightened the two bolts a little and it slowed down the drip, but still gets damp after a couple of weeks. No big deal, so I left it alone.

As far as the dampers, I took mine off both front and rear when changing pads. Slight squeak until I bedded them, now perfectly quiet. Now it takes longer to jack it up than to swap pads.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:55 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Meyle already the cheapest option and you put those on the front. The front is responsible for most of the braking so meyle rear rotors seems to make sense. I'm curious to see how long they last with your track sessions......
Old 04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Meyle already the cheapest option and you put those on the front. The front is responsible for most of the braking so meyle rear rotors seems to make sense. I'm curious to see how long they last with your track sessions......
I'm not sure meyle is available for rear ? I used Sebro for front and very happy - they are one of the oe suppliers - but I also need to do rears now - I saw ATE at good price - disc is made in China but if by ATE to their quality spec - should be ok ? Anyone have opinion on those for general road use and very occasional DE ?

I removed the old dampers with putty knife - one is broken and I sourced URO one from fcpeuro - much cheaper than oem ...

I'm running textar pads right now with no dampers - I'm getting "chattering" - not sure if that is just warpage in my old rotors or if that is lack of dampers ? Anyway going to replace rotors when I get time and put dampers back on ....

Quick Reply: What is this sensor please? Also rear rotor question.