New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:38 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Brilliant build!

Looks like you've done almost every conceivable mod!

Interestingly no LWFW?

Keep up the awesome work!
Thanks! Its coming together little by little!

I've put a LWFW in some of my past cars with mixed results, the acceleration improvements are fantastic however some were not as stable/predictable at idle than others. Its definitely on the list but not 100% sure yet, need to do more research on how the 3.6 has responded in other DD/Track cars.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:45 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Thanks! Its coming together little by little!

I've put a LWFW in some of my past cars with mixed results, the acceleration improvements are fantastic however some were not as stable/predictable at idle than others. Its definitely on the list but not 100% sure yet, need to do more research on how the 3.6 has responded in other DD/Track cars.
Ahh right, I have one on my 3.6 C2 personally think it's a great mod. No problem with the idle. Do need a sprung clutch disc. I have a cargraphic lwfw and the underdrive pulley. I have read mixed reviews and a lot of concern around imbalanced flywheels and harmonic balancing though. For me it makes driving more fun but also more difficult to take off! I Don't want to derail the thread with flywheel talk others might disagree with this mod.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by dan_189
Ahh right, I have one on my 3.6 C2 personally think it's a great mod. No problem with the idle. Do need a sprung clutch disc. I have a cargraphic lwfw and the underdrive pulley. I have read mixed reviews and a lot of concern around imbalanced flywheels and harmonic balancing though. For me it makes driving more fun but also more difficult to take off! I Don't want to derail the thread with flywheel talk others might disagree with this mod.
No worries, thanks for bringing it up. I'll definitely look into the LWFW a little more now. Appreciate the feedback.

Most interested in seeing what the final weight and dyno numbers are after all this. Should be pretty interesting. Soon!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Very cool project!I also wanted to put a bespoke street/track 911 together,and thought i would share it,it was a slippery slope,but in the end no regrets,it is a little more track then street as i do 5 to 6 DE events each year.alot of money spent i know,but done over time it hurts a little less.I realize for the money i spent i could have bought a gt3,however it was fun building i guess sort of my own version. 2003 CARERRA C2 MIDNIGHT BLUE,40TH ANNIVERSARY WHEELS(TRACK)TURBO TWIST (STREET).BILSTEIN PSS10s AND TARRET CAMBER PLATES,DROP LINKS FRONT AND REAR,AND REAR TOE LINKS WITH BUMP STEER,ALONG WITH REAR UPPER CONTROL ARM LINKS. RSS MOTOR MOUNTS AND TARMAC SERIES LOWER CONTROL ARMS FRONT AND REAR,, AND FUNCTION FIRST TRANSMISSION MOUNT INSERT, WITH H+R SWAY BARS AND WHEEL SPACERS,GIRO DISC TWO PIECE ROTORS FRONT AND REAR,STOP TECH PADS(STREET) PAGID RS29 YELLOW (TRACK) STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES,APEX COMPETITION TRACK STUDS, GT3 BRAKE DUCTS ,EURO SPEC GT3 ALIGNMENT. IPD PLENUM,RSS UNDERDRIVE PULLEY,FVD BROMBACHER MOTORSPORT OIL PAN,PORSCHE OEM SKID PLATE,CANTON/ACCUSUMP OIL SYSTEM,GT3 THIRD RADIATOR KIT, EVOLUTION MOTORSPORT COLD AIR INTAKE AND EVOMSit ECU FLASH, FVD 200 CELL SPORT CATS AND FVD STAINLESS HEADERS WITH TUBI MUFFLERS AND 40TH ANNIVERSARY TIPS,FACTORY AERO KIT 2,WITH MOTORSPORTS CUP SPLITTER,RENNLINE RADIATOR PROTECTION GRILLS.

