Sponsored by:

99 C2 key remote stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 C2 key remote stopped working

I have the 99 996 C2 and recently watched the video someone here on Rennlist posted which was the accompanying DVD intro video when the car was sold to the first owner. In it, the video describes a function I did not know about. It states that if you have windows and/or sunroof open and press the remote for >5 seconds, the windows and roof will automatically close. I tried it on my car and nothing happened. Not only this, but now the remote does not lock nor unlock the car. The LED flashes on the remote but nothing activates on the car's locking mechanism. What have I done? I thought it was the remote battery that had died but after replacing the battery the problem persists.
I called the service manager at Porsche here in Rochester. He said that the video is not accurate. Only by inserting the key into the door and twisting it to the "lock" position do the windows and sunroof close after 5 seconds. He suggested trying inserting the key into the ignition, turn on the ignition without starting and hold the remote button down for 10 seconds. No success. To ref lash the remote (if that's even necessary ) would cost $125. To replace the entire key, $300...

Any ideas?

Bob
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The few times one of my Porsche keys has manifested this behavior: no reaction from the car yet the LED flashes on the key head, or another is the LED is on all the time; a "fix" -- I forget now where I first learned of this -- is to carefully split the key module and remove the battery and flip it around re-install it backwards and leave it like this for a moment or two.

Then remove the battery and install it the right way 'round.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Refer to this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-working.html
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of mine stop working recently, and in my case, it was a dead remote.

The battery was replaced, LED flashes, but that's it. Tried all of the "tricks", including trying to have it reprogrammed to the car with PIWIS....no dice.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
I had one of mine stop working recently, and in my case, it was a dead remote.

The battery was replaced, LED flashes, but that's it. Tried all of the "tricks", including trying to have it reprogrammed to the car with PIWIS....no dice.
This happened to me and ended up getting a new key head which solved the issue.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Same here. The red LED would light up fine, but wouldn't lock or unlock. Since I didn't have a spare, bought two key heads from Sunset (got a Carrera GT head for one of them) and had them programmed at the dealership. All good to go!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

The light is on but no one is home!

I recently had to replace one of mine. I was able to replace mine through the indy shop as they had all of the equipment.

Quick Reply: 99 C2 key remote stopped working