Sponsored by:

A few questions from a noob 996 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM
RobVL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a noob 996 owner

Just purchased a 2004 AE 996 - a 40 year old dream come true! I would appreciate the sage advice from the forum on a few questions:

1) I had a PPI performed and was informed that the engine had been replaced. I found the original dealer (Tampa, FL) who provided me with the service history but no indication of an engine change. It appears that the car may have spent time in Ohio (snowbird?) so possible the engine was replaced there? Any suggestions on how I can find out when/where the motor was replaced?

2) I plan on doing much of maintenance myself as I am no stranger to blood, burns and permanent grease under the fingernails. I want to go ahead and change the oil and filter as I don't know when it was last done. Do you put the car on jack stands or ramps to get to the drain plug and filter? Will also be replacing the air filters (engine and cabin).

3) The car had an aftermarket Sirius unit (Sportster 5) installed that looks like it may have been wired through the antenna on the Becker CDR23. Doesn't work (Sirius unit is getting power but will not turn on) and looks very out of place so will remove it. I do want to be able to use my IPod and understand that Becker will add an Aux cable if I remove the unit and send it to them, along with $100. Are there any other aftermarket solutions I should consider? Also, I understand when I remove and reinstall the head unit I will need a code for the unit? Where can I find this code?

TIA!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Did you pull a Carfax on the car? If not, it might have some info on the engine swap.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

are you sure it was replaced? Seller can often claim many things. Is there no paperwork that came with the car from teh work being done? If not than assume it wasnt done.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
are you sure it was replaced? Seller can often claim many things. Is there no paperwork that came with the car from teh work being done? If not than assume it wasnt done.
RngTrtl, the PPI tech was the one who reported it had been replaced, so that would be a pretty certain thing.

The PPI tech should have noted the engine's serial number which may give an idea of the age of the rebuilt engine. IIRC, rebuilt engines have "AT" in the serial number.
As suggested above, I would look at CarFax and Autocheck both for clues as to where the car was owned/registered. From this info, you might be able to track down a Porsche dealership in the areas where the car resided for more sleuthing.

As to changing the oil, ramps or jackstands will work. Some don't use any lift at all (must be skinny).
Search the forum for more tips on all kinds of maintenance. Search is your friend.
The internet in general has tutorials and info on just about anything related to maintenance.

Last edited by Spokayman; 03-24-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Rob, congrats on your purchase. I suggest you get this book.

http://www.motorbooks.com/books/101-.../9780760344033

Ihave the Boxster edition and it has proved invaluable in providing hints and tricks for all kinds of things.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM
RobVL
Track Day

Thanks Spokayman.

The Indy who preformed the PPI did provide the engine number (and indicated it was a replacement). I don't have it at hand right now but will check it tonight.

I do have a Carfax and remember seeing that the car had been registered in Ohio so will see if I can narrow down the city and start contacting dealers. Speaking of Carfax - other than seeing the registrations and State inspections, very limited information. None of the service history was there even though it appears most was done at a dealer...

Great information out there on maintenance.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 PM
kab1994
Racer

Originally Posted by RobVL
Thanks Spokayman. The Indy who preformed the PPI did provide the engine number (and indicated it was a replacement). I don't have it at hand right now but will check it tonight. I do have a Carfax and remember seeing that the car had been registered in Ohio so will see if I can narrow down the city and start contacting dealers. Speaking of Carfax - other than seeing the registrations and State inspections, very limited information. None of the service history was there even though it appears most was done at a dealer... Great information out there on maintenance. Thanks!
I use rhino ramps to change my oil, as easy as it gets! Were you referring to sending Becker the original oem cdr23 to put an aux cable on for $100?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to register your serial no. with TAZ40JAHRE as he updates the 40th Anniversary Edition cars in a thread. It is currently on page 3. Might be able to get some insight as to the car's history if it was owned/registered by a RL member previously.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just purchased a 2004 AE 996 - a 40 year old dream come true! I would appreciate the sage advice from the forum on a few questions:

1) I had a PPI performed and was informed that the engine had been replaced. I found the original dealer (Tampa, FL) who provided me with the service history but no indication of an engine change. It appears that the car may have spent time in Ohio (snowbird?) so possible the engine was replaced there? Any suggestions on how I can find out when/where the motor was replaced?