,3M CLEAR BRA AND 3M CRYSTALINE WINDOW TINT, B +M SHORT SHIFT KIT,
RENNLINE TRACK MATS, EXTINGUISHER MOUNT AND ADJUSTABLE THROTTLE PEDAL,\MICHELIN PS2(STREET) AND MICHELIN CUP (TRACK) RUBBER,SOLARIS BULBS FOR RUNNING LIGHTS AND TURN SIGNALS,GT3 EURO/RECARO SEATS,TEQUIPMENT ROLL BAR W/ SCHROTE GT3 6 POINT HARNESSES,OEM ALUMALOOK INTERIOR ACCENTS, ALCANTARA TRIM WITH CONTRASTING STITCHING (STEERING WHEEEL,GEAR SHIFT.E-BRAKE DOOR PULLS AND STORAGE LIDS,STAINLESS DOOR ENTRY GUARDS, KENWOOD/EXCELON DNX6990/ALPINE AUDIO VIDEO SYSTEM WITH BACK UP CAMERA. BEL-TRONICS RADAR SYSTEM/WITH LASER INTERCEPTOR LASER JAMMERS. AIM DATA LOGGER AND HD CAMERA.
Attached Images          
Old 11-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you feel like selling, let me know.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:22 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went through the whole thread, I envy your lift, looks simple and practical, everything has been redone with upgrades, great to have a wife and kids so supportive with the time and mods!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
I just went through the whole thread, I envy your lift, looks simple and practical, everything has been redone with upgrades, great to have a wife and kids so supportive with the time and mods!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
The lift has paid for itself 10 fold. Here's where I got it.

I think a lot of people assume these are too expensive, won't use it enough or that they won't have enough space. I use it every week to tinker with something. Here in Seattle its hard enough to even find a house with a garage, got lucky that mine came with a great wife.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:07 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Been doing a little overtime in the garage this week.

Completed:

-Exhaust Installed - Headers/X-Pipe/Mufflers (Sounds Amazing)
-IPD Plenum/GT3 Throttle Body
-RSS Underdrive Pulley
-Lighter 997 Idler Pulleys
-Momo Steering Wheel with Rennline QD
-GT3 Console Delete
-Tarrett Endlinks Front and Rear Installed - I'm not sure how but one of my Custom Grade 8 Endlinks I made snapped at the ball joint. Must have hit a large pothole or something.
-Reset front and rear ride heights
-Reset sway bars
-Adjusted rebound/compression settings
-New wipers, duh its winter

Notes after a long drive last night:

-Its a totally different car. Much much quicker.
-No loss of low end. Butt dyno says gains from 3k-6k. Both might be attributed more to the plenum/TB than the exhaust.
-Sounds insanely better. I liked it already with the FisterD but its really opened up now. Growls.

Coming Next:
-Custom Tune at UMW
-GT3 Calipers with Coleman Rotors.
I sent a set of front and rear 997TT rotors from Pelican to Coleman for measurements. The final rotors will be Two-Piece front and rear, both fixed. Troy at Coleman just sent me the plans should anyone else want to do this in the future. The guys at Coleman have really been fantastic to work with. Link to Blueprints
-Upgraded Rear Thrust Arms and Control Arms
-Rear GT2 Brake Ducts
-EVOMS Intake - Big shout out to the EVO team. I've had my intake for a few weeks unfortunately without realizing it was missing the venturi coupler to attach the filter. They sent one out no questions asked with overnight shipping. Huge thanks!

Photos and Video coming soon.

Last edited by vandersmith; 12-05-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default Offseason Progress

Engine Bay Before:

Engine Bay After:

Exhaust Comparison:

Headers and X-Pipes Installed. I had to reinstall the modified FisterD mufflers as the new ones I picked up would not line up properly and need to the outlets expanded to fit the stock exhaust tip piping. Soon enough.

Throttle Body Comparison

Stock Throttle Body

GT3 Throttle Body

Plenum Comparison

Stock Plenum:<br/>77mm Inlet<br/>88mm Side Outlets

IPD Plenum:<br/>83mm Inlet<br/>88mm Side Outlets

Pulley Comparison

RSS Underdrive Pulley Installed

Last edited by vandersmith; 12-09-2015 at 03:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jlert (10-27-2022)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:25 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default Offseason Progress

Interior Before

Interior After

Momo Monte Carlo 350mm Steering Wheel - My absolute favorite wheel. Not too light, not too thick, just right.

Ecliptech Shift Light" Although you can see the tach here, from my seating position I can't see anything above 4k due to the steering wheel making this a little more of a must have. I have it set to light up from 3500-6500 then flash. Seems to work great so far for daily driving as only 1-3 lights come up on my commutes.

GT3 Console Delete - Its not the biggest reduction but its surprising how different the interior feels now. Haven't noticed any help in leg room other than just my spacial perception.

New LCD for Climate Control - eBay kit. Eh, it works now.

Rennline Quick Disconnect. A little spendy but man is it pretty and light. Total jewel piece. Big fan of great design and this doesn't disappoint.

Early Christmas Present. I may or may not be wearing this on conference calls in my home office.

Last edited by vandersmith; 12-09-2015 at 03:48 AM.
jlert (10-27-2022)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default December Update:

Engine
GT3 Throttle Body
IPD 82mm Plenum
EVOMS Intake and new MAF Sensor
Exhaust: Headers, X-Pipe, Hi-Flow Cats and FisterD Mufflers
LN Dual Row IMS Upgrade
FVD X51 Deep Oil Sump, Baffle and Pan
LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter and Magnet Sleeve
RMS
AOS
Coils/Plugs/Tubes
Water Pump and Low Temp Thermostat
Function First Motor Mounts

Drivetrain
New Sachs Clutch and Pressure Plate
997 Short Shifter
Agency Power Shift Linkage

Brakes
EBC Yellow Front Pads/Red Rear Pads
Zimmerman Front and Rear Rotors
Motul6 Super Gold Brake Fluid
SS Brake Lines
GT3 Front Brake Ducts

Suspension
KW V3 Coilovers
Eibach F/R Sway Bars
Tarett F/R Endlinks
Tarett Monoball Camber Plates
GT3 F/R Control Arms
Adjustable Rear Dogbones and Toe Links
Powerflex Bushings
Upgraded Thrust Arms

Wheels
HRE 540 19x9/19x12 with MSS
Turbo Hollow Twists with NT01
Apex Wheel Studs

Interior
Half Cage
Recaro Profi SPG XL Seats
RaceQuip 6pt Harnesses
GT3 Console Delete
Ecliptech Shift Light
Rennline Short Hub and Quick Release
Momo Monte Carlo 350mm Steering Wheel
Valentine One
Dension Gateway

Exterior
New Front Bumper and Lip
Paint Correction
Rolled Rear Fenders

Coming Soon
-GT3 Calipers with Coleman Two-Piece Rotors F/R
-Custom Tune at UMW
-Upgraded Rear Thrust Arms and Control Arms
-Rear GT2 Brake Ducts

I'll have videos up soon of the work especially the exhaust tone. The weather in Seattle hasn't been cooperating lately.

Last edited by vandersmith; 12-09-2015 at 05:32 AM.
jlert (10-27-2022)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Medevack1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Porsche family.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I found the MAF readings didn't register any improvements with the GT3 sized TB but at the same time, it shouldn't hurt either as you'll still have improved throttle response.

Originally Posted by vandersmith
GT3 Console Delete - Its not the biggest reduction but its surprising how different the interior feels now. Haven't noticed any help in leg room other than just my spacial perception.
You probably won't with those seats as they tend to limit your man spreading where as comfort seats allow more. I once drove over an hour without the side pads of the center console and that was no fun. Had a couple scrapes and cuts from the bare plastic.

Looks like you'll be able to drive her soon.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Weather is good today! Should have a few videos up this afternoon
Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM
vandersmith
Pro

January Update:

Worked with the guys at Coleman Racing to build custom two-piece, vented, slotted rotors. The new braking system will have the larger GT3 6pot/4pot Calipers and 355mm rotors all around. The new rotors are based on the 997T measurements and should have the corrected neutral bias. SS lines and the larger 997GT3 27mm Master Cylinder will push more fluid and firm up the pedal a bit. Hawk pads for the street, RS29s for the track. The rebuild kits from Racing Brake are going to be a big help with the GT3 calipers as some are missing the ceramic inserts and I wouldn't want to inherit any future issues they might have.

New track wheels and rubber are on the way. I went with 18x8.5/18x12 OZ Allegheritas in Gold and NT01s (235/40 - 315/30) after talking with many of my local track buddies. Tire Rack is on backorder for many of the lighter OZs but they should be here in the next few weeks.

Lots more to do!

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.