2) I plan on doing much of maintenance myself as I am no stranger to blood, burns and permanent grease under the fingernails. I want to go ahead and change the oil and filter as I don't know when it was last done. Do you put the car on jack stands or ramps to get to the drain plug and filter? Will also be replacing the air filters (engine and cabin).

3) The car had an aftermarket Sirius unit (Sportster 5) installed that looks like it may have been wired through the antenna on the Becker CDR23. Doesn't work (Sirius unit is getting power but will not turn on) and looks very out of place so will remove it. I do want to be able to use my IPod and understand that Becker will add an Aux cable if I remove the unit and send it to them, along with $100. Are there any other aftermarket solutions I should consider? Also, I understand when I remove and reinstall the head unit I will need a code for the unit? Where can I find this code?

TIA!
The folks at Becker in New Jersey will install an aux jack into the back of the CDR23 and return it to you. The jack will go in one of the dummy toggle switches on the front fascia. You will want to locate the tool to use to pull the unit, which is very inexpensive (Pelican Parts?). The signal that is sent into the unit is apparently a mono signal, IIANM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Any reason you can't just install an aux input cable yourself? I did mine in about 15 minutes. I think I paid $6 or something like that for the cable. I plug it into the headphone jack of my ipod shuffle or my Android phone. Works great. Plenty of info on here how to do that. Very easy DIY - not even a 1 beer project.

Edit: I should say "I USED to plug it . . ." Dammit, I keep forgetting I sold my 996 last week.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 AM
RobVL
Track Day

Thanks for the info. I did order the stereo removal tools.

I have searched some but couldn't find a plug and play Ipod cable for the CDR23.

Will look into ramps as that seems much easier than jack stands.

Any advice on the stereo code?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

For the stereo code, look at your options code sticker under the frunk lid - sometimes people write it there. Look also in the front or back cover of the owners manual or on the page in the manual that describes the radio code operation. Failing that, you will probably need to visit the dealership.
My bad on the aux input cable - you are right that the cheap-n-easy mod won't work on the CDR23.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 AM
kab1994
Racer

Thanks for the info. I did order the stereo removal tools. I have searched some but couldn't find a plug and play Ipod cable for the CDR23. Will look into ramps as that seems much easier than jack stands. Any advice on the stereo code?
can you share where you got the removal tool?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil change

I just use Jack to lift car a few inches on passenger side - you don't really have to get under car to open drain plug and remove filter - just easier to get oil drain pan under there - then when almost all drained I let car down to get it level and get last bit of oil out - up again a few inches to put plug and filter back ( make sure O-ring is lubed and in correct groove on canister ( not all the way to the base but in the groove just slightly above base - that was most confusing part for me when I did first change) (also partially fill canister with fresh oil) - let car off Jack - fill 8qt - check level - fill to mid point on stick - beer time ....
Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 AM
brianwad
AutoX

Originally Posted by targa996
I just use Jack to lift car a few inches on passenger side - you don't really have to get under car to open drain plug and remove filter - just easier to get oil drain pan under there - then when almost all drained I let car down to get it level and get last bit of oil out - up again a few inches to put plug and filter back ( make sure O-ring is lubed and in correct groove on canister ( not all the way to the base but in the groove just slightly above base - that was most confusing part for me when I did first change) (also partially fill canister with fresh oil) - let car off Jack - fill 8qt - check level - fill to mid point on stick - beer time ....
Me too. I actually lift it 6 inches or more to create plenty of working space.

Also, the filter assembly is a little crowded so getting a quality filter wrench is a good idea. I actually use a strap wrench which is less than ideal but works.

Quick Reply: A few questions from a noob 996 owner